Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

who closed the regular season on a - Country Music...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

who closed the regular season on a

Started by wxq123, 2014/04/18 06:02AM
Latest post: 2014/04/18 06:02AM, Views: 274, Posts: 1
who closed the regular season on a
#1   2014/04/18 06:02AM
wxq123
NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and his potentially bruised ego might be the least of the New York Yankees problems this off-season. Ace CC Sabathia is going to have his left elbow examined by Dr. James Andrews. Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera are aging stars dealing with major injuries. Hiroki Kuroda, Ichiro Suzuki and Nick Swisher are headed for free agency. The list is a long one for the ballclub that was handed one of its most embarrassing exits from the post-season: a thorough four-game sweep by the Detroit Tigers in the AL championship series. "Sometimes quiets a bad thing, right?" manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. "Theres been other years here that have been extremely -- a lot of stuff going on in the off-season. Some injuries and other things weve had to deal with, and weve done just fine." While the Yankees will have plenty of decisions to make this off-season, the one that will garner the most headlines and create the biggest stir is what -- or what not -- to do with A-Rod. He returned from a broken hand in September and struggled down the stretch and right into post-season. The 37-year-old third-basemans regular-season numbers were the lowest theyve been in his career for a full season, finishing with 18 homers and 57 RBIs. Still, Girardi is planning for A-Rod to be in his lineup next year. "I expect Alex to be our everyday third baseman. I do," Girardi said. "What does he have to show me? That hes healthy and ready to go." Even if the Yankees would like to trade the three-time MVP, it will be extremely difficult: they owe him at least $114 million over the next five seasons. Taking some time off after the teams early exit, Girardi hasnt spoken to Rodriguez since he benched the fading slugger three times in nine games this post-season and pinch hit for him on three other occasions. But hes prepared to deal with any of the fallout from decisions he insisted were well thought out. "Im always worried about whatever move I make, how it affects the club, how it affects a player, anything. I think its something that, sure, I possibly might have to deal with more than I expected, but I possibly might may not have to deal with it at all," Girardi said. "As we move forward, Ill get a temperature on it, keep track of it and see how its going." Girardi had less to offer on a myriad of possible issues that could affect the team next season. -- He felt confident that Sabathia will be ready for spring training even though the left-hander is going to have his elbow examined by the doctor who is renowned for performing elbow-reconstruction surgery known as Tommy John surgery. Sabathia went on the disabled list this August because of swelling in the elbow -- his second trip of the year to the DL after a groin strain. "He pitched very well down the stretch, which made me feel very good about whats going on," Girardi said, "but at times people have to be evaluated to make sure everything is OK." -- Girardi also expects Jeter back on opening day. The captain had surgery Saturday after breaking his ankle on Oct. 13 during the ALCS. "Whenever a guy goes through something there are concerns because sometimes a player could rush it and tweak something else because hes rushing it and hes anxious to get out there ... so I think theres always a concern," Giradi said, "but, I mean, really in our hearts we believe that hes going to be ready for us." -- Giradi could not give a definitive answer on whether closer Mariano Rivera, out since tearing a ligament in his knee shagging flyballs in early May, will return next season. The closer, who will be 43 on Nov. 29, has been going through a rigorous rehab and has said he wants to return. But Girardi said hes never asked directly if he would come back. "I dont think you go through a rehab like he went with the intensity if you dont have some inkling that you want to come back," Girardi said. Riveras status will certainly affect Rafael Soriano. He saved 42 games in place of No. 42 and now has the option to walk away from a $14 million salary for next year, terminate his contract and become a free agent. -- On Andy Pettitte: Girardi is not sure the 40-year-old lefty will be back. Pettitte went 5-4, 2.87 ERA in his return from a one-year retirement, a season interrupted when he broke a bone in his lower leg. "Theres a lot of hunger and fire there," he said. "Every year as you get a year older you have to ask yourself and your family am I ready to give up eight months of my life." -- Girardi is entering the final year of a three-year contract but doesnt expect to discuss it until after next season. "I understand how it works here and Im OK with that," Girardi said. Wholesale Jerseys From China . The club announced the deal on Wednesday, but as per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Wholesale NFL Jerseys . The Canadiens will see the return of Max Pacioretty tonight, after serving his three game suspension. Rookie Louis Leblanc will make his NHL home debut tonight, after recording his first NHL point on the game winning goal in Los Angeles on Saturday. http://www.nflwholesalecheap... . Conte, a former Juventus captain, took over last summer from Luigi Delneri, who failed to take Juventus into the Europa League with a seventh-place finish in the Italian league. [url=http://www.nflwholesalecheapjerseysonline.com/]Wholesale Jerseys . The Goldeyes took a 3-1 lead into the eighth inning, only to watch the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks storm back for a 5-3 win before 4,811 fans. Cheap Jerseys NFL . -- Major League Baseball could start in-season testing for human growth hormone next year. PHILADELPHIA -- Michael Vick will take his next snap in the season opener for the Philadelphia Eagles. Who replaces him if he gets hurt again remains a question. Vick is back at practice after leaving last Mondays game with injured ribs. He didnt play in Fridays game at Cleveland, but returned to the field Sunday night for Philadelphias annual practice party at Lincoln Financial Field. "I think hes real close to 100 per cent," offensive co-ordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Monday. "I thought he threw the ball last night just beautifully; threw it strong and aggressively. So, I think hes ready to rock and roll. Thats my point on that. I think hes ready to go." Vick has taken just 12 snaps in two preseason games and isnt expected to play against the New York Jets in the preseason finale Thursday. The Eagles visit Cleveland in Week 1 on Sept. 9. "I think in that ballgame that he got hurt, I think he would have played in the game if it was a regular season game," Mornhinweg said. "I dont know that for sure, but that was just my thought at the time." The more important thought in the co-ordinators mind right now revolves around the backup quarterbacks. Philadelphia has Mike Kafka, Trent Edwards and Nick Foles in the fold right now. Foles, a rookie third-round pick from Arizona, has been impressive in the first three games. He threw two touchdown passes in the first quarter and led the Eagles to a 27-10 victory over the Browns last Friday. Foles finished the victory 12 of 19 for 146 yards with one interception.ddddddddddddHes 36 of 57 passes for 507 yards, with six TDs and two interceptions so far. Kafka, the incumbent backup, hasnt played the last two games because of a hand injury. It would seem that Foles has moved up the depth chart, but Mornhinweg wasnt ready to say it. "That choice has not been made," Mornhinweg said. "Weve got several different things to evaluate there. I certainly have great confidence in all of our quarterbacks to do all of the jobs that we would ask them to do: backup and the number three. (Quarterbacks coach) Doug Pederson has done just an outstanding job with all four of the quarterbacks." Kafka, a third-year pro, might even be in danger of losing his roster spot. Edwards has also been outstanding in the preseason. The 28-year-old veteran is 32 of 48 for 292 yards with two TDs and no interceptions. Edwards was 14-18 as a starter for Buffalo between 2007-10. He was released by Oakland last year and sat out the season. "Well, we havent come to that decision. Weve got some days of practice and the last preseason game to evaluate that and discuss it," Mornhinweg said. "Weve got four quarterbacks here (who) really can play at a high level. Those are good things. Those are good things that you have to come to a decision on at some point here and its coming up pretty quick." The Eagles (No. 8 in the AP Pro32), who closed the regular season on a four-game winning streak last year, are 3-0 this preseason and have scored 78 points along the way. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes