Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

me at Pittsburgh. Revis suffered - Country Music T...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

me at Pittsburgh. Revis suffered

Started by amy11, 2013/07/12 10:53AM
Latest post: 2013/07/12 10:53AM, Views: 395, Posts: 1
me at Pittsburgh. Revis suffered
#1   2013/07/12 10:53AM
amy11
SAN FRANCISCO -- Shaun Hill has gone from undrafted rookie free agent to starting quarterback in his eight-year NFL journey. Carlos Rogers Jersey . Hills late-season success last year for the San Francisco 49ers told coach Mike Singletary plenty about his potential to start in this league, and Singletary on Monday gave Hill the nod as the Niners starting quarterback over Alex Smith. "I like the consistency," Singletary said of Hill. "I think he has a commanding presence about him when he gets in the huddle. I think the guys have learned to rally around him and his leadership." Singletary made the public announcement before Monday afternoons practice at the teams Santa Clara headquarters after talking to both QBs separately on Sunday and again together Monday morning. Hill had no idea when he and Smith would find out who had earned the job -- and insisted he had to keep that far from his mind and focus on the task at hand. "This was obviously the goal of mine coming into the off-season. That part was exciting," Hill said. "I know there is a lot of work yet to be done. I need to get better and this offence needs to get better. I definitely cant stop and smell the roses." Singletary had been hesitant to say who was leading the competition and each QB earned one exhibition start. Neither did much to distinguish himself in those outings according to Singletary, who hadnt planned to name his starter until after Saturdays pre-season game at Dallas. But he decided it was better for everybody -- Hill and Smith themselves, the receivers and offensive line -- to move ahead with one starter now in preparation for the regular season. Singletary reiterated Monday "there was never a huge gap at any particular time," but that Hills intangibles separated him. The coach was impressed with the class of both quarterbacks through the process and when he talked to them. "Just had them understand why we made the decision and how important it is that they continue to push each other and compete," Singletary said. "I feel very fortunate to have both of them. They both made great strides." This wasnt a big surprise considering how Hill finished last season. Hes also never lost at home as a starter at Candlestick Park in five games the past two years. He went 5-3 over the Niners final eight games last season and was 2-0 as a fill-in starter in 2007. He has shown he can lead the team and, ultimately, win. Hills success down the stretch also helped Singletary shed the interim tag from his title heading into 2009 after he took over in late October for the fired Mike Nolan. Hill showed up at training camp saying he believed he would win the job -- and Singletary had repeatedly said he expected Smith would have to take the job from Hill. Singletary, offensive co-ordinator Jimmy Raye and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson came to the decision together. "Its just a matter of Shaun having a presence in the huddle, leading us through the end of last season and really having the confidence coming into this, probably feeling in his mind that he was the guy all along," Singletary said. "Alex Smith, on the other side, having to prove that he can get through all of the stuff to get to a point of competing. Im very proud of what hes had to overcome." The 29-year-old Hill, undrafted out of Maryland and entering his eighth NFL season, began his career with Minnesota before signing with the Niners as an unrestricted free agent in June 2006. He has never started a season opener and has only 10 career starts. "It has been quite a ride," Hill said. "I almost made it through my whole sixth season without taking a snap in the league. And now here I am with the opportunity to start for one of the most storied franchises in the NFL, a franchise that has had great quarterbacks throughout its history. I am very honoured to have this opportunity. Im very honoured to have this opportunity with the 49ers." Smith missed all of the 2008 season after reinjuring his surgically repaired throwing shoulder. He has shown plenty of positive signs during training camp that hes back and ready to help the team. "Its nothing you ever like to hear," Smith said. "Hopefully nothing you ever get used to hearing. Its not fun, but at the same time, it doesnt change anything for me. My mindset cant change." The 49ers open the season at Arizona on Sept. 13. Steve Young Jersey . The two-time Olympic silver medallist quietly returned to his home in Montreal over the weekend after last weeks training accident in Spain. Deion Sanders 49ers Jersey .J. -- Tim Tebow might add a new job title to an already-lengthy list. http://www.shop49ersgear.us/ . -- Mike Moustakas and the Kansas City Royals put on an offensive display that ruined Adam Dunns 400th career homer. Colin Kaepernick Elite Jersey .J. -- The lockout-shortened 48-game season hasnt started and the New Jersey Devils are already looking goals. Colin Kaepernick Official Jersey . Offensively, Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan are the two biggest trade pieces available. While the New York Rangers have been widely considered the frontrunners for Nash, the fact that both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins failed to land Parise means these two powerhouse teams will now focus on Columbus and perhaps, engage in a bidding war that Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson predicted would happen once Zach Parise made his move.FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis is fully recovered from a concussion and will play for the New York Jets after practicing fully for the second straight day. The All-Pro cornerback is listed as probable on the teams injury report Friday, meaning hell be back in Rex Ryans secondary on Sunday in Miami after he missed last weeks game at Pittsburgh. Revis suffered what the team called a "minor concussion&quuot; in the season opener against Buffalo. Colin Kaepernick Red Jersey. Tight end Dustin Keller (right hamstring) is questionable after missing last weeks game, as is defensive back Ellis Lankster (lower back). Ryan says fullback John Conner (right knee) and linebacker Bryan Thomas (hamstring) are doubtful and unlikely to play. Tight end Konrad Reuland would fill in for Conner if he cant go. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes