Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

theres still some room for - Country Music Talk Fo...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

theres still some room for

Started by wxq123, 2014/04/18 06:02AM
Latest post: 2014/04/18 06:02AM, Views: 270, Posts: 1
theres still some room for
#1   2014/04/18 06:02AM
wxq123
SAN DIEGO -- While the Houston Astros were relieved not to fall victim to another no-hitter on Thursday night, they had little else to celebrate. Edinson Volquez threw a one-hitter -- an infield single in the fourth inning that bounced off his glove -- for the first complete game and shutout of his career as the San Diego Padres beat the Astros 1-0 on Thursday night. Houston dropped three of the four games in the series and is batting .197 over the past 15 games. San Franciscos Matt Cain threw a perfect game against the Astros on July 13. "Its going to turn here, and its going to turn here quick," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "Were looking forward to it turning tomorrow night in Arizona." Alexi Amarista doubled and Logan Forsythe singled in the first inning against rookie Lucas Harrell to account for the games only run. Harrell (7-7), who threw a shutout against San Diego on June 27 in Houston, gave up four hits and struck out six while walking one in seven innings. "With our offence, I feel like we can score enough runs if I can keep it close," Harrell said. Volquez shut down the Astros except for an infield single by Matt Downs, who hit a comebacker to the left side of the mound. Third baseman Chase Headley and Volquez converged on the ball. Volquez opted to attempt to snare the ball but dropped it. Volquez did not attempt to throw out Downs at first base. "Ive got to work on my backhand," Volquez said. "I was supposed to catch that ball. Ive got fielding practice tomorrow, Ive got to work on that. He hit it in the right spot." Downs was glad to not be a part of history. "You look back and youre glad he didnt no-hit you," Downs said. In becoming the first Padres pitcher to throw a one-hitter at Petco Park, Volquez struck out five and walked three, throwing 118 pitches, 76 for strikes. The game was Padres second complete game of the season and sixth shutout. "Hes been pretty good lately," Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal said. "Sometimes the walks kill him, but that was one thing he didnt do tonight was walk too many guys. It seemed like every time he fell behind he came back, so thats something he needs to keep doing. Hes a really good pitcher when he allows himself to be." Volquez is the third Padre to throw a shutout at Petco Park. Jake Peavy did it on Aug. 23, 2005, also against Houston, and Ismael Valdez did it on June 5, 2004, against Milwaukee. "A couple of hiccups with maybe a couple of walks, but his stuff was good," Padres manager Bud Black said. "They didnt hit many balls hard. He was in command of the game. Those are tough games, because when the score is 1-0, every pitch is critical." The win improved Volquezs career record against the Astros to 6-0. "I think we had four or five well-hit balls, right on the button -- and that happens," Mills said. "At the same time, you would like to get something started against him." Amarista, playing in centre field for the injured Cameron Maybin, has hit safely in 16 of 17 games, batting .387 over that stretch. Forsythe nearly started a triple play in the second inning. Scott Maxwell hit a line drive that the second baseman leaped to catch. He threw to Everth Cabrera to double up J.D. Martinez at second and Cabrera threw to first but Downs dived to beat the ball to the base and prevent the triple play. This game marked the last non-interleague meeting between the Astros and Padres as Houston will move to the American League West in 2013. NOTES: Mills said C Jason Castro, who is on the DL, had "really good range of motion" after his swollen knee was drained Wednesday. ... Maybin was out of the lineup for the second straight game because of a sore wrist. Black said he doubts Maybin will be a candidate for the DL ... Bud Norris will pitch for Houston when they open a three-game series in Arizona on Friday against Trevor Cahill (7-8, 3.71). San Diegos Jason Marquis (2-5, 3.62) will pitch in the opener of a three-game series against Colorados Drew Pomeranz (1-4, 3.79). Cheap Jerseys From China Online .C. -- The NFL has announced that Carolina Panthers backup defensive tackle Andre Neblett has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the regular season for violating the leagues policy on performance enhancing substances. Wholesale Jerseys . Quesne finished with four straight birdies to lead at 9 under. Danny Willett of England shot a second straight 67 to trail the leader. Fog delayed the start at the Crans-sur-Sierre club, and poor visibility ended play with two groups still to finish their rounds. http://www.nflwholesalecheap... . -- Calvin Pickard frustrated the Hamilton Bulldogs for more than 56 minutes on Tuesday night, but Steve Quailer finally found a way through. [url=http://www.nflwholesalecheapjerseysonline.com/]Wholesale Jerseys From China . The decision to reject the bid by a new Rangers ownership to play in the top division following the clubs financial meltdown could threaten the economic well-being of teams around Scotland. Rangers chief executive Charles Green said the 140-year-old club was "deeply disappointed" with the result of the vote and will be applying to join the Scottish Football League, which is made up of three divisions. Cheap NFL Jerseys China . "Those players will not be eligible for selection (Wednesday against the Houston Dynamo)," Toronto coach Paul Mariner said Tuesday night of Miguel Aceval, Luis Silva and Nick Soolsma. PANAMA CITY -- Shawn Hill allowed a run on three hits in 6 1-3 innings of work and Brock Kjeldgaard belted a three-run homer in the second inning Sunday as Canada upset the U.S. 6-1 at the Baseball World Cup. Canada finished the round-robin portion of the tournament 6-1 and will carry two of those wins into the next round, which begins Tuesday. "I think this win goes all around (to) Shawn Hill," Canadian manager, Ernie Whitt said. "Today he showed the veteran presence that he has and I just cant say enough about the way he pitched today. The Mississauga, Ont,. native kept the U.S. batters off balance most of the game. Hill didnt allow a hit from the second through sixth innings. "The first couple of innings I was just hitting my spots with my fastball, which was the biggest thing for me today," Hill said. "Basically, they had to hit my pitch." Kjledgaards homer to left field in the second inning came with nobody out after Jimmy Van Ostrand walked to lead off the inning and Emerson Frostad singled. Canada had a chance to add to its lead in the seventh with the bases loaded the bases and only one out, but werent able to cash in.dddddddddddd. The U.S. finally got to Hill in the bottom of the seventh when Matt Clark hit a solo home run to lead off the inning. After a strikeout and a walk, Hill was replaced by Chris Kissock, who got out of the inning unscathed. Hills outing saw him go 6 1-3 innings while giving up one run on three hits and striking out four. "I didnt know what to expect coming in to the game," Hill said. "Once I got loose I felt good and actually started to feel better as the game went on." Canada added three insurance runs in the ninth. Tim Smith picked up two RBIs with a single up the middle and scored on a double to left field from Kjeldgaard. Kissock stayed in the game and pitched a ninth inning that included a strike out of the final batter. "Its a great win for us but theres still some room for improvement," Whitt said. "As we go forward in this tournament we have to continue to improve and limit the mistakes we make." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes