Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

Hall of Famer who youve looked up to not only on t...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

Hall of Famer who youve looked up to not only on the golf side but ou

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/21 07:21AM
Latest post: 2014/07/21 07:21AM, Views: 279, Posts: 1
Hall of Famer who youve looked up to not only on the golf side but ou
#1   2014/07/21 07:21AM
wff0605
ARE, Sweden -- Mikaela Shiffrin showed that the American ski team can live without Lindsey Vonn, at least for a little while. In the first World Cup race since Vonn announced a break from the circuit, the 17-year-old Shiffrin picked up the slack quite successfully Thursday -- earning her first career victory by winning a night slalom ahead of Swedish home favourite Frida Hansdotter. Shiffrin has been touted as the next American skiing star and showed why under the floodlights on Ares Olympia course, putting down a perfect second run to finish with a combined time of 1 minute, 45.36 seconds. "This is huge," Shiffrin said. "I think the best part besides the skiing was the ceremony. It made me cry a little bit when I heard the American anthem." Shiffrin was second after the first run and was given quite a challenge by overall World Cup leader Tina Maze, who had a blazing second run to take a large lead just before the American was to ski. But Shiffrin kept her composure in a run that was even faster, setting a time that first-run leader Hansdotter couldnt match. Hansdotter was still ahead of the American at the first two intermediate times but wasnt as fast in the final section and finished 0.29 seconds behind for second place. Maze was third, 0.52 behind. "It wasnt two perfect runs but it was two fast runs," said Shiffrin. "Ahead of the second run, I guess I didnt really feel any pressure. It felt more like something was pushing me forward rather than something pulling me towards the finish line." Erin Mielzynski of Guelph, Ont., was fifth in a time of 1:46.71. "Fifth is great but when theres one or two of us on the podium that will be even better," Mielzynski said. "Just seeing how close we are in sections of runs, (the team) cant wait for the day when everything comes together and its our day." Brittany Phelan, of Mont-Tremblant, Que., was 22nd while Marie-Michele Gagnon, of Lac-Etchemin, Que., had the lead in the first section of her first run before going out. "Its positive to see the green (leaders) light but its also very disappointing to have three races of not finishing," Gagnon said. "My skiing is solid. I dont feel tired -- my physical strength is not an issue, its more mental. Im having some focus issues but its OK -- I will work on it." Hansdotter said she was happy despite missing out on her first career World Cup win in front of a home crowd. "Its only joy," Hansdotter said. "Of course, I was in the lead ahead of the second run, but at the same time, crossing the finish line as No. 2 here at home is fantastic." Vonn, who won her first World Cup race at 19, announced this week she was taking a break from skiing and returning to the U.S. over the holidays to fully recover from an intestinal illness that landed her in hospital last month. Shiffrin became the youngest womens World Cup winner since Lara Gut of Switzerland won a super-G in St. Moritz in 2008, also at 17. The U.S. Ski Team said shes the second youngest American woman to win a World Cup race behind Judy Nagel, who was three months younger when she won a slalom in Lienz, Austria, in 1969. Shiffrin already had two podium finishes in slalom, but the impressive victory is likely to create even higher expectations on the teenager. And shes not quite sure shes ready for that. "I dont really like the success," she said. "I like to sleep at night and I like to hang around the hotel room with my mom. Im afraid there might be a little hype with this. But Ill take it. This is what I love to do." Shiffrin now leads the World Cup slalom standings ahead of Maria Hoefl-Riesch of Germany, who was 11th Thursday. The American has 196 points, 22 points more than Hoefl-Riesch. But the teenager said shes not focusing on the Cup standings just yet. "My only focus is just to ski my best every day. Ill be happy with a world championship medal or a 15th place, as long as Im skiing my best," she said. Shiffrin said she plans to celebrate Christmas in Europe with her mother, Eileen, who travels the circuit with her daughter. "Shes my biggest help in the world. She keeps me focused and grounded," Shiffrin said. "Im sure shell talk to me in the next couple of days to make sure my head doesnt get too big." -- With files from The Canadian Press. Michael Kors Handbags Discount .L. -- The Syracuse Crunch overcame a 2-0 deficit to beat the St. Discount Michael Kors . Twice this season, the Bucks have rallied in the second half to beat the Bulls, including storming back from a 27-point deficit late in the third quarter at Chicago in November. http://www.discountmichael-kor... . Frank Francisco walked a pair of batters with the bases loaded and two outs in the ninth inning, then gave up a two-run double to Martin Prado that put the potential tying run on third and the go-ahead run on second. [url=http://www.discountmichael-korshandbags.com/]Discount Michael Kors Handbags .Y. -- Buffalo Bills running backs Fred Jackson and C.PRATTVILLE, Ala. - Lexi Thompson made a little more history Thursday in the Navistar LPGA Classic, opening her title defence with a career-best 9-under 63 to match the tournament record. Last year, Thompson became the youngest champion in LPGA Tour history at age 16, winning by five strokes. Fifteen-year-old amateur Lydia Ko broke the record last month in the Canadian Womens Open. Thompson had nine birdies in her bogey-free round on the links-style Senator course at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trails Capitol Hill complex. She missed only one green in regulation and had 26 putts. "It feels really good getting a first round of 63 under my belt, but you just have to take it one shot at a time," Thompson said. "Cant get ahead of yourself in this game, so just going to hope to play like I did today for the next three rounds." Mika Miyazato and Lindsey Wright shot 63 in the 2010 event. Thompsons previous best score on the LPGA Tour was a 65 in the final round of the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic. She missed a birdie putt on the 18th hole by about 6 inches. "I wasnt thinking about the course record, I was just trying to put a good stroke on it like every other putt," she said. Lizette Salas and Hee Young Park were tied for second at 65 in the final full-field event of the year. Hamiltons Alena Sharp and Charlottetowns Lorie Kane were in a group tied for ninth after shooting a 67. Samantha Richdale (71) of Kelowna, B.C., was tied for 52nd, while Rebecca Lee-Bentham (75) of Richmond Hill, Ont., was in a group tied for 112th. Isabelle Beisiegel (77) of Saint-Hilaire, Que., was tied for 126th and Kirby Dreher (78) of Fort St. John, B.C., was 129th. Following the pattern Thompson set last year en route to her lone tour victory, she had breakfast at the Waffle House down the street from the course. The plate of egg whites, wheat toast, hash browns and bacon was prepared specially by Thompsons favouurite cook, Valerie Perry.dddddddddddd "Well Valerie, shes the main cook there and she sings, so it keeps me relaxed, keeps me laughing before my round," Thompson said. "Its a good atmosphere. ... She sings Justin Bieber Baby pretty good, but puts bacon instead of baby. Its pretty funny." In the 2009 tournament as a 14-year-old amateur, she was tied for the lead after two rounds before finishing 27th. She was 16th in 2010. "I love being here in Alabama," Thompson said. "Im really comfortable out here. ... (The course) definitely rewards good shots, and thats what I like." Thompson averaged more than 266 yards on the two measured driving holes. "She really hits it far," said top-ranked Yani Tseng, Thompsons playing partner for the first two rounds. "On the par 3s, shes hitting a 9-iron and Im hitting an easy 7. It was a lot of fun watching her." Salas, 61st on the money list in her rookie season, had nine birdies and two bogeys in her best tour round. "I started seeing camera guys coming up and Im like, Uh, oh, here we go," Salas said. "The nerves always kick in. I just wanted to stay calm and do my thing. I got up and down on 18, and it was a good, solid day." Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez has mentored Salas. "Its just great to have the support from a Hall of Famer who youve looked up to not only on the golf side but outside of the golf course," Salas said. "Shes just a great role model not just for me but for all the young players out here." Third-ranked Stacy Lewis was three strokes back at 66 along with Karen Stupples, Amanda Blumenherst, Wendy Ward and Mi Hyang Lee. "It was actually a pretty frustrating 66," said Lewis, a two-time winner this year. "I had a ton of putts go right over the edge and just lip out." Tseng and Michelle Wie were eight strokes behind at 71. cheap jerseys from china ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes