Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

if Northwestern might claw its way back into this ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

if Northwestern might claw its way back into this one, Indiana answe

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/09 01:10AM
Latest post: 2014/07/09 01:10AM, Views: 261, Posts: 1
if Northwestern might claw its way back into this one, Indiana answe
#1   2014/07/09 01:10AM
wff0605
EL PASO, Texas -- Matt Barkley came to Southern California as a hot-shot recruit, seemingly destined to be the Trojans next star quarterback. For the most part he delivered on that promise during a record-breaking four-year run as USCs starter. Barkley, though, wont get to give a grand finale. He wont play in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech on New Years Eve because of a lingering injury to his right shoulder. Doctors didnt clear him to play, coach Lane Kiffin said. "Its a tough day," Barkley said. "As you heard from Coach Kiffin I wont be playing on the 31st. Ive worked as hard as I could to get back for this game, but natures not allowing it and the doctors arent allowing it, which is the most important thing. Theyre looking out for my best interest, and I trust their judgment in how things have turned out. Kiffin said Max Wittek will start. The redshirt freshman will be making his second career start. "Im still here for the guys and still trying to help Max and even Cody (Kessler), if he needs to play -- to help those guys get ready and with the game plan. Im trying to be here as much as I can for this team to finish strong." Barkleys throwing shoulder was injured during USCs second-to-last game against UCLA and he didnt play in the season-finale against Notre Dame. Wittek started the game and the Trojans lost to the Fighting Irish to fall to 7-5 on the season. "I know he wanted to play," Kiffin said. "He wanted to finish on a good note. Hes not been hurt very much in his four years here, but unfortunately when he has hes missed some really big games." Barkley was a celebrated prospect from southern California-- he went to the same high school as Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart -- who grew up dreaming of playing for USC. He won the starting job as a freshman in 2009, beat Ohio State on the road in second game of his career and appeared on the way to becoming a college football star to rival Leinart, Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez. Barkley went on to rewrite the Pac-12 record book during a USC-record 47 starts over four seasons, becoming the conference leader in touchdown passes, yards passing, completions and total offence. But so much more was expected from him and the Trojans this season, when Barkley announced last January that he would return for his senior year. Coming off a 10-2 season, and out of a two-year stay in NCAA jail for rules violations, USC started this season ranked No. 1 and a consensus national title contender. Barkley was the Heisman Trophy favourite and an almost certain high first-round NFL draft pick. Neither he nor the Trojans could reach those high expectations. Barkley was not bad. He threw for 3,273 yards in 11 games and 36 touchdowns. But he also threw 15 interceptions, the most since his freshman season. "Im at peace. Yeah, absolutely," Barkley said. "I try to find peace in every situation. Its not what I thought would happen, its not I dont think the most ideal situation. But at the same time, I do have peace and I know that whatever the case is right now, I can make it into a great case come April (in the NFL draft), which is what my goal is now." He will end his career having played in the post-season just once. He led USC to a victory against Boston College in the Emerald Bowl in 09 as a freshman. Barkley, the only three-time captain in USC history, owns 20 school records and 10 Pac-12 records. He is the Pac-12s leader in total offence (12,214), yards passing (12,327), completions (1,001), TD passes (116) and combined rushing and passing TDs (122). Hes also the only player in league history to have 2,500 yards or more of total offence four times. "I think that Matt has had a great career here at USC," Kiffin said. coach purses outlet .C. Lions victory over the Montreal Alouettes. The 36-year-old B.C. Lions slotback thought he would be in the lineup, despite a hamstring injury he suffered eight days earlier in Montreal, but coach Mike Benevides had other ideas. coach outlet . Baltimore was tied with the Yankees atop the American League East standings 10 times over the final month of the season, but was never able to move ahead of them. The Orioles again find themselves even with the Yankees in this series after another one-run win in Game 2 on Monday, but now the set shifts to the Bronx, where they were 6-3 this season and won all three of the series there. http://www.coachfactoryoutl... . Game after game after game. [url=http://www.coachfactoryoutlet-onlinestores.com/]coach outlet online . -- Ryan Grant isnt bitter. coach factory online outlet . Josh Hamilton hit his major league-leading 15th homer, Derek Holland pitched six innings of four-hit ball, and the Texas Rangers beat Baltimore 7-3 on Thursday night for a doubleheader split.EVANSTON, Ill. -- Cody Zeller could sense panic setting in. Then, just in time, Indiana regained its composure. Zeller scored 21 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, and the No. 2 Hoosiers beat Northwestern 67-59 on Sunday. Jordan Hulls added 15 points, Christian Watford scored 14 and the Hoosiers (16-2, 4-1 Big Ten) hung on after things got tense down the stretch. They led by as many as 17 in the first half and were up 31-17 at the break. But Northwestern (11-8, 2-4) responded with a 1-3-1 trap in the second half, leading to rushed shots by Indiana. The Wildcats pulled within five three times, but the Hoosiers hit seven of eight free throws in the final 57 seconds to prevail after seeing a six-game win streak end with a loss to Wisconsin last week. "They just kind of sped us up for a while," Zeller said. "We were kind of panicked for a while. Thats what their defence kind of forces you to do. Once we started getting into the middle, getting to the baseline, then we started getting open shots." Zeller, the Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year, hit nine of 10 free throws and dominated inside as Indiana pounded the Wildcats 36-24 on the glass. "It just seemed like he was everywhere," Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said. "He gets to the line a lot and makes his foul shots." Victor Oladipo scored seven points for Indiana, but hit a key 3-pointer late in the game after taking a blow to the right eye midway through the second half. That happened right before Northwesterns Dave Sobolewski made a 3, and he had a patch on his right eye after the game. Oladipo said Sobolewski was "kind of doing a swim move" right before the shot and they collided. "I couldnt see, so I went to the locker room for a little while," he said. Oladipo said he would have the eye examined once the team returned home. Reggie Hearn scored 22 for Northwestern, which refused to go away quietly in this one after beating No. 23 Illinois on Thursday. Overmatched in the early going, the Wildccats scored eight straight to pull within 47-42, a free throw by Hearn with 6:34 left in the game capping that run.dddddddddddd Zeller than scored on a layup and got called for a foul on the play. After Sobolewski hit a free throw for Northwestern, Zeller tipped in a miss by Hulls. Oladipo hit a long 3 to make it 54-43 with 4:52 left, but Northwestern wasnt finished. Three free throws by Hearn and a 3-pointer from the corner by Jared Swopshire (13 points) cut it to 56-51. Swopshires layup made it 58-53 with just more than two minutes left, but the Hoosiers hung on from there. "It took us a little bit to get the ball where we wanted it against their 1-3-1," coach Tom Crean said. "And I think theyll see on the film where we missed some opportunities and how we wanted to attack it, where we wanted to get the ball, but we reversed it. And that was the key. The other night against Wisconsin, it was almost two to one on balls being shot on the first side rather than the second and the third side." Against Northwestern, he saw a team that was "locked in to whats important." With most of the crowd decked out in cream and crimson, the Hoosiers wasted no time taking control. Watford scored 11 in the first half and had eight as Indiana grabbed a 13-4 lead, and when it looked as if Northwestern might claw its way back into this one, Indiana answered with nine straight. They got two tip-ins from Zeller and a 3 from Watford in transition before Hulls drove for a layup that made it 26-9 with 4:33 left, crashing to the court as the ball fell through the net. But Northwestern regrouped in the second half. The trap helped, even if Indiana finished with just six turnovers. "If we defend, well be OK," Sobolewski said. "Thats about it. We started defending really well in the second half. We went to the 1-3-1 zone and it was causing them trouble. They werent getting the shots they wanted. They were turning the ball over. You could tell, they were a little sped up." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes