Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

lassic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings - Cou...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

lassic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings

Started by lili, 2014/05/18 02:32AM
Latest post: 2014/05/18 02:32AM, Views: 331, Posts: 1
lassic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings
#1   2014/05/18 02:32AM
lili
WINDSOR, Ont. -- Locked-out NHL players returned to the ice to raise money for charity on Saturday. Kevin Westgarth of the Los Angeles Kings scored four goals as Team White beat Team Black 17-11 in Rock Out the Lockout at the WFCU Centre in Windsor, Ont. Proceeds from the game went to Sparkles from Above, a charity for children with cancer, with 4,500 enthusiastic fans giving the players a standing ovation after the final buzzer. The score-fest saw goaltenders from the Detroit Red Wings competing at both ends of the ice. Jimmy Howard suited up for Team Black while Jonas Gustavsson shared netminding duties with Michael Leighton of the Philadelphia Flyers for Team White. Shootout goals from intermission competitions counted in the overall score of the game. While the game highlighted the offensive prowess of many players, it was also a showcase to show their resolve in the face of negotiations with NHL owners that came to a halt on Thursday. Steve Ott of the Buffalo Sabres, who organized the game along with Dan Cleary of the Detroit Red Wings and Shawn Horcoff of the Edmonton Oilers, said the players have dug in and are ready to negotiate as long as necessary to get a deal done. "There is a bargaining process that has to be done in order to get a deal done, but its really frustrating when Gary (Bettman) comes out on Thursday and says that everything is off the table now," said the 30-year-old centre. Ott hasnt looked for temporary employment while the strike has dragged on, instead choosing to stay close to home in Windsor and take in the occasional Spitfires game. "I havent looked for a place to play because I still believe theres a process to be followed," said Ott. "If a deal doesnt get done this week, then maybe next week or the week after." "Im not prepared to throw in the towel as I still think the season is going to start." Added Ott: "Im not going to look for a place to play until the season is officially cancelled and then Ill wipe away my tears and then go out and find a place to play." Westgarth, who sits on the NHL Players Associations bargaining committee, also said hes not interested in looking for a place to play as the lockout drags on. "I wouldnt do that. I made a commitment to myself and my fellow players to stick with this until we get a deal done," said Westgarth. "Im not interested in playing anywhere until the NHL starts up again." He joked that his offensive outburst in the game could help his own contract negotiations once the NHL started up again. "Maybe I can use this once I go in for my own contract negotiations," he said with a laugh. "Ive never scored four goals in my life." Westgarth has one goal in 90 career NHL games with the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. "I think that a deal is closer than most people think," said Westgarth. At least one European player who participated in Rock Out the Lockout re-affirmed his determination to stay in North America until the labour problem is solved. "I havent talked to any team over in Europe and Im not interested in playing over there either," said Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings. "Im staying in Detroit so Ill be ready once we do start playing again." Kronwall was taken aback by the ups and downs of last weeks negotiations. "It was a roller coaster last week, for sure," he said. "To have (commissioner Gary Bettman) come out and say that no progress had been made when there was, is really frustrating." Kronwall, who is staying in shape during the lockout by hitting the gym and skating a few times a week, shrugged off a suggestion that he and other players would not be in as good shape as players who are now playing in Europe or the AHL and other minor leagues. "We might have some catching up to do once the season re-starts, but it wont take long for us to catch up in our conditioning. "Hopefully well get a deal done soon so we can all get back to doing what we love the most, which is playing hockey." cheap jerseys from china . -- Jorge Villafanas goal in the 69th minute snapped a 600-minute scoreless streak and also dealt a blow to FC Dallas playoff hopes as Chivas USA forged a 1-1 draw Sunday. wholesale jerseys .J. -- Buffalo Bills running back Fred Jackson is out of Sundays game against the New York Jets with an injured right knee Jackson, who went on injured reserve last November with a broken right leg, went down with 11:07 left in the first half Sunday when he ran for 7 yards and was hit hard by LaRon Landry. http://www.authenticchinachea... . While others perceived an improved Canadian performance over last weeks win over the U.S. Eagles, the former All Black saw his rugby team pay the price for abandoning its game plan. [url=http://www.authenticchinacheapnfljerseys.com/]wholesale nfl jerseys . Tomlinson reached down and lifted him up, holding him as carefully as he used to carry the football. Joined by his family and several former teammates, Tomlinson ended his brilliant 11-year NFL career the same way he started it -- with the San Diego Chargers. cheap nfl jerseys . Braves general manager Frank Wren confirmed the team traded right-handed pitchers Arodys Vizcaino, a top prospect who had season-ending Tommy John surgery in April, and Jaye Chapman to the Cubs.NEW YORK -- Centre Brad Richards and several of his New York Rangers teammates participated in a benefit skate Friday to help in the relief efforts on Staten Island after Superstorm Sandy. Richards, who signed with the Rangers last off-season, and led them to the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference last post-season, partnered with a high school team to organize "Skating for Sandy." Defencemen Steve Eminger, Dan Girardi, Anton Stralman and Marc Staal as well as forwards Carl Hagelin, Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, Jeff Halpern, Taylor Pyatt and Marian Gaborik joined Richards at the Staten Island Skating Pavilion for two afternoon sessions with area children. "Being part of the community makes you a part of everyday life," Richards said. The idea was broached by Steve Rose, a community affairs officer in Brooklyn and a friend of Richards. Rose estimated the event raised between $10,000-$12,000. "Obviously you know whats gone on with New York," Richards said. "Its scary to see what the damage is." Richards will also play in a Sandy-related charity game next Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J.. He will be joined by Eminger, Halpern and Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist. Also in that game will be several members of the Philadelphia Flyers. "Were excited about that," Richards said. "Weve got a lot of good people on board." For a day, at least, Richards and his teammates were able to take their focus off the NHL lockout, which began on Sept. 15. Talks have netted little progress of late, and as the days wind down, so do the chances of a season. Friday, in fact, was the 62nd day of the iimpasse, and the NHL and NHLPA havent even talked this week.dddddddddddd On Thursday, the league requested a two-week moratorium. "I dont see the point behind that," Callahan said. "It doesnt make sense to me. Two weeks is a waste of time." One of the main issues at play in fighting for a new collective bargaining agreement is determining which side will pay for the lockout, as well as expanded revenue sharing and contract lengths. One aspect of the owners proposal stipulates a maximum length of contracts, yet owners gave some players multiyear deals just before the lockout began two months ago. "Theres people on the (ownership) committee who signed (players to) contracts two hours before the lockout," Richards said. "(Its) tough to trust people when thats going on." The Capitals signed defenceman John Carlson (six years, $23.8 million) and forward Troy Brouwer (three years, $11 million), while the Bruins agreed to terms with forwards Milan Lucic (three years, $18 million), Tyler Seguin (six years, $34.5 million) and Brad Marchand (four years, $18 million) in the days leading up to Sept. 15. Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs are on the leagues negotiating committee. "(Im) not going to single out certain guys," Richards said. "Some of them I dont know personally." The lockout has already forced the cancellation of 327 games, including the Winter Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings at Michigan Stadium. The leagues other big midseason event -- the Jan. 27 all-star game at Nationwide Arena in Columbus -- is also expected to be formally cancelled in the near future. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes