Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ve) that, were going to struggle." Notes: - Countr...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ve) that, were going to struggle." Notes:

Started by amy11, 2014/03/02 06:03AM
Latest post: 2014/03/02 06:03AM, Views: 357, Posts: 1
ve) that, were going to struggle." Notes:
#1   2014/03/02 06:03AM
amy11
SAN DIEGO -- Things got so easy for the San Diego Padres on Monday night they spent the last few innings trying to make history. Cameron Maybin hit a two-run homer, Will Venable had three RBIs and the Padres handed the struggling St. Louis Cardinals an 11-3 loss. The Padres had 17 hits and scored more than one run in five different innings. They scored five runs in their last two at-bats to break open the game and give both Logan Forsythe and Maybin the opportunity to become the first player in franchise history to hit for the cycle. Forsythe struck out in each of his last two at-bats, including in the eighth inning when he took such mighty cuts he nearly lifted himself off the ground -- and fell a home run short of the cycle. "I got away from my approach and tried too hard to make something happen," Forsythe said. "I kind of had to try because it hadnt been done before." San Diego and Miami are the only teams in the majors who have not had a player hit for the cycle. The Padres are also the only team to have not thrown a no-hitter. The Padres were aware of it on the bench and were pulling for Forsythe and Maybin, who needed a double in his last at-bat in the eighth for the cycle. Maybin walked. When someone told Forsythe he didnt get cheated on his swings in the eighth, he said, "No, but it cost me. I learned from it. I wont be doing that again. I tried once and that was good enough." The loss dropped the Cardinals 9 1-2 games behind first-place Cincinnati in the NL Central. The Reds beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in 14 innings. St. Louis, which has lost four of five, had its lead cut to one game over the idle Los Angeles Dodgers for the second NL wild-card berth. "Ugly," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny. "We got a lead, quickly lost it, then couldnt get it stopped. We just had a rough time getting people out." Maybin connected for his seventh homer off Jaime Garcia (4-7) that broke a 2-all tie in the fourth inning. Maybin scored three runs. Chris Denorfia tied his career high with four hits and also had two RBIs. Forsythe added three hits to tie his career high as San Diego matched its season best for runs. "I liked the fact we had Garcia on the ropes in the first, even though he wiggled out of it," San Diego manager Bud Black said about the Padres loading the bases but not scoring. "We kept putting the pressure on him and we had a lot of big, two-out hits," he added. The loss started a crucial seven-game West Coast trip for the Cardinals, who begin a four-game set on Thursday night against the Dodgers. Eric Stults (6-2) allowed three runs on five hits with five strikeouts and a walk in 5 1-3 innings. Stults is 5-0 in seven starts since rejoining the starting rotation on August 6. Garcia got pulled after only three innings, giving up four runs on seven hits. The lefty struck out four, walked three and had two wild pitches. "A bad one," Garcia said. "I didnt get the job done. I was just getting the ball up. Theyve got a good lineup." San Diego has won 14 of 18 overall and 18 of 24 at home. The Cardinals had cut the lead to 6-3 when they loaded the bases with one out in the seventh inning. But Dale Thayer, who came in and gave up a single to Carlos Beltran to load the bases, got Matt Holliday to ground into a double play. Rookie Pete Kozma put the Cardinals ahead on a two-run triple with two outs in the second. Kozma finished with three hits. NOTES: Garcia is 1-5 with an 8.32 ERA in his last six road starts. ... Cardinals RHP Lance Lynn will start Thursday night against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Lynn replaced RHP Jake Westbrook, who sustained a right oblique injury on Saturday. Matheny said the injury is not severe and said it looks as if Westbrook will pitch again this season. ... Padres closer Huston Street, on the DL since Aug. 11 (strained left calf) threw a simulated game. Black said the club will make a decision later in the week when Street will return. ... St. Louis 1B-OF Lance Berkman will have season-ending surgery on Tuesday on his ailing right knee. Berkman has just two homers and seven RBIs in 80 at-bats. .. Cardinals RHP Chris Carpenter threw around 70 pitches in a simulated game on Monday, keeping alive the hope he might pitch this season. Carpenter, 37, has not pitched because of a nerve condition in his right shoulder. ... St. Louis RHP Adam Wainwright (13-12, 4.04 ERA) faces San Diego RHP Edinson Volquez (9-10, 4.27) on Tuesday night. cheap jerseys . Two-time former winner Ana Ivanovic also advanced with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Monica Niculescu of Romania. Coming off her win in Beijing, Azarenka dominated the match from the start as Rus looked overwhelmed. The Dutch player double-faulted eight times and won only two points on her serve in the opening set. cheap nfl jerseys . Danilo Gallinari added 19 points, Andre Iguodala had 11 and JaVale McGee scored 10. Tim Duncan went 8 for 11 from the field in leading the Spurs with 21 points in 25 minutes at the AT&T Center. http://www.chinacheapnfljerseys.biz/[/... . It was his right arm, though, that gave the New York Yankees so much trouble. Verlander matched a career high with 14 strikeouts and got home-run support from Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera, leading the Detroit Tigers over New York 7-2 Monday night. [url=http://www.chinacheapnfljerseys.biz/]cheap nike nfl jerseys .S. Olympic team because of his free agency. Lin is a restricted free agent, so the New York Knicks can match any offer he receives. nfl jerseys cheap . This week they discussed the most disappointing QB/WR combo in the league, where the Blue Bombers go from here and if there is a team that can de-throne the B. BOSTON -- Brandon Jennings had another big opening night for the Milwaukee Bucks, just as he did in his first game as a pro. He enjoyed Friday nights debut a lot more. "We lost that game" in 2009, he said. "So I was glad to take this one." The Bucks took it to the Celtics from the start -- outhustling them and playing better offence and defence -- and ruined Bostons home opener with a 99-88 win that broke Milwaukees streak of five consecutive opening-game losses. Jennings had 21 points, 13 assists and six steals. In his first NBA game, he had 17 points, nine rebounds and nine assists but lost 99-86 at the Philadelphia 76ers. On Friday, the Bucks didnt trail after the first 6 minutes and led by at least 11 points throughout the second half. Boston had cut a 46-30 halftime deficit to 48-35. Milwaukee scored the next six points and led 76-58 going into the fourth quarter. "In the third, when they started to get after it, started to bump us, we responded really well," Bucks coach Scott Skiles said. "We had a lot of energy. Guys were doing their jobs out there." The same cant be said for the Celtics. They allowed the second-fewest points in the NBA last season, but struggled defensively for the second consecutive game. They lost 120-107 to the Miami Heat on Tuesday night, matching the most points they allowed in any game last season. "We have a lot of new people, a lot of guys trying to get adjusted," said Jason Terry, who signed in the off-season as a free agent from the Dallas Mavericks. "Its going to take a while, but to get outworked is definitely unacceptable." Boston was led by Kevin Garnett with 15 points and Rajon Rondo had 14 points and 11 assists. The Celtics lost their first three games last season but reached the Eastern Conference finals where they lost in seven games to the Heat. "It starts and ends with our defence," Rondo said. "Im the point guard. Im the first line of defence and initiate the offence. Ive got to be better." The biggest cheers of the night went to David Ortiz, the Boston Red Sox designated hitter seated in the front row at midcourt. A baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations said the team and Ortiz had agreed to a two-year, $26 million deal. Several fans shouted "congratulations" to Ortiz as he walked to his seat early in the third quaarter.dddddddddddd A loud cheer went up when he was shown on the video scoreboard, then he raised his left arm straight up to acknowledge the crowd. Later in the quarter, the fans booed the Celtics when Monta Ellis hit a layup after a steal by Jennings, giving the Bucks a 66-46 lead with 4:10 left in the period. Tobias Harris scored 18 points for Milwaukee and Ellis had 14. The Bucks led 94-72, matching their biggest lead, on a basket by Jennings with 3:45 to go in the game before the Celtics whittled the final margin to 11 points. The Celtics have just six players who saw action with the team last season and are struggling defensively after holding opponents to the lowest field goal percentage in the league, 41.9 per cent. Offensively, the Celtics could do little inside. "We locked down that paint pretty good," said Larry Sanders, who had 10 points and seven rebounds for the Bucks. "We were all dependent on our teammates." The Celtics allowed the Heat to shoot 54.4 per cent in the opener and the Bucks to make 46.5 per cent. In their final regular season game last season, the Celtics beat the Bucks 87-74. "We missed the playoffs two years in a row, so it started from tonight," Jennings said. "Whether I shoot bad or not, just as long as they know I gave it my all." Milwaukee took control after Paul Pierce gave Boston its last lead, 10-8, with two free throws with 6:34 left in the first quarter. Jennings followed with a layup, Ersan Ilyasova made a short jumper and Ellis dunked on a fast break for a 16-10 lead. It was 25-18 after one quarter before the Bucks held the Celtics to 12 points in the second quarter. Boston improved its shooting in the third quarter, hitting 56.3 per cent, but committed seven turnovers that led to 10 points. "I dont like our urgency yet," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "When you watch us play, I dont like how were approaching the games. And until we (improve) that, were going to struggle." Notes: The Celtics allowed the Bucks to hit 44.4 per cent of their 3-point shots, one game after the Heat made 50 per cent. Last season, Boston was the best in the NBA defending the shot at 30.8 per cent. ... Milwaukee won its first season opener since Nov. 1, 2006, when it beat Detroit 105-97. ... Led by Ilyasovas 11 rebounds, the Bucks held a 51-41 advantage on the boards. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes