Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

home base. But Rosinsky doesnt have a Teflon chin,...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

home base. But Rosinsky doesnt have a Teflon chin, as Pavlik pro

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/05 04:50AM
Latest post: 2014/07/05 04:50AM, Views: 280, Posts: 1
home base. But Rosinsky doesnt have a Teflon chin, as Pavlik pro
#1   2014/07/05 04:50AM
wff0605
CLEMSON, S.C. -- Tajh Boyd is focusing on what No. 10 Clemson can still accomplish. Hes also becoming a big Maryland fan, at least for a week. Boyd threw for 261 yards and three touchdowns as Clemson trounced Maryland 45-10 on Saturday, the Tigers sixth straight win overall and record 12th in a row at Death Valley. Clemson (9-1, 6-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) kept on track for a second straight double-digit victory season. Yet its unlikely the defending ACC champs can supplant No. 8 Florida State as Atlantic Division winners and get a chance to win a second consecutive title. Boyd watched with several teammates last Thursday night when the Seminoles, who defeated Clemson 49-37 back on Sept. 22, got a last-minute TD to squeak out a 28-22 win at Virginia Tech. The Tigers lone hope is for these same Terps (4-6, 2-4) to rise up at home next week and defeat Florida State. "As a fan, I was like, Oh, man, thats something," Boyd said of Florida States comeback. "But we cant worry about anything else other than what we have to do and thats win all the games we have left." And theres plenty out there if the Tigers do that. Theyd achieve their first 11-win season -- Clemson plays North Carolina State and rival South Carolina at home the next two weeks -- since going 12-0 in their national championship season of 1981. Theyd also extend the programs longest home win streak. "Theyve been playing football here for 116 years and I think its kind of special that this group did it," offensive co-ordinator Chad Morris said. Perhaps most of all, a successful finish might bring the Tigers a second straight bid to the BCS, something theyd desperately love given last years 70-33 Orange Bowl debacle against West Virginia. All that, Boyd said, is for another day. "Theres a standard were trying to play to each time we go out there," he said. Clemson set the standard early against the banged-up Terps, who again started linebacker Shawn Petty at quarterback because of season-ending injuries to their four scholarship passers. The Tigers ended things early as Boyd threw for a 13-yard touchdown to Adam Humphries and a 28-yard score to DeAndre Hopkins. In between, defensive end Corey Crawford returned a fumble by Petty 16 yards for a touchdown as part of his teams 21-point first quarter. Clemson star receiver Sammy Watkins left the game in the second quarter with an ankle injury. He said he couldve returned if the outcome had been in doubt, but the coaches decided not to take chances. Watkins is expected to play against the Wolfpack next week. This one was a mismatch from the start, mostly because Maryland was still counting up its injured players. Besides the four scholarship quarterbacks lost for the season, Maryland was without leading tackler Demetrius Hartsfield because of a torn ACL and star freshman Stefon Diggs due to a bad ankle. "These kids are fighting and battling and thats what well continue to do," Maryland coach Randy Edsall said. It was little surprise things got out of hand early. The Tigers scored on their second possession, Humphries stretching out in the end zone to make his first career touchdown grab. Twelve seconds later, Petty was chased down by Crawford, who forced a fumble, scooped up the ball and scored. The span between TDs was the shortest in Clemson history, bettering the 14 seconds it took former star Derrick Hamilton to score twice against Duke in 2003. And Clemson wasnt done. Petty fumbled again after he was sacked by Malliciah Goodman and the Tigers cashed in moments later on Boyds 28-yard scoring pass to Hopkins. A Tigers mistake -- Humphries muffed a punt catch inside his own 20 -- led to Marylands lone score as Petty connected with Devonte Campbell. The Terrapins looked like they had something else going when they forced Boyd to fumble while driving for touchdown on their own 1 and tailback Brandon Ross followed with a 44-yard run to midfield. But Petty was sacked for a loss of 15, Maryland punted and Clemson began a 66-yard drive that ended on Andre Ellingtons 6-yard touchdown run for a 35-7 lead. It was the third straight game the Tigers put up 35 points or more in the first half, a program first. Clemson outgained Maryland 310 yards to 90 in the opening half. Petty hung tough, but struggled against Clemsons defence. He finished 6 of 11 for 41 yards and a touchdown. He also fumbled twice. Edsall acknowledged Petty is in a difficult spot, adding the coaches have stressed to him the need to take care of the ball. The Terps were also 1 of 13 on third down tries. "You just cant do that against a top-ten team in the country," he said. Ross gained 100 yards on 16 carries for Maryland, whose 180 yards of offence were a season low. coach outlet online . Chambers, a wide receiver from Wilfrid Laurier, is the third-ranked prospect heading into the CFL Canadian Draft on Thursday. coach handbags outlet . -- There is no denying Daniel Alfredsson is the face of the Ottawa Senators, but at age 40 the teams captain might not be playing that role for much longer. http://www.coachfactoryoutletweb.com/... . But Henry defended the Fenway Sports Groups cautious approach to the summer transfer window, despite a 2-0 loss to Arsenal on Sunday leaving Liverpool with just one point after three matches of the Premier League season. [url=http://www.coachfactoryoutletweb.com/]cheap coach handbags . Olivier Occean scored in the second half and 10-man Canada held on for a 1-0 win over Cuba to kick off the third stage of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying Friday. coach factory outlet . Thirty-one players remain in camp, including four goaltenders, 10 defencemen and 17 forwards. "Youre just sitting there waiting, hoping you dont get that phone call. Its pretty touch, nerve-wracking,” said Pouliot, the Pittsburgh Penguins eighth overall pick from this past summers NHL Draft. "Theres a lot of good D-men at this camp and the coaches had to make the decisions and unfortunately I was one of the guys who got let go.CARSON, Calif. - Nonito Donaire figured a little-known opponent called the Marvelous Mongoose probably would be trouble. The four-division champion still figured out a way to take a big step in his quest to unify the 122-pound belts. Donaire added the IBF super bantamweight title to his WBO strap with a unanimous decision over South Africas Jeffrey Mathebula on Saturday night, earning his 28th consecutive victory. Donaire (29-1, 18 KOs), the Filipino-born fighter raised in Californias Bay Area, landed bigger shots and showed more aggression throughout the bout. He knocked down Mathebula with a vicious left hook in the fourth round, but Mathebula used his 4 1/2-inch height advantage and a tremendous work rate to keep the bout competitive. "It was tough. He got me off the jab really well," Donaire said. "That jab really took me out of my power range. Hes a great champion. He wouldnt let me get in there and let me work." Donaire really did try just about everything, using an extensive variety of punches against Mathebula (26-4-2) and repeatedly attempting to land knockout shots from all angles. He didnt succeed because Mathebula adeptly avoided punishing exchanges, but Donaire largely controlled the early and late rounds. The Filipino Flash finished with a strong 12th round, and the judges scored the bout 117-110, 118-109 and 119-108 for Donaire. The Associated Press also favoured Donaire, 116-111. "I attacked, I had good balance, and I had a lot of fun in there," Donaire said. "My goal is to be a unified champion. I want to unify all of the belts at 122." Former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik also got a comfortable unanimous decision over Will Rosinsky at the Home Depot Center south of Los Angeles. Donaire landed his biggest punch in the fourth round, cracking Mathebula with a left hook that recalled Donaires knockout punch against Vic Darchinyan in July 2007, the fight that catapulted him to stardom. Mathebulas feet left the ground when he tumbled into the corner right before the bell, but he gathered his wits on his stool and came back with a courageous fifth round. "The better man won," Mathebula saiid.dddddddddddd"I respect him. I believe I showed that I have the heart of a warrior. I made it a competitive fight in every round, and I showed it wasnt just a one-way track." Mathebulas camp said he cracked a tooth during the 11th round, and the pain affected his attack in a one-sided round. Mathebula won his belt with a split-decision victory over Takalani Ndlovu in March, but he was fighting outside South Africa for just the second time in his career "Its very hard to box a very tall fighter like that, but he broke him down round by round," said Robert Garcia, Donaires trainer. Although Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs) didnt dazzle, he won his fourth straight bout since taking a year off from boxing after losing his two middleweight belts to Sergio Martinez in April 2010. Pavlik has rebuilt his career and his life after breaking free of bad influences in his native Youngstown, Ohio, and moving his training camp to Ventura, Calif., under Garcias training. Pavliks victory over Rosinsky (16-2) was his second fight in four weeks, and the former champ persevered through a cut above his left eye to pick apart the Queens EMT with big edges in power punches (45-33) and total punches landed (227-159). "Hes a very good, solid fighter, very busy," Pavlik said about Rosinsky. "He gave me good work. I always thought I was ahead, but now I want a big fight in the fall." Rosinsky, a self-described boxing hobbyist when he isnt saving lives, is from the Ozone Park neighbourhood in Queens, best known as late mobster John Gottis home base. But Rosinsky doesnt have a Teflon chin, as Pavlik proved when he knocked down Rosinsky with a short right hand in the second round. Pavliks punches didnt appear to have the same destructive power he possessed at the height of his career, but he landed more big shots and matched Rosinskys punch output after a slow start. Pavlik mentioned Lucian Bute and Andre Ward as his ideal next opponents. Patrick Willis, the San Francisco 49ers All-Pro linebacker, attended the show to support his cousin, Tacoma-based heavyweight Jonte Willis, who was stopped by prospect Andy Ruiz Jr. in the eighth round. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes