Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

The New Jersey Devils raced to an early 3-0 lead, ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

The New Jersey Devils raced to an early 3-0 lead, saw is slip away, then broke the tie late in the third period to claim a 3-2 series lead, winning Game Five against the New York Rangers, 5-3, at Madison Square Garden. In the end, it was the Devils fourth

Started by wde, 2014/05/22 03:26AM
Latest post: 2014/05/22 03:26AM, Views: 255, Posts: 1
The New Jersey Devils raced to an early 3-0 lead, saw is slip away, th...
#1   2014/05/22 03:26AM
wde
The New Jersey Devils raced to an early 3-0 lead, saw is slip away, then broke the tie late in the third period to claim a 3-2 series lead, winning Game Five against the New York Rangers, 5-3, at Madison Square Garden. In the end, it was the Devils fourth line that made the difference. Ryan Carter, who scored with less than five minutes remaining in the third period, played 7:44 in Game Five, less than any other Devil. Carter had eight points and was minus-12 in 65 regular season games and now has five points and a plus-5 rating in 16 playoff games. Carter was set up for the winning goal by Stephen Gionta, who also scored the first goal of the game. If Carter is an unlikely hero, he had to be considered more likely than Gionta, a 28-year-old who played one regular season game for the Devils and scored all of 16 points in 58 AHL games this year. With a goal and an assist in Game Five, Gionta now has six points in 17 playoff games. While the totals from Gionta and Carter seem modest, they are valauble contributions from the fourth line. (Gionta, by the way, played 9:49, second-lowest on the team, ahead of only Carter.) Once the Devils had established a 3-0 lead before the midway point of the first period, it looked daunting for the Rangers, but there is a benefit to falling behind by three goals with more than 50 minutes remaining -- there is more time to climb the mountain when the deficit is established so early. Even when the Devils were building their lead, they werent controlling the play and the Rangers outshot them 28-16 for the game. The Devils had fewer than 16 shots on goal twice in 98 previous games this season, including a game against the Rangers at MSG on February 27. With a sense of urgency, the Rangers clawed their way back into the game, first with Brandon Prust sliding a backhand under a sprawling Martin Brodeur, then goals in the first minute of both the second and third periods, when Ryan Callahan deflected a pass in off his leg and then Marian Gaborik banked a shot in off Brodeur after Brdoeur was caught out of position when the puck got away from him into the corner where he couldnt play it. Once the Rangers tied the game early in the third period, they continued to hold the momentum, but couldnt take the lead, opening the door for Carter to play the unlikely hero. While the Devils fourth liners made a difference, its worth noting that Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise each finished with two points after Parise iced the game with an empyt-net goal. Rangers defenceman Michael Del Zotto had a tough night, finishing minus-3, while Brad Richards and Mike Rupp were minus-2. Rangers centre Brian Boyle won 13 of 14 draws (92.9%). When the Rangers had all the momentum, it looked like they might find a way to win a series that has been largely controlled by the Devils, but after New Jersey stole a win, in a game in which they were outplayed, the Blueshirts now face a huge challenge, needing a win on the road in Game Six, just in order to have a chance to win the series in Game Seven. One thing is certain, if Henrik Lundqvist isnt at the top of his game (unlike Game Five, when he stopped just 12 of 16 shots), then the Rangers wont have a chance. Scott Cullen can be reached at Scott.Cullen@bellmedia.ca and followed on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tsnscottcullen. For more, check out TSN Fantasy on Facebook. Coach Outlet . Dmitrij Jaskin added an empty-net goal for the Czech Republic (1-1). Teuvo Teravainen had the lone goal for Finland (1-1). The win by the Czech Republic tightened up the standings in Pool A. Coach Factory Outlet . The Arsenal winger missed two matches near the end of the Premier League season after injuring his left hamstring during a game against Chelsea. And it was troubling Walcott again on Sunday, forcing him out England training early as a precaution after feeling a "slight tightness," coach Roy Hodgson said. [url=http://www.official-coach-shop.com/]http://www.official-coach-shop.com/[/ur... . There wasnt much more for the former International Boxing Federation super-middleweight champion from Montreal to say about his bout against heavy-hitting Russian Denis Grachev on Saturday night at the Bell Centre.BIEL, Switzerland -- Tyler Seguin is settling in to his new surroundings. The locked-out Boston Bruins forward has spent the past month in Switzerland, where hes found a home with EHC Biel during the NHLs work stoppage. The 20-year-old has quickly established himself as a dangerous player on the larger international ice surface with eight goals and 16 points in 12 games. "I think Im still adapting," said Seguin. "There are still plays out there that I feel like I can still make better reads. I think its just going to keep coming with experience in this league. "Hopefully, Ill keep improving." Seguin seems to have taken his game to another level recently, recording a hat trick during a win over Ambri-Piotta last week and following it with a two-goal effort in a victory over Zurich three nights later. "The last games hes coming on like crazy," said coach Kevin Schlapfer. The trip abroad has been a positive experience for Seguin, who is still playing under an entry-level contract in the NHL and could have been assigned to the American Hockey League before the lockout. Instead, he was one of the first Canadian-born players to sign overseas. "Right when I heard there was going to bbe a lockout I told my agent right away that I wanted to go to Europe," said Seguin.dddddddddddd "I just thought it would be cool to see what its like to be a professional hockey player in Europe. Its been a fun ride so far, Ive gained some good friendships over here." Biel sits sixth in the 12-team Swiss league and has called in more reinforcements. Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane arrived on Sunday and is expected to make his debut against Zug on Tuesday. Seguin briefly met Kane prior to the 2010 draft, when he was one of the top prospects who attended a game during the Blackhawks-Flyers Stanley Cup final. "Im relatively new to the NHL so Im still a fan of his," said Seguin. "Im looking forward to actually getting to know him better and maybe even playing with him." For now, Schlapfer is still trying to determine how hell use his NHL stars. Hes toyed with the idea of starting them on different forward lines and then combining them occasionally when the team needs boost. "They have the same style," said Schlapfer. "They like to fly on the ice, to skate, and theyre mobile. I think thats a good combination for the hockey here in Switzerland." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes