Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

to rest after receiving an injection in his lower ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

to rest after receiving an injection in his lower back last week. The Indians have no timetable for his return. ... As LHP Brett Anderson (elbow

Started by minli, 2013/07/27 10:48AM
Latest post: 2013/07/27 10:48AM, Views: 286, Posts: 1
to rest after receiving an injection in his lower back last week. The ...
#1   2013/07/27 10:48AM
minli
VANCOUVER -- It took longer than expected, but Andrew Harris earned a place in CFL history Friday night. With a five-yard gain 1:26 into the first quarter, the B.C. Lions running back surpassed 1,000 yards rushing for the first time in his career as the Lions clinched first place in the West Division with a 39-19 victory over the Edmonton Eskimos. "Its cool, but now weve got first place sewed up and thats the biggest thing for us tonight," said Harris, a 25-year-old Winnipeg native. Harris entered the game needing only 17 yards to reach quadruple digits, but he was held in check most of the night and gains negated by a penalty and tackles for losses. "It was tough sledding out there," said Harris who finished with 42 rushing yards. "You just had to fight to get those extra yards. It was good to get over the milestone. Ive just gotta get better from here. That wasnt my best game. There are some areas I need to work on and just go back to the basics a little bit." While recording his personal accomplishment, Harris enabled himself and Calgary counterpart Jon Cornish became the first Canadians in 56 years to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season. Normie Kwong of the Edmonton Eskimos and Gerry James of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were the last Canadians to accomplish the feat together back in 1956. Cornish, a New Westminster, B.C., native whose team was idle Friday, surpassed 1,000 yards earlier in the season. "Its amazing," said Harris. "Cornish is an unreal back and you know Im just honoured to be in that same class with him and all the great Canadian backs weve had in the league. I know hes working to get better and so am I. "Im just looking forward to being in the league with him for the next couple of years and seeing the numbers you put up for the future." Harris became just the ninth Canadian to rush for 1,000 yards. The last Canadian to do so was Edmontons Jerome Messam last season. No Lion had rushed for 1,000 yards since Sean Millington in 2000. "I wasnt really thinking about it too much," said Harris. "I was just going with the game flow and I knew eventually I would pop one or two decent runs. So it happened there in the fourth quarter. "I dont know exactly when I went over a thousand, but its just part of the game, you got to stay at it and stay focused on the things at hand." He finally broke the barrier on a hand-off from B.C. quarterback Mike Reilly, who is usually the backup quarterback but started in place of injured starter Travis Lulay. Lulay, nursing a shoulder injury, was in the lineup, but watched the game from the sidelines. Harris has emerged as a star the past two seasons after reaching the CFL via the Canadian junior ranks rather than the more traditional and easier university route. Although tailback is usually a position for imports, he has paved the way for other teams to go with Canadians. He was never drafted, but became Lions property when they listed him as a territorial protection while he was playing for the Vancouver Island Raiders. Earlier this season, he set a CFL record for combined rushing and receiving yards that Terry Evanshen had held since 1967. Harris is in position to accumulate 2,000 yards on the season. But the task became more difficult as he recorded just 20 receiving yards against the Eskimos. And, now that the Lions (12-4) have clinched top spot in the West, he will likely see less action in their last two games of the regular season. OAKLAND, Calif. - Josh Donaldsons third stint in the majors this season is proving to be a lot more enjoyable for the Oakland infielder than the previous two. Called up from the minors this week after the Athletics placed third baseman Brandon Inge on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, Donaldson had three hits on Oaklands recently completed road trip and followed it up with a career game against Cleveland on Friday night. Donaldson hit a tiebreaking single with the bases loaded in the eighth inning for his fourth hit and the As rallied from four runs down to beat the Indians 6-4. "The previous times Ive been in the (majors) Ive been so amped up I havent allowed my abilities to really work," Donaldson said. "Ever since Ive been here this time, Ive gone up there with a relaxed mentality." The two-run eighth inning capped Oaklands largest comeback this season and kicked off its six-game homestand on a positive note following a disappointing 2-4 road trip. Chris Carter drew a leadoff walk against Cleveland reliever Joe Smith (7-3) and Brandon Moss followed with a single. Pinch-hitter Josh Reddick then blooped a single into right field off Vinnie Pestano before Donaldsons fourth hit of the night scored pinch-runner Adam Rosales. "Staying the other way, letting the ball travel and getting a longer look at it, thats the things we preach in those type of situations," As manager Bob Melvin said. "Now its difficult sometimes to go up there when the games racing and you want to be the hero, but he did just that and it was a great at-bat." Donaldson had three singles, a double and two RBIs. It was the first four-hit game of his career. Cliff Pennington added a sacrifice fly to finish the rally for the As, who pulled within five games of first-place Texas in the AL West and a half-game of the second wild-card spot. Shelley Duncan hit his first career grand slam for the Indians. "Once we got the grand slam we couldnt get the shutdown inning," Cleveland manager Manny Acta said. "We allowed them to get the momentum back. Baseball is all about pitching and they got it." Jordan Norberto (4-1) pitched 1 2-3 innings for the win and Grant Balfour worked the ninth for his 10th save, capping a stellar night for Oaklands bullpen after starter Tommy Milone struggled. Cleveland managed only one hit and two baserunners following Duncans grand slam off Milone in the fourth. Pat Neshek relieved in the sixth and pitched 1 1-3 scoreless innings before giving way to Norberto. The As also got an emotional lift from Reddick, their leading home run hitter who was not in the starting llineup after undergoing a second dental procedure earlier in the day.dddddddddddd Yoenis Cespedes had two hits, Pennington added two RBIs and Moss scored twice to help the As win for the 10th time in 21 games following a 16-2 run in July. Cleveland dropped to 1-3 on its nine-game road trip. The Indians fell to 10-24 since the All-Star break, the worst mark in the AL. It didnt start out so bad for the Indians. Carlos Santana walked leading off the first and went to second when Cespedes misplayed Michael Brantleys fly ball to left. The play was originally scored an error before being changed to a hit nearly an hour after the game. Jason Donald followed with a single to load the bases before Duncan hit a 3-2 pitch from Milone into the stands above the left-field scoreboard. It was Duncans 11th home run this season but only his fourth hit in August. The designated hitter went into the game batting .107 this month. Cleveland starter Zach McAllister, who began the season with Triple-A Columbus, couldnt make the four-run lead hold up. The right-hander had six strikeouts and one walk but pitched with runners on base in every inning. He gave up an RBI double to Donaldson in the fourth and the As pulled within 4-2 when Moss scored on Derek Norris grounder. Pennington followed with a two-out single to drive in Donaldson. Oakland tied it in the fifth when Cespedes doubled, stole third and scored on Carters sacrifice fly. "It was great to get a good jump on the game and get runs on the board early," Duncan said. "But for them to answer like that killed us." Milone struck out six and walked one. He is winless in his last five starts and has a 7.13 ERA during that span. NOTES: Norris, Oaklands catcher, was hit in the back of the head on Santanas follow-through in the first but remained in the game. ... Several members of the As 2002 team were on hand. The franchise is celebrating the 10th anniversary of Oaklands 20-game winning streak, which was the subject of the movie "Moneyball." ... Acta said he expects to bring up at least one starter when rosters expand in September. ... Cleveland slugger Travis Hafner, on the disabled list since Aug. 6, continues to rest after receiving an injection in his lower back last week. The Indians have no timetable for his return. ... As LHP Brett Anderson (elbow) is slated to throw a bullpen Saturday. ... RHP Bartolo Colon (9-9), who pitches for Oakland on Saturday, has a 2.47 ERA since coming off the disabled list July 3. RHP Corey Kluber (0-1) pitches the middle game for Cleveland in his fifth start this season. ... Donald made his first career start in left field. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes