Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ce-enhancing drug use in baseball, but he added - ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ce-enhancing drug use in baseball, but he added

Started by wff0605, 2015/03/10 10:47PM
Latest post: 2015/03/10 10:47PM, Views: 159, Posts: 1
ce-enhancing drug use in baseball, but he added
#1   2015/03/10 10:47PM
wff0605
Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca! Hey Kerry - Love the column. Just wanted to ask about a hit in last nights Caps/Rangers overtime game. Mike Green was pursuing the puck at full speed in his defensive zone along the right boards while killing a penalty and won the race to the puck with Dan Girardi flying down the boards heading straight to Green. Green cleared the puck down the ice and was then leveled by Girardi. It was clear to me that Girardi jumped and left the ice to deliver the hit although it did seem as if no contact was made to the head. I still feel this should have been a charging penalty as Girardi did "leave his feet" (OK, his feet were still attached to his body, but you know what I mean). No call was made that would have evened up on-ice manpower and the Rangers then scored the winning PP goal. Do you think a charging penalty should have been called there? Thanks again for the column and keep up the great work! ERIC R.Plainview, Long Island, NY. Hi Eric: I have to agree with my good friends Mike Emrick and Pierre McGuire as they correctly reported the big collision between Dan Girardi and Mike Green (video link) from their respective NBC broadcast positions. It was a legal body check in my books as well, in spite of the fact that Giradis skates came slightly off the ice through impact. We never want to take this form of body contact out of the game. Both Girardi and Green were accountable and made responsible decisions as they entered a footrace from different directions for a loose puck at the half-wall in the Caps end zone. Pierre nailed it when he said that Mike Green took a hit to make the play and he knew it was coming. Green became extremely aware of his environment as he scanned the horizon while in pursuit of the puck. Mike Green was not only searching for his outlets but also to detect any incoming Ranger missiles. To Greens credit he never slowed or bailed but instead took the hit from Dan Girardi straight up after making a great play to clear the puck from his end zone. On the other side of the play, Dan Girardi approached the puck and Green with speed. Knowing that he would lose the race to the puck, Girardis decision to make a legal body check was, in part, made possible by his set up and angle of attack. Prior to impact, Dan Girardi made a great decision to move off center of Greens body mass and utilize shoulder to shoulder contact on his opponent to totally avoid Greens head. There was no elevation of Girardis elbow before, during or after he made contact with his opponent. Instead, a tightly wrapped body package was maintained by Girardi as a "targeted" shoulder impact point was utilized by the NY Rangers stud defenceman. If more players make responsible decisions when delivering body checks such as this one by Dan Girardi, Brendan Shanahan and his Player Safety Committee will have a greatly diminished work load. That is something we can all hope for! This was a great defensive play by Mike Green; a highly responsible decision that resulted in a tremendous body check by Dan Girardi; and a superb decision by the referee(s) not to overreact to the impact of the hit or the fact that Girardis skates came slightly off the ice at contact. Ill accept that little bit of "bad" anytime (blades off the ice) considering all the "good" that resulted. This form of legal body checking is the foundation of the game. Move off the head and next we can work on keeping the skates firmly planted on the ice. For a personally autographed copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit The Book Keeper website. For a regular copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit here. wholesale jerseys . They also weigh in on the injury to World Peace and LeBron getting hacked. 1. With their season winding down and the playoffs out of reach yet again, what are the Raptors biggest needs this off-season? Mitch Ward: Start by dealing Andrea Bargnani for an asset the team can use like a backup point guard, a three-point shooter, some help in the post. wholesale nfl jerseys . The Saskatchewan Roughriders running back is not only leading the league in rushing with 1,149 yards, hes also on pace to become the most dominant single-season runner in league history. http://www.wholesalejerseychinast... . Six finalists invited to ceremony in New York are the most since 1994. The winner will be announced Saturday. Winston is the overwhelming favourite to win the award Saturday night in New York now that a sexual assault complaint against him in Tallahassee, Fla. [url=http://www.wholesalejerseychinastore.com/]nfl jerseys china . Jim Thome twisting his body, trying to coax a liner to kick up chalk. Those tricky calls arent being farmed out to technology quite yet. cheap jerseys . Catch the interview this Friday on TSN at 5pm et/2pm pt. The appearance will mark Sonnens second time on the show in the last five weeks. The always outspoken fighter was as a guest on OTR in November, but when the interview took a contentious turn, Sonnen ultimately removed his microphone and walked off mid-interview. WASHINGTON -- Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens sat some 20 feet apart, Pettitte on the witness stand and Clemens at the defence table trying to avoid going to jail. The topic: a remark about human growth hormone Pettitte recalled hearing from his longtime teammate, mentor and workout partner a dozen years ago. "Roger had mentioned to me that he had taken HGH," Pettitte testified. "And that it could help with recovery, and thats really all I remember about the conversation." The rest of the details are fuzzy. Pettitte went on to acknowledge that the words were said in passing during an intense workout. Its a conversation that Clemens has famously claimed that Pettitte "misremembers." The right-hander on trial who won 354 major league games and the lefty on the stand with 240 wins had an awkward reunion Tuesday, Day 8 in the retrial of charges that Clemens lied when he told Congress in 2008 that he never used steroids or HGH. Pettittes appearance enlivened the proceedings and came without warning. The government interrupted testimony from the trials first witness to call Pettitte just before noon. Wearing a grey suit, he walked into court a day after allowing six runs and 10 hits with eight strikeouts over 5 2-3 innings in an extended spring training game in Clearwater, Fla., as part his comeback attempt at age 39 with the New York Yankees. Pettitte testified mostly with his hands clasped in front of him and rarely looked at Clemens, even during the lengthy delays when lawyers held conferences at the judges bench. Clemens frequently took notes. The two havent spoken recently because of the trial, but Pettitte nevertheless said he found it difficult to testify because he still considers Clemens a good friend. Pettitte is crucial to a government case that will otherwise rely heavily on the testimony of Brian McNamee, who worked as a strength coach for both Clemens and Pettitte and has said he injected both men with performance-enhancing substances. The government showed the jury photos of the three working out together in Texas during happier times -- "Mac, Roger and me," as Pettitte put it. Pettitte has acknowledged he received HGH from McNamee; Clemens has not. Pettitte told the jury about the time he used HGH in 2002 while recovering from an injury, but he wasnt allowed to say he was injected by McNamee because the judge ruled that information inadmissible. Pettitte said he used HGH one other time, in 2004. He said he regretted it both times he tried it, that he doesnt think it helped him physically and that it has tarnished his name. "I wish I never wouldve" taken HGH, he said. "If I hadnt done it, I wouldnt be here today." Asked to recall the conversation in which Clemens supposedly admitted to using HGH, Pettitte remembered it taking place during a workout at Clemens house in Texas during the 1999-2000 off-season. Maybe inside the gym. Maybe outside. Then, under cross-examination from one of Clemens lawyers, Pettitte revealed hhow tenuous his account might seem to the jury.ddddddddddddAttorney Michael Attanassio asked if it came amid a "lot of huffing and puffing" that accompanies a workout. "Yes," Pettitte answered. Pettitte was then asked if Clemens remark was made "in passing" -- as opposed to in a "focused conversation." "I would say so," Pettitte said. Pettitte will return to the stand on Wednesday. Pettitte also recalled the other time he spoke with Clemens about HGH, during the media swirl surrounding earlier congressional hearings -- in 2005 -- on drug use in sports. Both were playing for the Houston Astros, and Pettitte asked Clemens at spring training what Clemens would say if asked by reporters about HGH use. Clemens responded: "What are you talking about?" according to Pettitte, and that Pettitte must have misunderstood the 1999-2000 conversation. "He said, My wife used it," Pettitte said. "Obviously I was a little flustered," Pettitte said, "because I thought that he told me that he did." Both Clemens and McNamee have said that McNamee injected Debbie Clemens with HGH at the Clemens home in 2003, although they differ over certain details. Clemens has said publicly multiple times, including before Congress at a February 2008 hearing, that Pettitte "misremembers" the 1999-2000 conversation. Before he could begin testifying about Clemens, Pettitte had to answer very rudimentary questions meant to educate a jury that knows little about baseball, leading him to make statements such as: "The Boston Red Sox play in Boston." Pettitte mentioned Clemens -- along with pitchers Nolan Ryan and Jim Abbott -- as players he admired while growing up in Texas. Ten years apart in age, Pettitte said he "hit it off immediately" when he and Clemens first became teammates with the Yankees in 1999. They remained teammates for nine seasons, five with the Yankees, then three with the Astros, then one more back in New York before Clemens retired after the 2007 season. The trial was moving at a laborious pace before Pettitte appeared. Clemens lawyer, Rusty Hardin, spent the morning trying to challenge the merits of the 2008 hearing, specifically honing in on whether the questions asked of Clemens had anything to do with Congress stated mission of passing laws. But Hardin was walking a fine line. A substantial challenge to the validity of the hearings could open the door to allow the government to introduce more evidence about the widespread use of steroids and HGH in baseball -- something Clemens doesnt want the jury to hear for fear of guilt by association. The trials first witness, Phil Barnett, was majority staff director for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee when that panel held the 2008 hearing. He said the hearing helped determine the accuracy of the 2007 Mitchell Report on performance-enhancing drug use in baseball, but he added that no legislation was passed as a result. cheap jerseys wholesale jerseys ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes