Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

t to overload the 24-year-old right-hander. They h...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

t to overload the 24-year-old right-hander. They have scored just

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/06 09:11AM
Latest post: 2014/07/06 09:11AM, Views: 308, Posts: 1
t to overload the 24-year-old right-hander. They have scored just
#1   2014/07/06 09:11AM
wff0605
BOSTON -- The Los Angeles Angels needed a strong outing by their starter after a disastrous series that wrapped up a disappointing homestand. They got it from Ervin Santana. The right-hander pitched 6 1-3 solid innings and the Angels beat the Boston Red Sox 5-3 on Tuesday night after getting swept in a four-game series against Tampa Bay. "I dont see our guys tense or anything," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Theyre frustrated and they went through a very tough homestand. The only thing thats going to cure that is to start to play to your potential and start to win." Mark Trumbo did that against Boston after getting just 14 hits in his previous 76 at-bats. His career-best 30th homer, a two-run shot, gave the Angels a 5-0 lead in the fifth. "I cant pinpoint one thing," he said. "It just feels more like my swing when its going well. I always try and drive the ball, but maybe my swing was overly aggressive. I tried to tone it down a little bit." The Angels are four games behind Baltimore for the second wild-card berth in the AL. After three games in Boston, they have three in Detroit, which is one spot and 2 1/2 games ahead of them. Los Angeles playoff hopes took a beating when it went 3-7 on the homestand that ended Sunday. But Santanas performance was a rare strong outing for the Angels starters, who entered the game with a 6.76 ERA in in August and had allowed 27 runs in 17 1-3 innings in the series against the Rays. Santana is 3-0 in his last five starts after going 0-3 in his previous five. "I always have confidence," he said. "When we started to score runs it just builds my confidence more." Santana (7-10) allowed two runs on five hits with four strikeouts and two walks, leaving after throwing 100 pitches. He gave up three runs or less for the fourth time in five starts. Mike Trout had two hits, giving him 139 in the first 100 games of his rookie season, the most since 1964 when Tony Oliva had 144 for Minnesota. But his streak of 30 successful stolen base attempts ended in the eighth when Jarrod Saltalamacchia threw him out at second base on a pitchout. Ernesto Frieri pitched the ninth for his 15th save in 16 opportunities. Aaron Cook (3-7) was touched for five runs on 11 hits in five innings and fell to 1-6 in his last eight starts. Boston lost for the fifth time in seven games overall. "I felt pretty good. I felt like I was making pitches. They just were finding holes with those singles," he said. Until the homer that flew far over the left-field wall. "Trumbo just hit a ball about as hard as you can hit one," Cook said. The Angels took a 1-0 lead in the third on an RBI single by Albert Pujols that drove in Trout, who had singled and moved to second on Cooks wild pickoff attempt. It was Trouts 97th run, breaking a tie with Joe Jackson of the Cleveland Indians for second-most runs in the first 100 games of a career since 1900. Jackson did it in 1911. Joe DiMaggios 100 runs in 1936 are the most. Los Angeles added two runs on five singles in the fourth. Howie Kendrick and Alberto Callaspo got the first two hits. Erick Aybar then singled, scoring Kendrick and sending Callaspo to third. But Aybar was caught in a rundown and tagged between first and second. Chris Iannetta then singled in Callaspo. The Angels made it 5-0 in the fifth on a single by Kendrys Morales and Trumbos 30th homer, surpassing his personal best set last year. The Red Sox managed just four hits in the first five innings then cut the lead to 5-2 in the sixth on Saltalamacchias 21st homer of the year following a walk to Cody Ross. Boston scored its final run in the seventh when Scott Podsednik doubled, took third on a groundout and came home on a wild pitch by Jordan Walden. "We have to play better collectively," Ross said. "Were just not playing together. It seems like we get chances, opportunities, have pitchers on the ropes and try to do too much." Notes: The last time Trout was out trying to steal was June 4 against Seattle. ... All of Bostons uniformed personnel wore the No. 6 on the backs of their jerseys in honour of former Red Sox player, manager and broadcaster Johnny Pesky, who died Aug. 13 at age 92. A moment of silence was held during a pregame ceremony. ... The Red Sox placed LF Carl Crawford on the 15-day disabled list with a left elbow injury, optioned 3B Danny Valencia to Triple-A Pawtucket and activated OF Daniel Nava and RHP Vicente Padilla from the disabled list. ... The teams met for the first time this season, the latest that has happened in the history of their series. coach handbags outlet . But, these days ... not so much. While the Pittsburgh Steelers stayed in the thick of the conferences muddled playoff chase last week, the San Diego Chargers have done nearly everything to ensure theyll not be playing next month. coach outlet online . Everyone remembers the Dream Team that Canada iced during the last lockout at the 2005 World Juniors in Grand Forks, North Dakota, when a star-studded lineup that included Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Dion Phaneuf and Shea Weber dominated en route to a gold medal. http://www.coachfactory-outl... . -- On an improved defence last season, the Washington Redskins safety play was still a weak link. [url=http://www.coachfactory-outletstoreonline.com/]coach outlet . PETERSBURG, Fla. coach purses outlet .S. Open. The former Australian Open runner-up was shown the door by Martin Klizan, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3, at Armstrong Stadium. ST. LOUIS -- Jaime Garcia has always been a better pitcher at Busch Stadium than on the road. The New York Mets saw just how much better the lefty can be. Garcia carried a shutout into the eighth inning and Yadier Molina got his 1,000th career hit with an infield single that started a three-run second against rookie Matt Harvey in the St. Louis Cardinals 5-1 victory Tuesday night. For his career, Garcia is 18-11 with a 2.42 ERA at home, and 13-11 with a 4.59 ERA on the road. The disparity is more than three earned runs per game this year, 2.63 vs. 5.80. "You dont ignore trends. Statistics are what they are, its data," manager Mike Matheny said. "But theres no great explanation for it because he has good stuff. "He has better than good stuff -- he has great stuff." Asked twice about the comforts of home after the game, Garcia had little to offer. "Its part of the game sometimes," he said. "Sometimes, you feel good at home. But I dont know." Daniel Descalso and David Freese had two hits and an RBI apiece for the Cardinals, who are 42-26 at home for the second-best mark in the National League. St. Louis will go for a three-game sweep Wednesday with Adam Wainwright facing 17-game winner R.A. Dickey. The defending World Series champions have a slim lead over the Los Angeles Dodgers for the NLs second wild card. Descalso botched a double-play grounder in the eighth but also stole third in the sixth, putting him in position to score on John Jays groundout against Justin Hampson that made it 4-0. Pinch-hitter Mike Baxter hit a bases-loaded sacrifice fly off Lance Lynn in the eighth. Left fielder Adron Chambers, who ran for Matt Holliday in the seventh, caught Daniel Murphys drive at the left-field wall to end the threat and then bounced into the fence in front of the visitors bullpen. "Thats that football coming out of me," said Chambers, a former defensive back at Southern Mississippi. "I was glad I was able to make that play, give me another opportunity to see what I can do." Holliday left the game with lower back tightness after walking to start the seventh. The Cardinals said Holliday, among the league leaders with 92 RBIs,, was day to day.dddddddddddd "It just tightened up," Matheny said. "So well re-evaluate tomorrow." Garcia (4-6) gave up an unearned run in 7 1-3 innings for his first victory in five decisions since May 16 and first in four starts since coming off the disabled list. He was sidelined for 64 games by a shoulder strain. In two home starts since then hes allowed one run in 15 1-3 innings while going 0-2 on the road and giving up 10 runs in 11 1-3 innings. Garcia is 2-2 at home with a 2.63 ERA this year and 2-4 with a 5.80 ERA on the road. Molina got a prolonged ovation after barely beating David Wrights throw on a slow roller up the third base line for his milestone hit. The Cardinals added three more singles by Freese, Skip Schumaker and Descalso to open the inning. "He hung a couple of breaking balls up," Mets manager Terry Collins said about Harvey. "They spray it around. Theyre a good-hitting club." That was the only spot of trouble for Harvey, the Mets 2010 first-round draft pick, whose five-inning stint matched the shortest of his eight career starts. His string of four consecutive quality starts was the Mets best in a single season by a rookie since Jae Seo had six straight in 2003. "Im not happy about it," Harvey said. "Ive got to go out there, go deeper in the game. Ive got to get quicker outs, keep the pitch counts down, and I didnt do that tonight. "I should have been better." Harvey (3-4) has thrown 157 1-3 innings this season, including 110 for Triple-A Buffalo, and may have only one left because the Mets dont want to overload the 24-year-old right-hander. They have scored just 16 runs while Harvey was in the game. Collins said the Mets havent made a final decision on Harveys workload, but added: "Theres not going to be many more." NOTES: Garcia had three sacrifice bunts after entering the game with one in his first 14 starts. ... Retired Missouri basketball coach Norm Stewart and Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis threw out first pitches. Laurinaitis left shortly after his appearance to study film for Sundays opener at Detroit. ... RHP Jeurys Familia, among the Mets call-ups, worked a scoreless eighth in his major league debut. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes