Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

the second to extend his hitting streak - Country ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

the second to extend his hitting streak

Started by wxq123, 2014/04/10 09:05AM
Latest post: 2014/04/10 09:05AM, Views: 268, Posts: 1
the second to extend his hitting streak
#1   2014/04/10 09:05AM
wxq123
BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Orioles purchased the contracts of outfielders Endy Chavez and L.J. Hoes from Triple-A Norfolk on Tuesday and designated veteran reliever Kevin Gregg and infielder Ryan Adams for assignment. Chavez and Hoes replaced Gregg and Adams on the 40-man roster. Chavez hit .190 with two home runs and eight RBIs in 47 games with the Orioles earlier this season. Hoes has not played in the majors. Gregg went 3-2 with a 4.74 ERA in 40 appearances with Baltimore this season. He signed a two-year contract in January 2011 to be the teams closer, and although he had 22 saves last year, the right-hander lost the job to Jim Johnson during spring training. After getting off to a shaky start in April, Gregg ultimately ended up as odd man out in a bullpen filled with effective pitchers. Gregg appeared in two games in September, including Sunday, when he gave up four runs in one inning against the New York Yankees. "Kevin deserves an opportunity to pitch (more often)," manager Buck Showalter said. "It has much to do with his inactivity. Were just trying to fair to him, plus we needed the roster spot. Hopefully it will work out for him. I think it will. I think a change of scenery and getting the ball every day or every other day is going to help him." The 34-year-old Gregg is 28-38 with 179 saves and a 4.11 ERA over a career that began in 2003 with the Angels and includes stints with the Marlins, Chicago Cubs and Toronto. The Orioles added Chavez and Hoes because theyre short on outfielders after Nick Markakis broke his left thumb Saturday. Markakis had pins placed in the thumb Tuesday that will be removed in three weeks, Showalter said. Showalter and vice-president of baseball operations Dan Duquette discussed the possibility of getting an outfielder via a trade but decided to plug the hole from within. "What was out there, as far as it was presented to the organization, wasnt better than Endy and L.J. that were already here," Showalter said. "We werent going to trade (former top draft pick and current third baseman) Manny (Machado) for a guy thats going to here for three weeks and not eligible for the playoffs if we were lucky enough to make it. Not going to do it." Hoes, the Orioles third-round pick in the 2008 draft, began this season with Double-A Bowie. He was promoted to Norfolk, where he hit .300 with three home runs and 38 RBIs in 82 games. Adams batted .224 with four home runs and 20 RBIs in 65 games with Norfolk this season. cheap jerseys . Far from a must-win, it certainly was a welcomed one for the New York Yankees and their ace. wholesale jerseys . The Braves have won 22 straight games started by Kris Medlen, who will take the mound today. Medlens only loss this season came in relief. The right- hander, in his first full season following Tommy John surgery, threw seven innings in a no-decision against the Marlins on Tuesday. http://www.holdjersey.com/ .C. -- Carolina Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller says he will experiment this preseason with putting brothers Jordan and Eric Staal on the ice together. holdjersey . Darrell Issa as a witness. Issa is chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, the panel that Clemens allegedly lied to in 2008 when he denied taking performance-enhancing drugs. nba holdjersey . "I want it to be exactly like last year," Maddon said on Wednesday night after the Rays beat Boston 4-2 for their seventh consecutive victory. "Its starting to look a lot like Christmas." Carlos Pena and Ben Francisco hit back-to-back, tape-measure homers in the fifth inning to help Tampa Bay remain 3 1-2 games behind Baltimore for second place in the AL East.WASHINGTON -- Chipper Jones has seen a lot in his 19 seasons with Atlanta. Even he hasnt seen anything like what the Braves did Friday night. Atlanta was down 9-0 after five innings with Washington Nationals star pitcher Stephen Strasburg on the mound. The Braves came back to take the lead in the top of the ninth, after the Nationals tied it Atlanta pulled out a wild 11-10 win on Paul Janishs run-scoring bloop single in the 11th. "I dont even know where to start," said Jones, who drove in two runs with a single in the Braves four-run eighth inning. "I still cant believe it. I mean, 9-0. Thats never happened to me since Ive been here." In the top of the 11th, Dan Uggla led off with a single against Tom Gorzelanny (2-2), advanced to second on Ryan Zimmermans throwing error and then went to third on a passed ball before scoring on Janishs bloop that just barely fell in past shortstop Ian Desmonds outstretched glove. "A really crazy game, but it counts, right?" Janish said. "All that matters is that we end up with one more than them, so it worked out." It was the Braves largest comeback since 1987 and pulled them within 2 1/2 games of the Nationals in the National League East. The teams will play three more games this weekend, including a doubleheader Saturday. "Its a big series, and theres no way we were just going to go down without a fight," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. The nine-run lead was the largest ever given up by the Nationals franchise, including the games played as the Montreal Expos. "Arguably the worst game Ive ever managed in my life," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson. "Ive never lost a nine-run lead when it was my part of the game to handle the pitching and itll be hard for me to sleep. I had a worse night than the guys did." Atlanta scored four runs in both the sixth and eighth innings. Tyler Clippard came on in the ninth hoping to close the game for the Nationals, but walked leadoff batter Dan Uggla and hit Jarnish, who was squaring to bunt. After pinch-hitter David Ross struck out, Michael Bourn tripled to right field to score both runners. "The old saying, when youre down that much, if you get the closer up the bullpen you feel like you won a moral victory," Gonzalez said. &"We got him in the game, we kept scoring runs, and it was like, Hell, weve got a chance to win this thing.dddddddddddd" Craig Kimbrel blew his second save in 30 chances in the bottom of the ninth when Danny Espinosa hit a solo homer into the visitors bullpen in left-centre field to tie the game at 10. Eric OFlaherty (2-0) pitched the 10th to earn the win, and Chad Durbin was perfect in the 11th for his first save. Michael Morse and Zimmerman each hit two-out, three-run homers off Braves starter Tommy Hanson, who gave up a season-high eight runs on eight hits. Morses fifth homer of the year -- a bomb that nearly reached the Red Porch restaurant in the centerfield concourse -- came in the first. Zimmerman added his 12th in the fourth, hitting a 3-2 pitch into the left-field seats. The Nationals scored three more in the fifth on a bases-loaded walk to Washington starter Stephen Strasburg and Steve Lombardozzis two-run single. Lombardozzi had three hits in the game, extending his hitting streak to 13 games. Pitching on his 24th birthday, Strasburg held the Braves scoreless through the fifth, when rain started to fall, but seemed to tire in the sixth, giving up four runs, starting with a two-run homer by Brian McCann scored the Braves first runs with a two-run homer in the sixth. Pinch-hitter Eric Hinske narrowly missed another when he hit a double off the top of the wall, and Martin Prado capped the four-run inning with a two-run double off reliever Michael Gonzalez. "Either way, even if we didnt win the game, it would be one of the best games I played in my career," Prado said. NOTES: Nationals OF Jayson Werth, on the DL with a broken wrist, was scheduled for a rehab assignment with Single-A Potomac on Friday, but Washington manager Davey Johnson said it would be pushed back to Saturday because Werth was feeling some stiffness and a forecast of rain. ... SS Ian Desmond, who has been dealing with a strained oblique muscle, was in the starting lineup for the first time since July 14. ... Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said 3B Chipper Jones will sit the first game of Saturdays doubleheader. ... Freeman doubled in the second to extend his hitting streak to 11 games, and C Brian McCann doubled in the fourth for a 10-game streak. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes