Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

lt, in the final event of th - Off Topic Forum. -...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

lt, in the final event of th

Started by a123456, 2013/07/19 04:46AM
Latest post: 2013/07/19 04:46AM, Views: 444, Posts: 1
lt, in the final event of th
#1   2013/07/19 04:46AM
a123456
LONDON -- Chelsea came through its sternest test of the season to stay top of the English Premier League, beating Arsenal 2-1 on Saturday to open up a three-point lead after Manchester United lost at home to Tottenham for the first time in 23 years. . Spurs 3-2 win in a thrilling match at Old Trafford saw United drop to third place and level on points with defending champion Manchester City, which needed a late goal by Edin Dzeko to grab a 2-1 victory at Fulham. Everton is the nearest challenger to Chelsea following its 3-1 come-from-behind win over Southampton and Liverpool completed a good day for Merseyside by earning its first league triumph of the season, Luis Suarez scoring a hat trick in a 5-2 thrashing of Norwich. Unbeaten Chelseas fifth win in six games was secured by goals from Fernando Torres and Juan Mata and a strong rearguard display from a defence featuring John Terry, two days after he received a four-match ban for on-pitch racial abuse. "It was a big challenge to play against a quality side like Arsenal," Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo said of opponents who were unbeaten heading into the match at Emirates Stadium. "We were excellent. We didnt just come and sit back, we took the initiative." On a day of 29 goals -- the most in a single day in the English top flight since February -- five came in the United-Spurs match, with United States forward Clint Dempsey scoring what proved to be the winner in the 52nd to pounce on a sloppy performance from United. "It was a roller-coaster, up and down," said Dempsey, whose first goal for Spurs earned the team a third straight win and left it in fifth place -- a point behind the Manchester clubs. "We found ourselves 2-0 up and then in the second half, it seemed we were chasing shadows ... But we ground out a result and showed a lot of character." Jan Vertonghen and Gareth Bale made the most of Uniteds sluggish start with goals in the opening 32 minutes, before Nani and Shinji Kagawa sandwiched Dempseys strike in a crazy spell of three goals in less than three minutes. Tottenham survived a number of good penalty shouts and late chances by United for a first win over Sir Alex Fergusons side in 11 years. "It was quite a game," Ferguson said. "The first half we never started, didnt get into the game. From there we were just playing against the wind." After two straight draws and having seen Chelsea win at Emirates Stadium in the early kickoff, the pressure was on City to get back to winning ways and revive its title charge. However, Mladen Petric put Fulham ahead in the 10th minute from the penalty spot and it needed a first goal of the season from Sergio Aguero -- playing up front with Argentina teammate Carlos Tevez -- to haul City back level in the 43rd. Dzeko was thrown on in the 85th as City poured forward in search of a winner and he grabbed it within 70 seconds, slamming home after a cross from Gael Clichy was poorly cleared. "I was worried because we continued to play well and continued to create chances, but didnt score (the winner) for 87 minutes," City manager Roberto Mancini said. Suarezs second hat trick at Carrow Road in successive seasons helped Liverpool end a five-match winless run in the clubs worst start to a season in more than a century. "Im not surprised because in a lot of our games we have played very well and created a host of chances. Its just our conversion rate has not been as good," said Brendan Rodgers, celebrating his first league win as Liverpool manager. "But today we were fantastic. "This was another masterclass in finishing (from Suarez) ... it was a special day for him and the team." Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard scored Liverpools other goals. Everton, which is a notoriously slow starter to league seasons, has won four of its opening six matches after Nikica Jelavic scored twice at Goodison Park to hand Southampton a fifth loss. "Id like to be in there in the mix during the season but I dont think Manchester United and Manchester City will be worried to see Everton there at this time of the year," Everton manager David Moyes said. Peter Crouch, making his 500th league appearance, also scored a brace in Stokes 2-0 win at home to Swansea, which has lost three in a row after its impressive start. Sunderland beat 10-man Wigan 1-0 for a first win of the campaign, Steven Fletcher grabbing the winner soon after Jordi Gomez was sent off. Demba Ba equalized twice for Newcastle in a 2-2 draw at Reading where all the goals came in an entertaining second half. Ba appeared to use his arm in scoring his second, which denied Reading a first victory since being promoted. Terry shrugged off jeers from Arsenal fans to deliver a composed display for Chelsea and received a rapturous welcome from the jubilant travelling support after the match, slapping the badge on his jersey. The centre back was available while he contemplates whether to appeal the suspension for making a racial slur at Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand in a league match last year. Terry lost Gervinho for Arsenals equalizer in the 42nd but hardly put a foot wrong otherwise. "It was the right choice to pick him today," Di Matteo said. "John showed his leadership qualities and what a good defender he is for the team." The loss ended Arsenals unbeaten start and saw the teams defensive vulnerability resurface, with centre back Laurent Koscielny at fault for both goals from Matas set pieces. "Defensively, we were just not at the level you have to be in a game like that, which is where we were punished today," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-elvis-dumervil-jersey-eg... Dumervil Ravens Jersey . The 23-year-old American, who tied a course record, was making his first start on the tour and finished at 14 under for the week, three shots up on Brazils Lucas Lee and Victorias Cory Renfrew. .Y. - Chris Kreider is six games into his NHL career and days shy of his 21st birthday. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-ray-rice-jersey-rw-92.ht... .ca Play of the Year Showdown. The best plays of this past season have been archived and the matchups have been set. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-jacoby-jones-jersey-mg-8... Jones Jersey . Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney -- Uniteds in-form strike partnership -- teamed up to preserve Uniteds six-point lead, both scoring at Old Trafford to add to a sublime strike by midfielder Tom Cleverley. City recovered from its agonizing derby loss to United last weekend by winning at St. . Roddick beat Gilles Muller of Luxembourg 1-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2 to win the Atlanta Open and earn his 32nd ATP World Tour title on Sunday.CAREZZA, Italy -- Caroline Calve seems to like the World Cup parallel giant slalom snowboard course at Carezza. The 34-year-old from Lachine Que., who won her only World Cup event at the Italian ski resort exactly one year ago, added a silver medal Friday. She was the only Canadian to stand on the podium. After qualifying fourth -- the only Canadian woman to qualify -- Calve beat Patricia Kummer of Switzerland, Claudia Riegler of Austria and Stefanie Mueller of Switzerland before losing in the gold medal final to Tomoka Takeuchi of Japan. It was Takeuchis first career World Cup win. On the mens side, Matthew Morrison of Blackstock, Ont., was the only Canadian to reach the final, finishing ninth overall after losing to Benjamin Karl of Austria in the first run of the final bracket. Andreas Prommegger of Austria won the event with countryman Lukas Mathies second and Vic Wild of Russia third. Nine other Canadian men and women failed to advance out of qualifying, including 2010 Olympic gold medallist and seven-time World Cup Crystal Globe champion Jasey-Jay Anderson of Lac-Superieur, Que. "Its bittersweet today," said Calve, a seven-year national team veteran. "Obviously Im super stoked to be on the podium again. Thats a perfect start to the season. But I know that I could have won it if I didnt fall. But you know its who stands up lasts the longest." In the first run of the final Calve made what coach Mark Ballard called a "t;little mistake," but it caused her to fall and cost her a 1. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-ed-dickson-jersey-yt-99.... Dickson Jersey. second penalty for the second run. She was unable to make up that time. "It was a technical mistake," Calve said. "I inclined too much on a turn. It was the end of the day and the snow was pretty chewed up." Calve, whose victory last year was the first ever for a Canadian woman on the World Cup snowboard alpine circuit, had perhaps her best run in the fourth round against Mueller. She made one of her few mistakes and fell, but somehow managed to recover and still overtake and beat Mueller. "I crashed on the pitch, but it was at the right spot so I was able to get right back up," she said. "I was able to use the bottom of the pitch (to regain speed) and I still had enough of the hill to catch her. I know Im good on the flats so thought I just had to make it through the pitch and then give it in the transitions and flats." After her victory last year, Calve could manage only one more top eight result, in the final event of the season. She said that is not likely to happen again. "Im not the same person I was before," she said. "I worked hard all summer... with sports therapists and trainers. There were some moments of doubt today but I didnt let it bother me. Mentally I was in a perfect state. I know what Im capable of and just reminded myself that I didnt need to do more than I am capable of." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes