Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

returning. ... The Phillies had their - Country Mu...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

returning. ... The Phillies had their

Started by wxq123, 2014/03/29 11:23AM
Latest post: 2014/03/29 11:23AM, Views: 284, Posts: 1
returning. ... The Phillies had their
#1   2014/03/29 11:23AM
wxq123
CALGARY -- Drew Tate included music in his preparation to lead the Stampeder offence this season. "I learned how to play the piano this off-season," the quarterback declared. "I sure did. I always wanted to learn to play the piano. "I figure if my brain can pick that up then itll just translate into what I do, football. It does strengthen your hands and wrists and stuff like that. Piano lessons were for Sundays. From Monday to Saturday, Tate strengthened his legs, back, shoulders and core muscles to brace for the pounding a starting quarterback in the Canadian Football League takes over 18 regular-season games plus playoffs. The Stampeders are giving the ball to the 27-year-old from Baytown, Texas, when main camp starts Sunday after seven seasons of Henry Burris behind centre. Burris was traded to Hamilton and Tate signed a contract extension in January. For the first time since he joined the Stampeder organization in 2009, theres no one ahead of Tate on the depth chart. "I think my biggest challenge is going to be staying healthy and just continually produce, dont get lose in my reads, dont turn the ball over and just being consistent," Tate says. "Im really not worried about the season right now. Im worried about my performance in camp because thats important. Its about getting comfortable with the receivers and having people comfortable with me, with a new quarterback coming in." Tate may seem understated compared to Burriss big personality, wide grin and hearty laugh. Tates confidence is more California surfer than New York showman. "I am a different quarterback than Hank," Tate concedes. "Hank was an explosive player. He had such a big arm that he was able to hold onto the ball a little longer and could throw it 60 or 70 yards downfield. "My whole thing, when I get on the field, is like Im a doctor going into the emergency. Im just trying to bam, bam, bam, just snip, clip and eventually get there and be precise on what Im doing." The transition to Tate began last season when head coach and general manager John Hufnagel started him in the final four games. Tate wasnt flashy, but he was effective in three wins to end the regular season. He threw for 791 yards and four touchdowns with 65 per cent accuracy. The West Division semifinal in Edmonton was less memorable as he completed just half of 10 passes in the first half. Tate also dropped the ball after a snap with no Eskimo near him, which the hosts turned into a pivotal touchdown en route to victory. Burris couldnt rescue a win in the second half though, which furthered the notion that Tate would be Hufnagels man come 2012. The six-foot, 192-pound Iowa product finished 2011 with 101-of-158 passing (63.9 per cent), 1,346 passing yards and eight TDs while also throwing five interceptions. When Hufnagel says theres some mystery surrounding the Stampeders heading into training camp, hes referring in large part to Tate. "Hell be on the field for 18 games playing 60 minutes," Hufnagel said. "He has not had to do that and how will his physical and mental aspects handle that type of stress?" Hufnagel acquired 32-year-old veteran Kevin Glenn in the Burris trade as insurance. Once Burris was traded and he re-signed, Tate headed to Geneva, Ohio, to train with Bryan McCall, whom hed worked with two seasons ago. "I felt a big difference between two years ago working with him going into training camp than I did last year not working with him," Tate says. "I figured this was a big year for me personally so I wanted to go wherever he was. I wanted to get stronger, get my body right." Calgarys offensive co-ordinator Dave Dickenson was once in Tates shoes. When Jeff Garcia left for the NFL, Dickenson took over as Calgarys starter in 1998. "The main thing for Drew is hes not a rookie," Dickenson points out. "Hes been around. He knows he can play the game. There are some differences, though. You can be a little more vocal in the locker-room. "For Drew, I think its important for him just to be himself and understand we have confidence in him. "Its not always going to go well. The tough thing is you think you put all this time and effort in there and its just going to work. It might, but youre going to have some bumps and youve got to keep that confidence high and keep believing and work through those." Tate was Iowas starter three of his four seasons there and the last in 2006. His 56-yard, game-winning touchdown to Warren Holloway as time expired in the 2005 Capital One Bowl against LSU is still a thrilling highlight on YouTube. Those experiences are helpful to a point, but the pro game is different, especially in Canada. "The game down there protects the quarterback a little more than the game up here with the running game, with the protections, with the play actions and such," Tate explains. "Up here, youre passing the ball more, youre going to get hit more. Thats just the way the game is. You either adapt or you get kicked out and look for another job." Should he solidify his position as Calgarys No. 1, Tate intends to add more performing arts into his football repertoire. "Im going to do piano again next off-season and probably dance," Tate says. "I might take ballet. I dont even know yet. Ive got to do something. I want to be as light as I can on my feet." Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale . The team has appointed Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith assistant coaches. Buchberger is a former Oilers captain while Smith was drafted by Edmonton and played there for six seasons. cheap louis vuitton sale . The Canadian guard said Monday he wanted "to get this out of the way now" because the Longhorns were about to start individual off-season workouts. http://www.cheaplouisvuittonoutl... . AHL president Dave Andrews isnt praying for the big league to shut its doors, but he knows it would mean an influx of talented players, a surge in attendance and greater media attention for "whatever period of time we are the top league in North America. [url=http://www.cheaplouisvuittonoutletbiz.com/]Cheap Louis Vuitton . He might not even be the backup. Rex Ryan decided to bench Sanchez on Tuesday in favour of Greg McElroy after the fourth-year quarterback had another miserable performance in a 14-10 loss at Tennessee on Monday night that eliminated New York from playoff contention. Cheap Louis Vuitton Outlet . PETERSBURG, Fla.PHILADELPHIA -- Ryan Howard walked up to the plate to a loud standing ovation and drove the second pitch he saw deep to right-centre for a double. With all their regulars back, it was just like old times for the Philadelphia Phillies. Except the end result. Brian McCann hit a grand slam, Tim Hudson tossed four-hit ball over seven innings and the Atlanta Braves beat the struggling Phillies 5-0 to spoil Howards season debut Friday night. "It felt good, but the outcome didnt go the way we wanted it," Howard said. Howard was 2 for 4 in his first game since rupturing his left Achilles tendon on the final swing in a post-season elimination loss to St. Louis last October. But the last-place Phillies generated nothing else on offence. The five-time defending NL East champions are a season-worst 11 games under .500. Since five-time All-Star Chase Utley returned last week, the Phillies are 1-8. "We still control our own destiny," Howard said. "We have to go out and win series. If we can do that, well find ourselves in the mix." Hudson (7-4) nearly went pitch-for-pitch with Kyle Kendrick, who also threw seven scoreless innings and allowed four hits. Kendrick had five strikeouts; Hudson had none. But Hudson got the W. "Today was probably the best I felt through this whole process," Hudson said. "I felt like my fastball, velocity-wise, was pretty close to normal. I know for the last three or four starts, I didnt have a whole lot of confidence to really let it go." Antonio Bastardo (2-3) replaced Kendrick to start the eighth and immediately ran into trouble. Pinch-hitter Matt Diaz led off with a single and Michael Bourn walked. After Martin Prado hit a shallow fly and Jason Heyward popped out, Chipper Jones walked to load the bases. Freddie Freeman then walked to force in the first run. McCann followed with a shot to straightaway centre for his ninth career slam, giving the Braves a 5-0 lead. "I love hitting with the bases loaded because they have to come at you," McCann said. "They really cant walk you. Its definitely a good feeling to stand in the box and know they have to come see you." Kendrick warmed up to force Atlanta manager Fredi Gonzalezs hand. But manager Charlie Manuel went witth Bastardo after left-handed hitting Juan Francisco was announced as a pinch-hitter.dddddddddddd "Bastardos been our eighth-inning guy," Manuel said. "We wanted him on the lefties. It didnt work out." Kendrick wanted to stay in. "Its his move. I respect it," Kendrick said. Bastardo left the mound to a chorus of boos from frustrated fans, whove watched the NLs highest-paid team underachieve all season. Injuries, of course, have been a factor. Utley missed 76 games. Howard, the 2006 NL MVP, missed 84. Roy Halladay hasnt pitched since May. Even with the addition of a second wild-card team, itll take a monumental turnaround for these Phillies to reach the post-season for a sixth straight year. Howard easily made it to second base standing after hitting a high drive to the warning track to lead off the second. But he stayed there. Carlos Ruiz flied out to shallow right, and Hunter Pence and Juan Pierre grounded out. Hudson ran into trouble after needing nine pitches to retire Kendrick for the second out in the sixth. Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino followed with consecutive singles, getting a runner to third base for the first time for either team. But Utley hit a slow tapper to first to end the inning. Kendrick worked out of a jam in the seventh after Jones and Freeman started with singles. McCann was called out on strikes, Dan Uggla fouled out and Andrelton Simmons grounded out. Kendrick was 0-4 with a 7.67 ERA in his previous five starts. NOTES: Jones extended his hitting streak to 12. ... With Howard missing from the lineup, Manuel tried six different cleanup hitters. Pence (43 games) and Ruiz (23) were most used in that spot. ... Kendrick remains 6-1 vs. Atlanta. ... Howard has six homers in 55 career at-bats against Hudson. ... Uggla, the NL starting 2B in the All-Star games, was dropped to seventh in the batting order. He went 0 for 3 and is hitting .223. ... Howard isnt slated to start on Saturday, but should return to the lineup Sunday. Utley may start three straight games for first time since returning. ... The Phillies had their 262nd straight sellout, counting post-season. ... Tommy Hanson (9-5, 3.70) starts for the Braves against Philadelphias Joe Blanton (7-7, 4.85) on Saturday night. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes