Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ink about it that way, and I dont want him to thin...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ink about it that way, and I dont want him to thin

Started by wff0605, 2014/10/20 08:20AM
Latest post: 2014/10/20 08:20AM, Views: 278, Posts: 1
ink about it that way, and I dont want him to thin
#1   2014/10/20 08:20AM
wff0605
PITTSBURGH -- Dan Bylsmas trendy eyeglasses and perfectly tailored suits are part of his understated professional look. Thur... Thomas Jersey . Over the next month, the Pittsburgh Penguins coach might want to consider trading them in for a pair of scientist goggles and a white lab coat as he tries to figure out how to mix together the right elements to lead the franchise to its fourth Stanley Cup. And make no mistake, anything short of a parade in late June through the "City of Champions" will be considered a disappointment after general manager Ray Shero pulled off his own personal hat trick earlier this week. Over the span of four days, the Penguins acquired forwards Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow along with defenceman Doug Murray without touching the roster that has now ripped off 14 straight victories. Now Bylsma has to find a way to upgrade a team that hardly looks as if it needs one. During a news conference hours after landing Iginla, a six-time All-Star, Bylsma used the word "chemistry" more than 10 times while trying to describe ways to create the elusive ingredient required to make a deep playoff run. "Theres a clear message, a clear focus of bringing that (team) together," Bylsma said. Pittsburgh is hardly the first team to make major roster changes before the trade deadline. Hockey history is littered with franchises that went "all in" to capture a title. The 1994 New York Rangers brought in Cup-savvy veterans Stephane Matteau, Glenn Anderson, Brian Noonan and Craig MacTavish late in the season, one that ended with the Rangers winning it all for the first time in 54 years. It helped that the hierarchy in the dressing room was already well established. Captain Mark Messier ran the show and everyone else fell in line. Though Pittsburgh superstar Sidney Crosby and reigning MVP Evgeni Malkin go about their business for the Penguins a little differently than the outspoken Messier, that doesnt mean theres any question about whom the team turns to when its needed. Winnipeg Jets coach Claude Noel got an up-close look during Pittsburghs 4-0 romp on Thursday night, a victory that pulled the Penguins within three games of the NHL record for consecutive wins. Crosby had two assists -- including a ridiculous no-look backhand pass to Chris Kuntiz for the games first goal -- and Malkin scored in his return after missing nine games with an upper-body injury. "Theyre playing with a lot of will and you can see who drives that team," Noel said. "When that happens you watch that team go." Noel, however, was quick to add the Penguins "can be beaten" even though its been more than a month since anyone has been able to do it for a full three periods. Pittsburghs biggest enemy -- other than the pressure that comes with being anointed the Stanley Cup favourite -- may be itself. Crosby knows for every 1994 New York Rangers theres a team that loaded up and nothing happened. The Washington Capitals were sailing to the Presidents Trophy three years ago when they added four players -- including defencemen Joe Corvo and Milan Jurcina -- and were bounced in the first round by Montreal. The St. Louis Blues sent three players and two draft picks to the Los Angeles Kings in 1996 for Wayne Gretzky. The Great One helped the Blues to the playoffs, but they lost to Detroit in the Western Conference semifinals and Gretzky was out the door for New York less than two months later. Crosby, who considers himself a bit of a hockey historian, is well aware of the pitfalls that lay ahead. "I think everyone knows there are a ton of teams that have been (considered the favourite) that havent panned out," Crosby said. "Thats not a team that we want to be." In a way, spending most of the final month of the season on the road will help. Leaving Pittsburgh will allow the newcomers to spend extended periods of time off the ice with their more established teammates, hopefully creating the kind of positive energy that can help overcome bumps in the road. And its not as if the new guys are anonymous. Iginla and Morrow played with Crosby and Pittsburgh goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury on Team Canadas gold medal-winning team in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. In Vancouver, the quartet helped carry a nation. Surely a city cant be that difficult, right? "Those guys have been around a long time and know what it takes," Crosby said. Shero will let Bylsma do the tinkering, but isnt concerned about any bruised egos along the way. "It doesnt matter who you play with (or) how you play," Shero said. "Every player thats here is here for a reason, thats to try and help us win." Bylsma indicated hell keep the trio of Crosby, Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis -- the highest-scoring line in the league -- intact. Its likely Iginla will play on the second line with Malkin and James Neal while Morrow will be teamed with Brandon Sutter and Matt Cooke. At least, thats the plan. Bylsma said there will be times depending on the situation Pittsburgh could have Crosby and Iginla play together and that a variety of combinations will pop up. Regardless of who is on the ice together, the Penguins now have perhaps the most talented roster in the league. It makes them the team to beat, one with a pretty big target on its back. Pittsburgh has won 11 straight at home heading into Saturdays game against the New York Islanders, and New York forward John Tavares sounds as if hes speaking for the entire league when asked for his take on the new-look Penguins. "Obviously, theyre making headlines and theyre really going for it," Tavares said. "Thats what some teams do this time of year, so well be ready for it." NOTES: Iginla is expected to arrive in Pittsburgh on Saturday, but is not expected to be in the lineup. He could make his Penguins debut on Tuesday against Buffalo ... Fleury practiced on Friday, but Bylsma wouldnt elaborate on his availability. Fleury suffered a minor upper body injury in a win over Montreal on Tuesday and was scratched for Thursdays game against the Jets ... Defenceman Paul Martin did not practice Friday due to an upper-body injury. An... Gates Jersey . Alex Basso had four assists as the Sarnia Sting beat the London Knights 4-3 in Ontario Hockey League action Sunday afternoon. wholesale nfl jerseys . Bringing his multifaceted game to a new audience in England, Forte ran for 145 yards and a touchdown, and the Bears held on to beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-18 on Sunday in the fifth annual NFL regular-season game at Wembley Stadium. ... . This is the second year the tournament is part of the official European Tour schedule. It was scheduled for Dec. 12-15 at Mount Edgecombe Country Club. The European Tour and Sunshine Tour say it now will start Wednesday and end Saturday. [url=http://www.cheapnfljerseysdeals.com/]Cheap Jerseys From China . The 35-year-old said he will retire after the Montreal Impact plays their final regular season game on Saturday against the New England Revolution. wholesale nfl jerseys .500 for the first time this season, beating the Ottawa Senators 2-1 Saturday afternoon. Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds scored for the Flyers, who fought past a lethargic start to win their second game in a row, and fifth of seven. MILWAUKEE -- One day after his worst outing in a difficult season, Canadian John Axford lost his job as the Milwaukee Brewers closer. Manager Ron Roenicke said before Tuesday nights game against St. Louis that Francisco Rodriguez will be handling ninth-inning duties while Axford, from Simcoe, Ont., tries to get his confidence back in lower-pressure situations. "Its always difficult when youre talking about a guy that we feel the way we do about Ax," Roenicke said. "We still remember what he did last year for us. So yeah, its always hard to do. But it is the right thing to do, so I didnt feel bad about doing it. I felt good about doing it, because I feel like this is the best way to get him back." Handed a two-run lead against the Cardinals on Monday night, Axford allowed three runs in the ninth inning and the Brewers lost 3-2. Axford has 16 saves in 22 chances this season, struggling to find the dominant form he showed in 2011. "It was a decision I kind of expected after yesterday, yesterdays performance," Axford said. "Its frustrating the way things have been going this year, so maybe itll be a breath of fresh air to step back a little bit, try and get back into the swing of things the way I was last year." Axford said he wasnt surprised by the decision and didnt try to talk Roenicke out of it because he wanted to put the team first. And Axford acknowledged that his recent struggles have shaken his confidence. "Id be lying if I said it was the same as its always been," Axford said. "Today was actually one of the rougher days Ive ever had. Generally, Im pretty good about letting go after blown saves or losses or anything like that. But yesterday, just because I couldnt feel anything -- I literally, as I told (pitching coach Rick) Kranitz, it literally seemed like I was pittching with new mechanics and never threw a curveball before. Robert Woods Jersey. ." Axford played a critical role in the Brewers run to the NL championship series last season, saving 46 games in 48 chances. Axford had 49 consecutive saves between April 24, 2011 and May 4, 2012 -- the fourth-longest streak in history. But Axford has struggled since then, and his control issues were at their worst in Monday nights meltdown. "He was at a point where he was really frustrated," Roenicke said. "He said that was the worst he has felt on the mound as far as having a feeling where the balls going. With the fastball or the breaking ball, he had no idea where it was going." Rodriguez, who has 292 career saves, has been primarily an eighth-inning setup man since coming to the Brewers in a trade last season. He is 2-4 with a 3.67 ERA this season with one save -- April 10 at Chicago. He has not allowed a run in his past five appearances. Roenicke said Rodriguezs fastball has been "really good," while hes still trying to throw his slider as consistently as he has in the past. And Rodriguez knows how to close. "Its certainly what he wants to do," Roenicke said. "And he is -- hes a closer. Hes a great closer. I think Frankies such a professional that whether I have him setting up or whether I have him closing, he knows how important he is to our team to win." While the Brewers scramble to try to get back into contention, Roenicke doesnt want Axford to be seen as a scapegoat. "I didnt think about it that way, and I dont want him to think about it that way," Roenicke said. "Because hes not. Thats not all thats going on with us. Weve been inconsistent with every phase of the game. So its a little part of it we need to fix, and weve got a great guy to try to fix it with." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes