Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

Challenge Cup. The semi-final loss ends a streak o...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

Challenge Cup. The semi-final loss ends a streak of five straight tou

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/21 07:31AM
Latest post: 2014/07/21 07:31AM, Views: 233, Posts: 1
Challenge Cup. The semi-final loss ends a streak of five straight tou
#1   2014/07/21 07:31AM
wff0605
TORONTO -- Andy Roddick might want to rethink his retirement considering the way he handled rising Canadian tennis star Milos Raonic. The former top-ranked American defeated Raonic 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 in the Sport Chek Face-Off exhibition match on Friday night at Air Canada Centre. When Roddick -- known as much for his humour as his short fuse -- wasnt working the crowd like a seasoned pro, chatting with courtside fans between points and banging his racket against the net in mock anger, he was rallying with two breaks from down 3-1 to win the first set. "I hope not," Raonic responded when asked if Roddick might consider a comeback. Roddick, who retired at this years U.S. Open, had the crowd of 6,558 in hysterics in the second set as he imitated fellow tennis stars, such as Maria Sharapovas interminable serve, Rafael Nadals familiar clothing rituals and Novak Djokovics dexterity. Raonic looked on in amusement but didnt take any heat off his feared serve, pulling ahead 5-3 in the second with a blazing ace. The Texan could only shrug his shoulders after the ball zipped by his head. With the audience chanting for Raonic in the 10-point super-tiebreak, Roddick impressed with a down-the-line drop shot that put him up 9-6. Roddick, huffing and puffing early in the first set, jokingly called for a timeout to collect his breath. Before the match, he said his fitness regiment since retiring at this years U.S. Open has been less than stringent. "What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape," said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like Ive met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally -- Ive been completely committed ... The results have shown." The only prior meeting between the two was in the 2011 Memphis final where Roddick defeated the now No. 13-ranked Raonic of Thornhill, Ont., in three sets. That tilt produced a YouTube-worthy moment when Roddick won the title with an incredible diving forehand on match point. The two have often been compared to each other mostly for their powerful serves. "I like his game and I equally like the way he goes about his business," said the 30-year-old Roddick of his 21-year-old opponent. "Hes very diligent and he has the hunger to get better and not be satisfied, which will serve him well." For Raonic, Fridays event was about growing the game in Canada and from his viewpoint the sport is on the right track in this country. "Theres a lot of support, a lot of appreciation and interest in Canadian players, especially during Davis Cup," he said. "I think the kind of support were getting there is really amazing. Its something we want to keep building up." The exhibition also featured 15-time Grand Slam champion and world No. 3 Serena Williams taking on world No. 4 Agnieszka Radwanska in a rematch of this years Wimbledon final, albeit with the stakes decidedly lower. Radwanska took advantage of Williams disinterested start to break twice and jump out to an early 4-0 lead. Williams finally put some heat in her strokes in the fifth game, but it wasnt enough as she dropped behind 5-0. Williams woke up to win four straight games but Radwanska took the first set 6-4 on a sizzling backhand that her opponent opted not to chase. En route to a 3-2 lead in the second, Radwanska earned ample cheers from the fans when she hit a between-the-legs shot that Williams returned into the net. Radwanska aced on match point to earn a small measure of revenge for Wimbledon, defeating Williams 6-4, 6-4. The loss is unlikely to linger long with Williams, who is coming off one of the best seasons in her career. After a slow start, she won slam titles in both singles and doubles at Wimbledon, gold in singles and doubles at the London Olympics, a U.S. Open title and the WTA Championships last month. She also collected titles this year in Charleston, Madrid and Stanford. The 31-year-old says shes pleased with her season but isnt the type to dwell on what went right. "Im not a bit reflector," said Williams. "I always feel like I want to do more, I want to improve. Once you start reflecting ... you can become really satisfied. For me, Im always trying to do a bit better. Ill have more time to reflect after my career." Radwanska, a 23-year-old native of Krakow, Poland, won this year at Dubai, Miami and Brussels before reaching the final at Wimbledon. "It was a pretty good match. I was just happy I could play three sets against a grass tennis killer," said Radwanska of her Wimbledon date with Williams. The evening kicked off with a light-hearted mixed doubles match between Team Canada -- Raonic and Radwanska -- against Team USAs Roddick and Williams. The foursome were joined by an inter-changing mix of celebrities, including CBC personality George Stroumboulopoulos, Adrian Grenier of the HBO show "Entourage," "Bachelor" star Brad Smith and CFL commissioner Mark Cohon. All proved to be willing sports, though clearly of limited skill with a racket. Jerseys NFL Cheap . The announcement was posted on the Russia-based KHLs website. The extension runs through June 30, 2013. Both parties are required to "do everything in their power to reach a consensus" in the case of a disputed contract. Jerseys NFL Wholesale . The blast may have been even bigger for Detroits playoff chances. Cabreras home run gave the Tigers a five-run cushion they would end up needing and Justin Verlander struck out eight in seven innings in a 6-4 victory over the Minnesota Twins on Saturday that gave them a two-game lead in the AL Central. http://www.jerseysnflwholesale.us/ . Schussler was crowned the new womens 3,000-metre champion with a time of four minutes 9.51 seconds. The Winnipeg native placed ahead of Christine Nesbitt of London, Ont. Jerseys NFL China . Calvin Johnson was forced to settle for what he could get. Cheap NFL Jerseys . The International Ice Hockey Federationupholds suspensions from certified leagues. It notified USA Hockey on Monday that Noesen wont be allowed to play at the under-20 tournament that begins Dec.Canadas national senior womens sevens team dropped a tough semi-final against England at the Hong Kong Sevens on Saturday. The two teams had faced each other at the initial IRB Womens Sevens Challenge Cup event in Dubai, with Canada coming out convincing winners; Saturday, however, would be a different story. It is one of the great truths of elite sport that youre only as good as your last result and Saturday, Canada was beaten by a physical and clinical England squad. The big addition to the England roster was Womens World Cup flanker Heather Fisher, who dressed at hooker for her country in the semi-final. Fishers presence would be influential in the outcome. Head coach John Tait had hinted the Canadians would have to use their speed and passing in order to counter the physicality of their big and powerful opponents and for a while, that seemed to be way the match was playing out. Despite an early England breakaway try, Canada looked to stretch the England defence, with wide passes to big runners like Mandy Marchak. In one such effort, Marchak took a wide spin pass and raced 40 meters before being held-up on her feet by multiple England tacklers. Still, Canada looked to play a wide game. A series of well-worked cross-field passes eventually found Jenn Kish on an overlap, and Canadas hooker sprinted into the corner to bring the score even just before half-time. Canada was able to regain possession on a scramble, following the restart; however, once again Englands power in the contact area was evident. Using all of her back-row experience in the fifteens game, Fisher powered into a Canadian ruck and cleanly emerged with the ball, racing away down-field. A deft offload then allowed EEngland to score under the posts; meaning the English would take a 12-5 lead into the break.dddddddddddd That seemed to be a turning point. When the second half began, Fisher began to impose herself once more, putting big hits on Canadian players, who tried to gather Englands restart kicks. Canadas nerves began to show. The confident wide passes that were leading to opportunities early on were lacking in the second half as, time and again, passes were dropped or went astray. England, however, were far more clinical. The English were able to build a 22-5 lead, before Canada was finally able to answer through a consolation try by Mandy Marchak. Tait had the following words on the todays result: "We fell off too many tackles in the first half, which put a lot of pressure on ourselves to recover from," said Tait. "There was no lack of effort from the team, but we werent accurate with our passing or contact skills and a quality side like England makes you pay for that. We will regroup and continue to refine our skills and look to improve with a strong performance in London." The victory by England means they advance to the Grand Final of the Hong Kong Sevens against Australia to see who will claim the second leg of the IRB Challenge Cup. The semi-final loss ends a streak of five straight tournament victories for Canada, stretching back to the 2011 USA Sevens. Without question, Canadas women will be keen to examine this performance and return to their training in Langford, B.C. The opportunity of a re-match against England is not far away. Canadas next competition will be at the third and final leg of the IRB womens competition, at the London Sevens, in May. cheap jerseys from china ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes