Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ways play big," he told Hill. "Dont try to play bi...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ways play big," he told Hill. "Dont try to play big and be small out there." ... Jeff Otah, acquired from Carolina to compete with Wayne Hunter fo

Started by minli, 2013/07/28 10:29AM
Latest post: 2013/07/28 10:07PM, Views: 440, Posts: 2
ways play big," he told Hill. "Dont try to play big and be small out t...
#1   2013/07/28 10:29AM
minli
CANTON, Ohio -- A crew of officials with college experience worked the Hall of Fame game Sunday night, filling in for regulars who are locked out in a labour dispute with the NFL. It was a glimpse of whats to come if the NFL and the officials union fail to reach an agreement before the season openers. And it didnt take long to have a gaffe. Craig Ochoa, who has worked Big Ten games, was the referee for the game between the New Orleans Saints and the Arizona Cardinals. Ochoa has eight years of experience in BCS conferences and 16 years officiating Division III games. He flipped a commemorative coin at midfield to start the game, then incorrectly announced the result to the crowd, saying that New Orleans had won the toss and deferred. Then, starting to walk away, he caught his mistake. "Correction, Arizona won the coin toss," he said. The fill-ins had several rough moments. After New Orleans scored on its first possession, several Saints came in to block for the extra point and gestured to the officials to point out that they had reported for the play. Coming out of the 2-minute warning in the first half, Ochoa announced that the previous play was under review, then corrected himself and said it was not. The officials had trouble spotting the ball after a punt that involved a penalty, repeatedly moving the ball after consultations and a discussion with Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt. The other five officials also have worked college games. Most of them also have experience in other professional leagues, such as the Arena League. Umpire Timothy Morris has worked 16 years in BCS conferences, including the Pac-12. Head linesman Kevin Akin has six years in Division II. Line judge Esteban Garza has one year in Division III. Field judge Rusty Spindel had 25 years in BCS conferences. Side judge Dwayne Strozier has worked 12 years in Division III. Back judge Mark Wetzel has five years in Division II. Commissioner Roger Goodell said Saturday that the league and the officials union had talks last week. The NFL has been training replacement officials for a couple of months to be ready for preseason games and the regular season, should the sides fail to reach an agreement. The league also used replacements for the opening weekend of the 2001 season, then reached a deal with the officials union. CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Keyshawn Johnson wrapped his arm around Santonio Holmes shoulder and walked with him from the practice field. The two laughed a bit as they chatted for a few minutes, one controversial former New York Jets wide receiver giving advice to a current headline-maker. Yes, really. The guy who once wrote an autobiography called "Just Give Me The Damn Ball!" had some tips to share. "Pretty much big brother to little brother-type talk," Holmes said Friday after the Jets first practice of training camp. "Just teaching me how to be cordial to everybody, and to understand what gift I have for this football team and this organization, and just learning how to utilize it." It was a pep talk Holmes needed to hear. Holmes has been considered a villain since last season, when he feuded with Mark Sanchez and the offensive linemen and was benched in the regular-season finale after arguing in the huddle. Holmes also recently ruffled some feathers when he said he didnt think a two-quarterback system can work in the NFL -- despite the Jets planning to use both Sanchez and Tim Tebow on offence. Coach Rex Ryan got a bit miffed when he heard that, telling ESPN before training camp that Holmes doesnt need to act like the teams offensive co-ordinator. That, he said, is Tony Sparanos job. Holmes said it was "just a joke between us," downplaying the latest mini-controversy of which he was at the centre. "He understands me and I understand him and everything that he says," Holmes said, "and were not going to take anything from what was said in the media." Ryan was asked if Holmes comments were, in fact, just a funny thing. "Well, sure. If thats what he said, Im with him all the way," Ryan said, drawing laughter. "But no, the thing that we have to understand is that his job is to come in here and play and all that stuff. Well worry about all of those situations. Tony and I will figure all that out. Just come in here and be the great player that you are." Holmes relationship with the media can also be contentious at times, saying in a recent radio interview that beat reporters should "write positive things" about the Jets. "My advice was to not pay any attention to it," said the outspoken Johnson, who retired in 2006 after an 11-year career and is currently an analyst for ESPN. "Just go out and play, and let the play speak for you and at the end of the day, you can tell them you know what. I mean, thats the way my approach was, that Im going to play and do what I need to do and then Im going to stick my tongue out at you at the end of the day." Holmes is trying to be positive this season -- about Sanchez, Tebow, Sparano and anything else that comes up about the Jets. "Hell probably grow up a little bit," Johnson said. "I mean, if thats the proper words to use, growing up. I think hell get there. Im not worried about him." Holmes acknowledged that there was a lack of trust between all the quarterbacks and receivers last season, saying that it was "all over the pllace amongst us all.dddddddddddd" Things began spiraling midway through the season when he criticized the offensive line, who fired back at him. He stopped short of discussing the relationship he had last season with Sanchez. "That was last year," he said. "Were moving on right now. Lets talk about something positive and whats going on with our football team." Well, whats going on is that Sanchez looked pretty sharp on Day 1 of camp, with Holmes coming up with some nice grabs. They even high-fived each other after one early connection. "Its good to start out like that," Sanchez said. "Its amazing the psychological impact that has not just on a quarterback but on a team. It shows were all capable of plays like that. We didnt have a lot of that last year." The two have said they smoothed things over months ago, and spent a lot of time together in the off-season. "Ive learned a lot from him because weve gotten an opportunity to talk a little more on a personal level and understand each other," Holmes said, "the little things we like, the way the ball needs to be placed in each situation. I think the more we continue to work on that, its only going to get better for us." Thats a good thing for the Jets, who need Sanchez and Holmes to be on the same page at all times. They also need Holmes to stay off the back pages. "Theres so much more media out here in the world, and the scrutiny and Facebooks and social media and all that, that every little word, people hang on," Johnson said. "I think as a player, youve got to know that and let it roll right off your shoulders." NOTES: Ryan confirmed that Matt Slauson, coming off shoulder surgery, and Vladimir Ducasse are "absolutely" competing for the starting job at left guard. Slauson won the previous competition two years ago. ... Ryan said the teams plan for S LaRon Landry (Achilles/heel) is for him to be at "full-go" every third practice, but the Jets will adjust that as they go along so he doesnt overdo it. ... Rookie WR Stephen Hill, the teams second-round draft pick, impressed Johnson with a solid performance at practice that included a long touchdown catch from Sanchez off a tipped pass by Darrelle Revis. "You have soft hands," Johnson said to Hill after meeting him. "I saw you make a nice little grab there." Johnson also said he also saw some of himself in Hill, who is the same height at 6-foot-4. "Always play big," he told Hill. "Dont try to play big and be small out there." ... Jeff Otah, acquired from Carolina to compete with Wayne Hunter for the starting job at RT, still hasnt passed his physical and isnt sure if or when he will. The trade would be nullified if Otah (knee) cant complete running drills within a week. ... LB David Harris walked off the field gingerly midway through practice, favouring his right leg but came back with a wrap on a few minutes later. He said he had "a gash" in his lower leg that needed to be treated, but was "no big deal at all." ' ' '

Re: ways play big," he told Hill. "Dont try to play big and be small o...
#2   2013/07/28 10:07PM
applejuicerss
When tomorrow turns in today, yesterday, and someday that no more important in your memory, we suddenly realize that we are pushed forward by time. This is not a train in still in which you may feel forward when another train goes by. It is the truth that we've all grown up. And we become different.

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes