Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

fourth inning. "This game is tough sometimes, you ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

fourth inning. "This game is tough sometimes, you just have to keep ba

Started by minli, 2013/07/30 11:02AM
Latest post: 2013/07/30 11:02AM, Views: 293, Posts: 1
fourth inning. "This game is tough sometimes, you just have to keep ba
#1   2013/07/30 11:02AM
minli
ATLANTA -- After an atrocious 1-for-10 night at the free throw line last week, Al Horford decided to spend extra time working on his foul shots. . "Thats one of the things I always work on, and I got away from it a little bit," he said. "I think it showed when I went in that little slump." His recent effort seems to have paid off. Horford scored 17 points and hit two clinching free throws to help the Atlanta Hawks win their sixth straight game with a 94-91 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night. Josh Smith and Lou Williams also had 17 points apiece for the Hawks. Ben Gordon scored 20 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter and Ramon Sessions had 18 to lead Charlotte, which has lost two straight and three of four. Gordons straightaway 3-pointer with 29.1 seconds remaining cut Atlantas lead to 92-91. The Bobcats got the ball back, but Sessions inbounds pass from the left sideline was ruled a turnover after the officials watched replays and concluded neither Gordon nor Smith touched the ball, which bounced out of bounds on the other side of the court with 5.2 seconds to go. "I think if I wouldve touched the ball, it wouldve gone in a different direction, which it didnt," Smith said. "It was a good call by the referees." Horford, who finished with 11 rebounds, followed with two free throws 1.1 seconds later. Before hitting all three foul shots against Charlotte, Horford had missed 11 of his previous 12 attempts. "Ive been working on a lot and watching myself the way Im shooting it," he said. "Now I feel confident, and tonight was big for me to make those shots." In the fourth quarter, Gordon was 5 for 7 on 3s and hit all five free throws he attempted, but he wasnt able to give Charlotte the lead. "I just tried to be aggressive and force the issue a little bit," Gordon said. "My teammates did a good job of finding me. That was pretty much it. It was a good night, but I much prefer to get the W." With Gordon covered in the final seconds, Byron Mullens missed a 3 that wouldve tied the score at the buzzer. Horford was covering him tightly on the perimeter and challenged the shot. "The look was awesome, couldnt really ask for anything better," Mullens said. "I knew I was guarded, but the shot felt great. It felt like I got hit a little bit on the arm, so I kind of over-pressed it and it hit the back iron." The Bobcats were coming off 114-69 loss -- the worst in franchise history -- on Monday at Oklahoma City, but they led at the 2:34 mark of the second quarter when Michael Kidd-Gilchrists layup ended an 18-2 run that put Charlotte up 42-35. By the 7:11 mark of the third, the Hawks led for good after Horfords three-point play made it 52-51. Smith, who finished with a game-high 13 rebounds, was the catalyst for most of the third, scoring 13 points on 5-for-7 shooting and getting four rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot. "Just being active, being around the basketball, creating plays for myself and others, being patient and then when the opportune time comes for me to be aggressive, I took advantage of it," Smith said. "It wasnt necessarily play calls. It was just me being patient and playing to the flow of the offence." Kemba Walker scored 15 points and Brendan Haywood pulled down 11 rebounds for the Bobcats. Horford is pleased that the Hawks reshaped roster, which includes the additions of veterans such as Williams, Kyle Korver, Devin Harris, DeShawn Stevenson and Anthony Morrow, isnt playing like recent Atlanta teams that often squandered games against less-talented opponents. "These games, in the past, one of them we wouldve dropped if we didnt come out with enough energy and little things like that," Horford said. "I think this year were doing a good job even though its closer than we would like. But were getting the wins." NOTES: Korver left with back spasms in the third and didnt return. ... Bobcats C Bismack Biyombo, returning after missing the last two games with a bruise on his lower left leg, finished with six points and eight rebounds in 27 minutes. ... Harris, playing for the first time since spraining his left big toe in last Fridays win at Charlotte, had seven points and four assists. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-dan-orlovsky-jersey-... Orlovsky Jersey . According to ESPN, Rivera has signed a one-year deal with an option with the Dodgers. . It was also their last game at Canad Inns Stadium. Both teams played backup quarterbacks, Montreal because they chose to sit Anthony Calvillo and Winnipeg because Buck Pierce was hurt for the third time this season. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-andre-neblett-jersey... .1 million. Weeden was the No. 22 overall pick this year out of Oklahoma State and will join the rest of the Browns rookies on Wednesday, when camp opens. One of those other newcomers is running back Trent Richardson, also a first-round pick this year, who agreed to a four-year, $20. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-connor-barth-jersey-... Barth Jersey . Sebastian Collberg, Elias Lindholm, Filip Sandberg and Filip Forsberg scored for Sweden (1-0), while Mikael Vikstrand added two assists. Lukas Sedlak had the only goal for the Czech Republic (0-1) while Matej Machovsky stopped 37 shots. . The Wings also picked up transition players Jordan Hall, Joel White, Rob Campbell and a second-round pick in the 2014 draft in the deal. "This trade allows us the opportunity to get the most recognizable player in the sport to join our team," Wings president Michael French said Friday in a release.(Sports Network) - The Toronto Blue Jays will look to complete a three-game series sweep against the Detroit Tigers at Rogers Centre on Sunday. The Jays hit three home runs on Saturday to top the Tigers 5-1. Colby Rasmus, Edwin Encarnacion and Yunel Escobar all left the yard for the Jays, with Rasmus knocking in three on the day. Brett Lawrie and Yan Gomes both recorded a pair of hits in the victory as well. Henderson Alvarez gave up just the one run to the Tigers through seven innings of work, allowing a total of five hits and a couple of walks, while striking out four as he moved to an even 7-7 on the campaign. "I felt great," said Alvarez. "All of my pitches were down in the zone, and every pitch that I threw was working today." "I was really impressed with him -- he has a real live arm," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said about Alvarez. "Looks like he might be a little erratic at times, but he has a good sinker, good velocity. He was impressive. I liked him a lot, he has good stuff." With the win on Saturday the Blue Jays have run their current win streak to three in a row and have posted victories in six of the last eight outings, but still the club is a mere two games over .500 on the season and in fourth place in the AL East standings, nine games behind the New York Yankees. Having won only once since June 18, Brett Cecil tries to get back on track as he takes the mound for the Jays this afternoon. The left-hander, now in his fourth major league campaign, has dropped his last two outings even though he has been rather efficient for the Jays in those contests. Most recently Cecil was on the hill against Oakland on Tuesday, permitting just two runs on five hits and a couple of walks, while striking out eight over six innings, but still Toronto suffered a 7-2 loss at home to the As. Cecil has made just one previous appearance against Detroit in his career, allowing two runs on six hits over seven innings and again failing to earn a favorable deciision. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-kevin-ogletree-jerse... Ogletree Jersey. As for the Tigers, they have Doug Fister preparing to take the ball to close out the series today. The right-hander, who has a career mark of 0-2 versus Toronto and is a mere 1-5 on the road in 2012, had a personal three-game win streak snapped on Tuesday when he suffered the loss versus Cleveland. Against the Tribe, Fister gave up three runs on nine hits and a walk, struck out four through seven innings and actually lowered his season ERA to 4.03 as Detroit absorbed the 3-2 setback. Just a week ago Detroit completed a three-game sweep of the Chicago White Sox at home, but since then the Tigers have been losing ground to the Sox in the standings and find themselves 2 1/2 games out of first place. Last week at this time Detroit was celebrating a five-game win streak and was eight games over .500, but that seems like a long ago now that the club has bowed in three straight and four of the last five contests to fall off the pace in the American League Central. Making his first appearance as a member of the Tigers after being traded from Miami, Anibal Sanchez didnt get off to the sort of start he was hoping for on Saturday afternoon, giving up as many home runs (three) as he had strikeouts in the road loss. Sanchez made it through six innings, surrendered five runs on eight hits and three walks as he assumed defeat. The Tigers offence didnt help much at all as they delivered just five total hits, two by Brennan Boesch who knocked in the only run of the game for the visitors in the fourth inning. "This game is tough sometimes, you just have to keep battling through," said Boesch. "You would like to be more consistent and maybe make the tough stretches shorter, but we are a good team and will just continue to play hard every day and see what happens." Toronto, a team which is second in the AL in home runs (145) and third in slugging (.439), has already matched its win total from all of last season against the Tigers when Detroit took four of the six matchups. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes