Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ead in West Broms opener after just four minutes a...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ead in West Broms opener after just four minutes and the visitors were 2-0 up one minute later when Shane Long headed in Chris

Started by lili, 2014/04/29 08:44AM
Latest post: 2014/04/29 08:44AM, Views: 289, Posts: 1
ead in West Broms opener after just four minutes and the visitors were...
#1   2014/04/29 08:44AM
lili
HAMILTON, Ont. -- Jon Cornish just needed a rest. Two weeks after coming up flat and then criticizing his offensive line in a crushing loss to the B.C. Lions, the Calgary Stampeders running back powered his team to a 31-20 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Thursday at Ivor Wynne Stadium. Cornish, who rushed for 170 yards and a touchdown while catching six passes for 47 more yards, said he relaxed during his teams bye week and returned with a fresh mind. "Anytime you can reverse your fortunes from -1 to (170 yards), I would consider that a statement," he said. "The O-line was doing their thing tonight. They were pushing people around and when they do that, it makes my life easy." Calgary improves to 3-3 with its first road win of the season while Hamilton falls to 3-3. Most of the pregame hype surrounded the first meeting between Calgary quarterback Kevin Glenn and Hamilton counterpart Henry Burris since they were traded for each other in the off-season. Glenn completed 15 of 28 pass attempts for 141 yards and one touchdown while Burris went 21 of 40 for 267 yards, one TD and one interception. But it was Cornish who took over the storyline. "That sometimes happens when you focus on two individuals, other individuals sneak in there and make their way," said Glenn about Cornishs performance. "Im more happy that he had this kind of game than me beating my old team because you all think thats its about me and revenge against the Ticats." Bo Levi Mitchell, Romby Bryant and Nik Lewis also scored TDs for Calgary. Chevon Walker scored twice for Hamilton, one from a 21-yard reception and another off a 47-yard rush. Calgary kicker Rene Paredes hit his lone field goal from 25 yards while Hamiltons Luca Congi hit both field goal attempts, from 43 and 22 yards. Calgary took its first lead of the game in the third quarter when short-yardage QB Malik Jackson converted a one-yard TD run to go up 17-13. The score was set up by a 69-yard drive that was aided by a roughing-the-passer penalty against the Ticats. Hamilton answered with an 85-yard drive, punctuated by a 47-yard TD run by Walker and the Ticats regained a three-point lead as time expired in the third. But Glenn led a 58-yard drive and handed the ball to Bryant for an easy end run and eight-yard score for the 24-20 lead early in the fourth. Calgary pulled away midway through the fourth, driving 62 yards and ending with an eight-yard TD pass from Glenn to Lewis and the 31-20 lead. After the game, Calgary head coach John Hufnagel praised Glenns perseverance in shaking off a tough first half. "Ever since (Glenn) got on the field for us, hes shown that hes not perfect, but hes not going to quit," said Calgary head coach John Hufnagel. "He hung in there, made some plays, got cracked a few times but picked himself up and kept making plays. "And his teammates helped him out. And thats what we need, a full team effort and I thought this one tonight was a full team effort." The Stamps ran down the clock in the fourth, keeping ball possession for 5:17 and driving 75 yards before Cornish fumbled and Hamilton recovered the ball on their own three-yard line with 51 seconds left. But it was too little too late. "I got too caught up in the game early on emotionally," said Burris, who had played for Calgary the previous seven years. "I want to maintain my composure regardless of the situation. ... We cant just come out and expect a team to give us something. They wanted it more." Hamiltons run defence had given up a league-worst 638 yards coming into this game. Cornish gained 113 of his yards in the fourth quarter alone. "The run wont beat you in this league, its the pass ... but today it did" said Hamilton linebacker Rey Williams. "I thought we played well for three quarters (but) that fourth quarter, I cant put my finger on it. I dont know what it was. I dont know what it is." wholesale jerseys . -- Andrew Luck is getting a full immersion into the NFL. cheap nfl jerseys . 1 ranking from Maria Sharapova next week after Agnieszka Radwanska failed to win the Wimbledon title. http://www.chinanfljerseyswholesal... . "We come here to win just like we do every other racetrack," he said. "Its just worked out the last three times. [url=http://www.chinanfljerseyswholesale.com/]cheap jerseys from china . Home-field advantage: Japan. Japan will host first and second rounds of pool play at two sites in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, which features a new qualifying format rather than the invitation-only system of the first two events. cheap jerseys nfl . Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo beat goalkeeper Joe Hart in the 90th minute to cap a dramatic comeback as the nine-time Champions League winners twice came from behind for a morale-boosting victory over the English champions following a week of domestic disarray.LONDON -- Manchester City moved on from the midweek turmoil of Carlos Tevezs apparent refusal to play with a resounding 4-0 victory at Blackburn in the Premier League on Saturday. City remains joint top of the standings alongside crosstown rival Manchester United, which struggled to a 2-0 win over Norwich. Adam Johnson, Mario Balotelli, Samir Nasri and Stefan Savic all scored second-half goals to ensure City kept pace with United, which welcomed Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez back from injury but needed late strikes by Anderson and Danny Welbeck to secure a club record 19th straight league win at Old Trafford. The two Manchester clubs lead with 19 points from seven games, though United has the better goal difference. Newcastle went to third with 15 points after a 2-1 win over Wolverhampton stretched its unbeaten start to the season. Liverpool won 2-0 at Everton to go to 13 points alongside Chelsea, which can return alone to third place with a victory at Bolton on Sunday. In other matches Saturday, Aston Villa earned its first home victory of the season with a 2-0 result against Wigan and Nicklas Bendtner sparked Sunderland to a 2-2 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Tevez was suspended for two weeks on Thursday over his apparent refusal to come off the bench during Citys 2-0 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League the day before, with manager Roberto Mancini saying the Argentina striker would never play for the club again. But even with Sergio Aguero sustaining what appeared to be a groin problem, Citys offence never lagged as Johnson curled in the 56th-minute opener. Italy striker Balotelli volleyed home from Nasri three minutes later and celebrated by showing support for Mancini with a hug of the Italian coach. Nasri scored the third in the 73rd before Savic netted his first goal for City near the close. United struggled despite the return of Hernandez and Rooney, who still managed to help flick Ryan Giggs corner onto the path of Anderson to head home a 68th-minute opener. Welbeck replaced Hernandez just before the opener and netted his third goal of the week in the 87th as United bounced back from a midweek 3-3 Champions League draw against Basel. "This was not a goood performance but we were gritty and we never gave in," said United manager Alex Ferguson, whose team had not dropped league points at Old Trafford since a 2-2 draw against West Bromwich Albion nearly one year ago.dddddddddddd. "That is a fantastic quality to have." While 35 million pounds (US$51 million) signing Andy Carroll netted his first league goal to open, Luis Suarez largely ensured Liverpool won the 216th Merseyside derby by scoring a goal and being involved with an opponents red card. Jack Rodwell was sent off for a challenge on Suarez in the 23rd and the Uruguayan later earned a penalty that Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard saved from Dirk Kuyt. But the Reds broke through in the 71st through Carroll before Suarezs fourth league goal sealed Liverpools ninth win in its last 12 trips to Goodison Park in Englands longest running derby. "Sometimes the extra man works against you and sometimes it works in your favour," said Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, who returned to Goodison Park for the first time since an FA Cup match in 1991 that led to his resignation afterward. "We kept our patience and we are delighted with the result." Demba Ba and Jonas Gutierrez led the highflying Magpies with first-half goals, and Newcastle held on to extend its unbeaten league run to 10 games despite Steven Fletcher heading in his eighth goal in 12 games for Wolves in the closing moments. Villa, meanwhile, improved to 11 points as striker Gabriel Agbonlahor scored in the 36th before turning provider for Darren Bent in the 62nd. At the Stadium of Light, James Morrison beat defender Wes Brown to head in West Broms opener after just four minutes and the visitors were 2-0 up one minute later when Shane Long headed in Chris Brunts curling free kick. Bendtners first goal for Sunderland since his move from Arsenal came in the 24th from a deflected shot. The Denmark striker then crossed for Ahmed Elmohamady to head in the equalizer two minutes later. On Sunday its: Fulham vs. Queens Park Rangers; Swansea vs. Stoke; and Tottenham vs. Arsenal. Southampton beat Watford 4-0 to stay top of the second-tier Championship, two points ahead of Middlesbrough. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes