Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

lta winless at home in seven matches at Balaidos -...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

lta winless at home in seven matches at Balaidos

Started by wff0605, 2014/11/15 09:46PM
Latest post: 2014/11/15 09:46PM, Views: 301, Posts: 1
lta winless at home in seven matches at Balaidos
#1   2014/11/15 09:46PM
wff0605
LAKE PLACID, N. .Y. -- Despite finishing behind winner Kaillie Humphries of Calgary, Lolo Jones and Tianna Madison couldnt hide their glee. Neither could their coach. Jones and Madison, a pair of track-and-field Olympic stars who decided to try bobsledding, couldnt have imagined a better start to their new careers. Jones teamed with driver Jazmine Fenlator to win silver in the World Cup opener at Lake Placid on Friday. Humphries, the reigning world champion, teamed with brakeman Chelsea Valois of Zenon Park, Sask., to easily win gold even though a few mistakes were made. "They werent perfect runs," Humphries said. "Ive still got a lot of room for improvement, but its a great start to the season. "Im just happy I could prevent a sweep (by the United States). All three of the brakemen on the podium were rookies, so I think thats a testament to our sport. Weve got some stiff competition with the U.S." Jones and Madison edged teammates Elana Meyers and Madison by a scant 0.01 seconds. "Im kind of in shock," said Jones, a two-time Olympic hurdler from Iowa. "Weve been training with all the other Team USA members. Its been an inner battle within our own team. I think this is great that we had a great run today on race day. Im so used to just so relying on myself. Ive never experienced this level of having a team before." Humphries and Valois finished the two runs in one minute 54.86 seconds, 0.47 seconds ahead of Fenlator and Jones. "Im shocked," Fenlator said after winning the first World Cup medal of her career. "In my wildest dreams, I did not think I would make it to the podium." Later in the day, Steven Holcomb won the two-man gold medal as the United States swept the top two spots. Holcomb and brakeman Steve Langton finished the two heats in 1:51.75 seconds to best teammates Cory Butner and brakeman Charles Berkeley by 0.60 seconds. Francesco Friedrich and Gino Gerhardi of Germany took the bronze. Jones and Fenlator had the second-fastest start on the first run and were sixth the second time, while Meyers and Madison were third-fastest both times at the start. "Little did I know coming out here would just like open up the floodgates to something just completely new for me," Jones said. "Im just thrilled to be out here, and Jazmines humble. Shes really dealing with a true rookie. "Im a veteran in my own sport, but the first run she just had to drive to make up for my lack of technique because Im still working on it. Im not on the start line confident in all of my angles yet, so she has to really drive amazing. My hats off to her. Literally, moments before shes still showing me angles." Jamie Greubel and Aja Evans were ninth in USA-2 on a day the powerful Germans finished no better than fifth in the 16-sled field at Mount Van Hoevenberg. "I just wanted to stay relaxed," Fenlator said. "I knew that Lolo was hyped. I just tried to stay nice and smooth. Lolo and Tianna have great experience in high-pressure situations. They stayed really calm, so even though theyre rookies in the sport, you know on game day theyre going to be ready to go." Indeed. "Its pretty awesome, she did great her first race," Meyers said of Madison. "They (Madison, Jones and Evans) are doing tremendous for this team. Just their spirit of competitiveness and willingness to fight for everything brings the whole level of the team up. Its pretty awesome having them here." Meyers was instrumental in enticing the three track athletes -- Evans is a former shot putter and with Greubel set a new start record here last month -- to give bobsled a try. One race doesnt make a season, but the potential seems boundless. "The veterans on the team did an amazing job reaching out to us and kind of teaching us step by step," said Madison, a gold medallist in the 4 x 100 relay in London last summer. "It was a totally different world for us. Elana definitely led the charge that helped bring us together as a team." Todd Hays, the womens coach who has had his share of critics, simply stood to the side and soaked in the moment. "I saw a lot of tendencies in the week with these girls of adding great velocity to the sleds," said Hays, a former star on the mens team who had a concussion and retired prior to the Vancouver Olympics. "It appeared to be a good match to team up the girls the way we did. Luckily for me, it worked out." Hays said the plan was to rotate the rookies among sleds during the World Cup season in an effort to keep everyone healthy. He said the teams that will compete at Sochi in 2014 will be named at the start of next seasons World Cup. "Im excited," Hays said. "Its great when you know someone can be very good and when they reach that potential, as a coach it feels great. Im extremely proud. Im passionate about the sport. I want to win. Any time we get two of our girls on the podium the first race, its certainly a big day for us." [url=http://www.worldcupjerseys.us.com/]cheap jerseys . After a first half which saw the lead change hands several times, the Americans came out in the second half with an 18-7 run, keyed largely by Miami Heat forward LeBron James. China Jerseys Wholesale . The move is believed to make room for AHL scoring leader Ryan Strome to be added into the Islanders lineup. http://www.chinajerseyscheap.us.com/[/... . Six finalists invited to ceremony in New York are the most since 1994. The winner will be announced Saturday. Winston is the overwhelming favourite to win the award Saturday night in New York now that a sexual assault complaint against him in Tallahassee, Fla. [url=http://www.chinajerseyswholesale.us.com/]cheap jerseys from china . Rautins was acquired along with a 2012 second-round draft pick from Washington, while New York got Chandler and the draft rights to Ahmad Nivins and Giorgos Printezis from Dallas. Wholesale NFL Jerseys Free Shipping . Valanciunas averaged 11.4 points, 7.3 rebounds, 1.07 blocks and 27.1 minutes in 15 games in March. He shot .620 from the field and ranked first among Eastern Conference rookies in rebounds, blocks and field goal percentage. BARCELONA, Spain -- Cristiano Ronaldo netted another hat trick in Real Madrids 5-1 win over Real Sociedad on Saturday, as the Portugal forward extended his scoring run to nine goals in his last four games. Ronaldos latest bundle of goals took him three past Atletico Madrids Diego Costa as the leading scorer in the Spanish league with 16 through 13 rounds. Ronaldo also tops the Champions League with eight goals. "(Ronaldo) is playing on another level," Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said. "He scores with such incredible ease. Its tough to find words to describe him." Madrids win pulled it to within two points of Atletico and three points behind league leader Barcelona before they have matches on Sunday. Ronaldo opened the scoring, adding another goal from the penalty spot and a third with a well-placed free kick. Karim Benzema also kept up his good form by scoring while Gareth Bale set up Sami Khedira for a goal. Ronaldo has eight multi-goal performances, including three hat tricks, in 17 matches for Madrid this season. He will hope to keep his streak going when Portugal plays Sweden in a two-leg playoff on Nov. 15 and 19 with only the winner qualifying for the 2014 World Cup. "It will be a very important tie for us," Ronaldo said. "We want to be in the World Cup and we will try our hardest to get there." Elsewhere, Athletic Bilbao rallied past Levante 2-1 to provisionally move even on points with Villarreal in fourth place. Rayo Vallecano won 2-0 at Celta Vigo to escape last place and push Real Betis down into the cellar overnight. Elche, meanwhile, earned a 1-1 draw at Getafe to remain unbeaten in its last four away matches. Sociedad never stood a chance at the Santiago Bernabeu against a Madrid side that kept its attack firing away for a fourth straight game while finally shoring up a defence that had become penalty prone with five whistled against it in the previous three games. Ancelotti promised on Friday that his team would win over the demanding Bernabeu ccrowd by improving its style of play. Cheap Detroit Pistons Jerseys. A day later, the Italian manager called his teams first half "perfect." Tough to argue with that. Ronaldo lashed a shot off the top of the crossbar in the eighth minute in a warning of what was to come. He then made sure not to miss in the 12th when Benzema spotted him switched to the right side of the attack with a floated pass that Ronaldo batted down and blasted by Sociedad goalkeeper Claudio Bravo. Ronaldo returned the favour four minutes later by dribbling down the left flank and squaring for Benzema to volley in his fourth goal in as many games. A stunned Sociedad helped concede the third goal when Ronaldos low shot hit Markel Bergaras arm inside the area. Instead of drilling his spot kick, Ronaldo lured Bravo into diving to one side while he gently placed the ball down the middle. "Too many times we were just looking on," said Antoine Griezmann, who scored Sociedads consolation goal. Bale found Khedira alone on the edge of the box for the midfielders first goal of the campaign in the 36th. Sociedad didnt threaten the hosts area until the 61st when Griezmann ran on to a pass awkwardly headed back by Madrid defender Pepe that he skillfully chipped over goalie Diego Lopez. That gave Griezmann eight goals in the league, drawing the Sociedad forward level with Barcelonas Lionel Messi for the leagues third-leading scorer. The victory was secure but Ronaldo wasnt done and curled a free kick over the barrier in the 76th, as a flat-footed Bravo was turned into a bystander. Bilbaos win over Levante was the fifth time in as many games at its new San Mames Stadium that the Basque club has come from behind to stayed undefeated at home, and Rayo kept Celta winless at home in seven matches at Balaidos Stadium this season. On Sunday, Barcelona visits Betis while Atletico travels to Villarreal. Also, Espanyol hosts Sevilla and Valencia welcomes Valladolid. Granada beat Malaga 3-1 in Friday, when Almeria won 1-0 at Osasuna. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes