Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ed the 18th hole for the first time all week and d...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ed the 18th hole for the first time all week and de

Started by wff0605, 2015/03/11 09:44PM
Latest post: 2015/03/11 09:44PM, Views: 205, Posts: 1
ed the 18th hole for the first time all week and de
#1   2015/03/11 09:44PM
wff0605
TORONTO – The Maple Leafs came from behind to win in each of their first three games this season. They were not able to complete such a feat once more with the Avalanche and their youthful swagger in town on Tuesday night. Rushing hard to the crease of Jonathan Bernier in the opening minutes of the third and final frame, P.A. Parenteau tapped in the eventual game-winner, keeping Colorado perfect while dealing the Leafs their first loss of the season. "We just got behind and we werent able to bang that one in to tie it," Tyler Bozak said after the game, which saw his team outshot 33-28. "Were 3-1," he continued of the Leafs record after four games. "Were not too upset. Its a good start to the season. I dont think many [in the media] wouldve called us having that record to start the year." While they managed 11 goals in the opening three games, the Leafs lacked sustenance and punch in their offensive attack on this night, Joffrey Lupul the lone man in blue to beat Semyon Varlomov. Rarely did the previously unbeaten home side sustain pressure down low in the offensive zone, a consistent assault off the rush additionally inconsistent. "We were held in our own zone from their aggressiveness," Randy Carlyle observed afterward. "We didnt seem to be able to handle it, specifically in the second period." Phil Kessel managed the lone shot in the opening eight and a half minutes of that middle frame. The Leafs finished the period with just seven to 15 for the Avalanche. Guided by new head coach and Hall of Fame netminder Patrick Roy, Colorado has stormed out of the gate this season. "Theyre a really good team," Bozak said of the Avalanche, who improved to 3-0-0. "Theyre a lot different than what they were last year. "Theyre all buying in, theyve got a ton of skill up front, [and] theyre a hard team to play against." The Leafs had perhaps their best opportunity to even the score midway through the final frame, with Cory Sarich – who scored the first Avalanche goal – called off for tripping. Though they maintained possession through much of the man advantage, they could not ultimately beat Varlamov, who owns a .967 save percentage in three starts this season. Sturdy once more in his first home start of the season, Jonathan Bernier made 31 saves. Due to injuries, family matters and the ongoing suspension to David Clarkson, the Leafs were short four regulars in their forward group on Tuesday night, essentially leaning on just two lines for offence. Carlyle refused to point the finger in that direction though after the game though. "Youre going to have to deal with adversity throughout the course of the season," he said. "To me they can be built-in excuses and were not going there with this hockey club." Fortunate, in some regard, to scratch together victories in each of their first three games this season, the Leafs couldnt overcome what adversity they faced on Tuesday night, and were thus dealt their first loss this season. Five Points 1. Lacking punch with regulars out Clarkson sat out the fourth game of his 10-game suspension, Nik Kulemin (ankle) and Frazer McLaren (finger) remained out with injuries and Jay McClement was with his wife Tuesday for the birth of their first child, a baby boy. The result was a group short on much depth offensively. Beyond Nazem Kadri in fact, the remaining five forwards on the Leafs bottom two lines Tuesday had combined for exactly 21 career NHL goals. It was no surprise then that Carlyle would shorten his bench considerably in the final period with his team down a goal. PLAYER 3rd Pd Ice Time Colton Orr 2:35 Carter Ashton 2:35 Jamie Devane 1:24 Trevor Smith 1:25 Troy Bodie 1:16 2. Sturdy once more Bernier stopped all but two from the Avalanche, a second-period marker from Sarich the lone one of question. "He made a good shot, but thats definitely a save that Ive gotta make," Bernier said afterward. "Its a routine save. Thats a goal that I want to take back." Sarich burst down from the right point, surprising Bernier with a shot, the puck sailing rapidly over his glove and just under the bar. "There was a guy back-door so I was expecting more pass than a shot like this, but, like I said, thats a save Ive got to make for my team and try to keep them as long as possible in the game." Competing for the No. 1 position, he and James Reimer have rotated the first four games of the season, with the Predators up next on the docket Thursday night. Where Carlyle leans next will be curious. Bernier holds a 7-1-0 career mark against Nashville with a 1.88 goals against average and .932 save percentage. "Hes given us a chance to win every time hes been in there and been spectacular at some points," Lupul noted of Bernier, who has a .963 save percentage so far this season. "We cant ask anything more of him." 3. Speed adjustment Paul Ranger is predictably requiring some time to shake off four years worth of rust. The 29-year-old defender left the Lightning in the fall of 2009, finally returning to the NHL this season with the Leafs. Of his re-adjustment to the league, Ranger said the greatest challenge was catching back up to the speed. "I think thats probably the biggest thing," he observed before Tuesdays game. Spending last season in the AHL with the Marlies, Ranger explained that the challenge lied in the ability to read and anticipate plays at the high speeds of the games top level. One such example of that recent adjustment saw him holding the puck on the offensive blue-line with intentions of firing it through to the net. "Its a split-second [decision] in real time," he said, "but to me it seems like I have a little bit more time to really get the puck through versus before when Id get the puck Id look up and thered be a guy right in front of me already. So you just learn to move quicker." In perhaps a fitting instance of his re-adjustment, Ranger was beaten to a puck in the neutral zone by Jamie McGinn early in the third period, McGinn storming wide and beyond Ranger before feeding Parenteau for the eventual game-winner. 4. Special Teams One of the more crucial elements of the Leafs success in 2013, strong special teams will remain high on the agenda of Carlyle this season. "Our goal is to have our special teams try to be in the top 10 per cent of the league," he said. "Thats what your goal is every year. You try to make sure youre amongst the elite in the league with both specialty teams because it definitely does improve your chances of having success if youre able to accomplish that. And its not an easy feat. Theres good teams, good players that play in those situations and good coaches that devise schemes so its an ongoing battle." The Leafs had terrific special teams a year ago, boasting the leagues second-best penalty kill and 14th ranked power-play unit. While still early, both units have remained strong through the first four games this season though the power-play came up empty in two opportunities on Tuesday night. 5. Long-time fan makes debut Trevor Smith was born in Ottawa and spent much of his childhood in Vancouver, but grew up a Leafs fan, even sporting a personalized Toronto sweater as a kid. He made his debut with the club against the Avalanche on Tuesday, totaling about five minutes on a fourth line with Jamie Devane and Troy Bodie. "Its awesome," he said of the opportunity to play for the Leafs before the game. "To put that jersey on for the first time in the regular season, itll be a true honour." Stat-Pack 27-67 or 40 per cent – Leafs on the draw against the Avalanche. 14 – Shot attempts for Phil Kessel. 31 – Shifts for Cody Franson, leading the team. 5 – Leafs with fewer than 10 minutes of ice-time. 20:03 – Ice-time for Jake Gardiner. 5 – Points for Joffrey Lupul through four games to lead the team. 34.5 – Average shot attempts for Toronto opponents so far this season. 13:00 – Ice-time for Nazem Kadri. Special Teams Capsule PP: 0-2 PK: 3-3 Quote of the Night "To me they can be built-in excuses and were not going there with this hockey club." -Randy Carlyle on missing a number of regulars on Tuesday night. Up Next The Leafs visit Seth Jones, Shea Weber and the Predators in Music City on Thursday night. Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping . In a statement this week, the Malaysian-based Badminton World Federation said as part of its testing program of international level players, "Kim and Lee were required to provide whereabouts information for the BWF to conduct out-of-competition testing. cheapauthenticjerseys . Alex Basso had four assists as the Sarnia Sting beat the London Knights 4-3 in Ontario Hockey League action Sunday afternoon. Jerseys Cheap . Corinthians says in a statement the deal for the Manchester City striker has not been done as "more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20.MARANA, Ariz. -- Hunter Mahan stopped Rory McIlroys march to No. 1 by winning the Match Play Championship on Sunday. Mahan won four holes in a five-hole stretch starting with a 9-iron to 2 feet on the sixth hole, building a 4-up lead through 10 holes. Even as McIlroy threw his best stuff at him on the back nine, Mahan responded with two clutch birdies to stay in control. Mahan won, 2 and 1, to capture his second World Golf Championship title. "Hes the best player in the world right now," Mahan said. "I knew hed made a charge, and he did." McIlroy defeated Lee Westwood in the semifinals Sunday morning, a high-stakes match because if either of them won the Match Play Championship, they would replace Luke Donald atop the world ranking. Mahan made sure that didnt happen this week. He played 96 holes in his six matches and had 35 birdies on his scorecards. Mahan defeated Mark Wilson in his semifinal match -- Wilson was his only opponent all week who had not played in a Ryder Cup or a Presidents Cup. McIlroy, who made seven birdies in a 10-hole stretch Sunday morning to beat Westwood, couldnt muster any magic in the afternoon. He missed a 4-foot par putt that would have won the opening hole, then fell behind with a series of mistakes. On the seventh hole, with Mahan already in trouble in a deep collection area left of the green, McIlroy pulled his short iron and joined him there. But it took McIlroy two chips to get on the green, and he lost the hole with a double bogey. Then McIlroys sand wedge hopped over the green on the par-5 eighth and he lost that hole with a bogey. Mahans big lead was enough to withstand the McIlroy charge. The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland played the opening six holes on the back nine in 5-under par, but still picked up only one hole on Mahan. "I tried to claw myself back, but I left myself too much work," McIlroy said. He also got off to a slow start against Westwood, 3 down through four holes, before roaring past him. McIlroy didnt have the shots, and didnt appear to have the energy, to do that twice in one day. That was always his concern. There was so much anticipation about his semifinal match with Westwood. "I knew that might be the toughest thing for me," McIlroy said. "I knew that if I got through, I had to get myself up for the final. Thats not an excuse. He was solid as ever. Hes a deserving champion." Mahan became the first American to win the Match Play Championship since Tiger Woods in 2008. He became only the sixth player to win multiple WGC titles, joining Woods, Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, Geoff Ogilvy and Darren Clarke.dddddddddddd The last time Mahan was in a pressure situation against a player from Northern Ireland was in the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor, when U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell made a 15-foot birdie putt on the 16th hole of the decisive match. Even so, the memories of that match are Mahan duffing a chip on the last hole, even though McDowell was likely to win the match. Mahan has worked hard on his chipping, and he feels it carried him this week. Two shots were pivotal. McIlroy won his first hole by chipping in for eagle from about 60 feet on the par-5 11th. Two holes later, McIlroy was safely in for birdie and Mahan had to get up-and-down from a bunker to avoid losing another hole. He blasted out to 6 feet and made the putt. McIlroy birdied the 14th from 7 feet to cut the lead to 2 up, and on the 315-yard 15th, he hit driver to 30 feet for an eagle attempt. Mahan was short of the green, and elected to use his putter. He rolled it up the slope to tap-in range, and McIlroy missed. Mahan likely goes to No. 9 in the world, the first time in his career he has been in the top 10. He earned $1.4 million for his fourth career victory, two of them WGC titles against the worlds best players. McIlroy looked like the worlds best player Sunday morning. In the most anticipated match of the week, Westwood birdied two holes and won another when McIlroy missed a 5-footer for par to build a 3-up lead through four holes. As quickly as Westwood took the lead, he lost it. McIlroy was simply sensational. He made par to win the fifth hole, made a 30-foot birdie on the sixth, caught Westwood with a 15-foot birdie putt on the par-5 eighth, then took a 1-up lead to the back nine with a 5-foot birdie. McIlroy holed a 25-foot birdie on the 12th to go 2 up, then seized control with a birdie on the 13th as Westwood was wild off the tee. His drive sailed left into the gallery, hit a woman in the back and the ball rolled down the inside of her sweater. "Would you mind walking 250 yards forward?" quipped Billy Foster, Westwoods caddie. That might not have mattered the way McIlroy played. He closed him out on the 17th hole. Mahan won the first two holes against Wilson and never trailed, though he didnt take control until a birdie on the 15th hole. In the consolation match, Wilson played the 18th hole for the first time all week and defeated Westwood, 1 up. cheap jerseys wholesale jerseys ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes