Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

to honour former Yank - Country Music Talk Forum. ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

to honour former Yank

Started by amy11, 2014/03/02 06:04AM
Latest post: 2014/03/02 06:04AM, Views: 351, Posts: 1
to honour former Yank
#1   2014/03/02 06:04AM
amy11
DELRAY BEACH, Fla. -- Andy Roddick had three match points to beat Kevin Anderson on Friday, but could not convert any and the South African won through to the semifinals of the Delray Beach International Series. Seventh-seeded Anderson won 2-6, 7-6 (9), 6-4 to set up a semifinal against another big-serving American, John Isner. "Theres not often I can look back at my career and say a serve lost me the match," Roddick said. "But, today, that was the case. "Ive made a career of getting my first serves in." Isner advanced with a solid 6-3, 6-2 victory over No. 8 seed Bernard Tomic of Australia. On the other half of the draw, Dudi Sela of Israel progressed to a rare semifinal berth by beating Germanys Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-0, and will face Australian qualifier Marinko Matosevic, who finished strongly to beat Ernests Gulbis of Latvia 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. Despite the loss, Roddick feels his game is getting into better shape after dealing with a right hamstring and right ankle injury this season. "I played OK this week," Roddick said. "I returned a little bit better. I flowed a little bit better than a week ago. Its just a matter of getting my percentage better on my serve." On a day where the swirling wind annoyed all the players, Isner put up nine aces and won four of his nine service games at love in the 56-minute match. "I played well right from the get-go," Isner said. "When he has time, thats when he gets comfortable. So I wanted to keep the points short, which is what I want to do every match. "The wind was very, very tricky." The 75th-ranked Sela reached his first ATP World Tour semifinal since the 2010 Chennai tournament. Sela was serving for the match in the second set and was up 30-0 but lost the next four points to send the second set into a tiebreaker which Kohlschreiber won. The Israeli was more ruthless in the third set, losing only four points in his three service games. "I was supposed to win in two sets," Sela said. "I was 6-5 in the second set, 30-love serving, and I got a little nervous and he went for two good shots. "But Im happy I played well in the third, stayed positive and won the match." The 173rd-ranked Matosevic, who is currently on an 11-match winning streak, is into his first career ATP semifinal. "It feels good, especially coming through qualifying because it feels like I really earned it," Matosevic said. "The conditions were really tough and the wind was really getting me down in the first set. I just wasnt making enough balls and returns. "I just let him beat himself in the end." cheap jerseys online . Pepe collided with teammate Iker Casillas in the 42nd minute when both tried to reach a cross in Madrids area that led to Valencias goal. The two players remained prone on the pitch for a few moments. Pepe was replaced by Raul Albiol at halftime and sent to the hospital afterward. china jerseys .Y. -- When push came to shove, Carl Edwards got the best of Brad Keselowski. http://www.classyjersey.com/ . Baker missed the Reds 6-0 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday that clinched the NL Central title. Doctors wanted to keep him one more night to make sure he had fully recovered. cheap nfl jerseys . In his second NHL game, the 22-year-old scored his first two goals as Calgary concluded the regular season with a 5-2 victory over the Anaheim Ducks. jerseys from china . Carter, test rugbys leading points-scorer, withstood the challenge of All Blacks teammate Richie McCaw -- a three-time winner of the award -- England flyhalf Owen Farrell and France No. NEW YORK -- Go ahead, call it what you want. It doesnt matter to Yankees manager Joe Girardi. Hes pleased with his teams recent play however its categorized. Russell Martin hit a grand slam to help stop the Yankees struggles with the bases loaded and Andy Pettitte was dominant again at home, leading New York to a 7-0 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday night. Nick Swisher hit an RBI double after Raul Ibanez was walked intentionally and the Yankees treated Rays starter James Shields to another drubbing in the Bronx. Pettitte (3-2) pitched two-hit ball for 7 1-3 innings, striking out 10 in New Yorks ninth win in 12 games. "Whether its a streak or its not a streak, I just like it," Girardi said of his teams run that has helped the Yankees move a season-high six games over .500. The Yankees returned home from a 6-3 road trip to beat the Rays for the third time in four meetings since Tampa Bay swept a season-opening three-game series. Shields (6-4) was sabotaged early by the Rays ever-shifting defence as New York scored two unearned runs in the first thanks to an error by shortstop Elliot Johnson. The Rays made three errors in the game. "We just didnt have a good night," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "We didnt play any area of the game well. Im really looking for the next 24 hours to come around." The Rays have been in first or second in the division for most of the season despite having several key injuries, including to Desmond Jennings and Evan Longoria. Jennings, out since May 12, returned from the disabled list and went 1 for 4. Maddon had Hideki Matsui batting fourth and playing right field -- the first time there since 2008 -- for his first game in New York since joining the Rays last month. He said he did it for the sheer drama of having the former Yankees slugger in the cleanup spot back in the Bronx. "We stay in the theatre district when were in town and I thought it might be good theatre," Maddon said before the game. "Why not hit him fourth and have him hit a home run?" The Matsui show was a bust even though he was greeted warmly by the fans. He went 0 for 4, but he was hardly alone in struggling against the 39-year-old left-hander. Working quickly, Pettitte struck out five in a row in the second and third innings before B.J. Upton led off the fourth with a sharp, low liner that took a short hop and hit off shortstop Derek Jeters glove for the Rays first hit. Carlos Pena singled in the fifth for the only other hit against Pettitte. Pettitte improved to 3-1 at Yankee Stadium since his return from rretirement.ddddddddddddIn four starts here, hes allowed just six runs (1.88 ERA) The double-digit strikeout game was the 14th of his career. Pettitte said he found something with his two-seam fastball during his pregame warmups and it carried into the game, but the strikeouts still surprised him. "I dont really try to strike guys out," Pettitte said. "I feel like I am able to keep guys off-balance. My command was really good tonight." Freddy Garcia gave up two hits in 1 2-3 innings to finish the four-hitter. The Yankees were 0 for 2 with the bases loaded in the first inning Tuesday and were hitting .153 (9 for 59) overall before Martin connected in the fourth on an 0-2 pitch for the teams fourth grand slam this year. "Anytime you get a shutout you feel like youve done as youre supposed to do as a catcher," Martin said, "and if you can contribute and hit a home run, a grand slam, against a tough pitcher thats even better." The Yankees scored two runs in the first when Johnsons throw skipped past first baseman Penas glove with the bases full. They loaded them again in the fourth on a single and two walks before Martin connected for his fourth career grand slam. "I always prepare myself that the throw is going to be short," Pena said. "On that play I did my best to pick it for him, us. Unfortunately it was between a short throw and a short hop and I didnt get it." Shields was 5-12 with 4.39 ERA in 23 starts against the Yankees and 2-7 with a 5.00 ERA at Yankee Stadium coming in. He gave up a season-high seven runs -- five earned -- and seven hits in five innings this time and has lost his last three decisions. NOTES: Yankees RHP David Robertson (strained oblique) threw 35 pitches in a bullpen session at Yankee Stadium. He is expected to throw several sessions of batting practice before going out on a rehab assignment. He is still targeting a mid-June return. ... Yankees OF Brett Gardner (strained right elbow) had five at-bats in an extended spring game in Tampa, Fla. There is a remote chance he could return Sunday for the finale of a series against the Mets ... Matsui is wearing No. 35 with the Rays in part to honour former Yankees teammate Mike Mussina. "Hopefully I can end my career with the kind of numbers and performance that Mussina had," Matsui said. Mussina, who wore No. 35 most of his career, won 20 games in his final season. ... Longoria (left hamstring), who has been on the disabled list May 1, is close to going out on a rehab assignment. Maddon said he is doing baseball activities and is with the team in New York. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes