Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

nberg before giving the puck to Versteeg, who scor...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

nberg before giving the puck to Versteeg, who scored his first of the

Started by wff0605, 2014/08/20 04:44AM
Latest post: 2014/08/20 04:44AM, Views: 272, Posts: 1
nberg before giving the puck to Versteeg, who scored his first of the
#1   2014/08/20 04:44AM
wff0605
TORONTO -- For a team that sees itself as a playoff contender, July is no time for moral victories. wholesale jerseys . Toronto ace Ricky Romero continued to round into form Friday, but the Blue Jays bats fell silent for a second consecutive start with their star pitcher on the mound as the Cleveland Indians posted a 1-0 shutout victory. Romero, who lost 2-0 to Chicago last Saturday, has dropped four straight starts as Toronto once again finds itself under .500 at 43-44. "If we want to make the playoffs (its all about team victories). Were not here for personal stats. Our goal since spring training has been to get into the playoffs and everything else will dictate from there," said Romero, who battled for six innings, allowing six hits and two walks while striking out six to drop to 8-5 on the season. "You go through your ups and your downs in this game and youve got to be mentally strong and I feel like Im doing the best I can," he said. "I know Ill continue to get better and lead this team in the right direction." Travis Hafners solo shot in the second inning was all the offence Cleveland (45-41) needed behind a strong outing from Justin Masterson, who gave up just five singles while striking out five and surrendering one walk in the first game for both clubs after the all-star break. Vinnie Pestano pitched a perfect eighth for Cleveland, while Chris Perez did the same in the ninth to pick up his 25th save. The Cleveland closer struck out Edwin Encarnacion swinging for the final out, a day after the Toronto first baseman signed a three-year, US$27-million contract extension. "They threw the ball exceptionally well against us tonight," said Blue Jays manager John Farrell, whose team is in the mix in the American League wildcard race but will need to string some wins together to stay in the hunt. "I thought Ricky pitched a good game, as did every guy that came out of the bullpen tonight. A 1-0 loss is tough to take but in the end were a swing of the bat away from tying it up." Romero, who came in with the third best run support among American League starters, has now gone 13 innings dating back to July 2 without the Blue Jays providing him any offence. "You have top tip your hat off to (Masterson). He threw a hell of a game. Kept us off balance all night and for me its not about personal (wins)," said Romero. "Obviously you want to get off on the right note (after the all-star break) in the win column. "One bad pitch. Again. Just hung a curveball to Hafner and he took advantage of it." Romero got out of trouble in the fourth when Carlos Santana walked with one out and Michael Brantley doubled to put runners at second and third. But the left-hander struck out Lou Marson swinging and got Johnny Damon to ground out to short. The Blue Jays finally got a runner into scoring position in the fifth when Yunel Escobar got to first on an infield single and moved to second on a wild pitch. He would get no further, though, as Masterson (6-8) induced a weak grounder to second off the bat of Kelly Johnson. Masterson, who suffered a 10-3 loss to Tampa Bay last time out when he surrendered eight earned runs in 4 1-3 innings, said he took time away from the game during the all-star break. "It was kind of a blessing to be back out there on the mound again," he said. "I dont think I thought about baseball at all. I maybe caught a hair of some of the all-star festivities but it was just nice to relax, just sit back and kind of do your own thing. "I had a nice date night with my wife, ate at a little Italian restaurant. It was cool." Romero was in more trouble in the sixth, putting runners on first and second, but he fielded a soft Marson ground in front of home himself and threw to first to escape unscathed. Toronto put just its second runner at second in the bottom of the inning when J.P. Arencibia singled and advanced on a fielders choice. But again Masterson had an answer, getting Colby Rasmus to ground out. The Indians got a runner to third in the seventh, but Jason Frasor, on in relief of Romero, got Asdrubal Cabrera to pop out after an eight-pitch at-bat for the third out. The Blue Jays again threatened in the seventh when Encarnacion walked and Adam Lind walked, but Masterson struck out Escobar and got Johnson to ground into a force out. "Anytime you lose its frustrating, whether you lose 10-0 or 1-0. Ive always said Im a sore loser," said Romero. "I hate losing and were here to win. We just ran into a good pitcher tonight and he did what he had to do and it was a well-played game by both sides." Notes: The Blue Jays added LHP Aaron Loup to the roster. He replaces LHP Luis Perez, who is done for the season and was placed on the 60-day disabled list retroactive to July 9 with a torn ligament in his pitching elbow. ... Encarnacions new contract includes a team option worth $10 million for the 2016 season. ... Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie returned to the starting lineup after missing Sundays game with lower back tightness. ... Injured Blue Jays starter Brandon Morrow threw his first bullpen session since straining his left oblique muscle last month. The right-hander didnt experience any pain Friday, but Farrell said Morrow is still a long way off from returning to the rotation. ... Attendance at Rogers Centre was 32,308. ... Torontos last 1-0 home loss came June 23, 2010, against St. Louis. ... Jose Bautista, who finished second in the Home Run Derby at the all-star game, finished the night 0-for-4. ... Encarnacion wound up 0-for-3 with a walk. cheap nfl jerseys .J. Allmendinger this week to discuss his future with the team. Speaking to reporters at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway before Sundays Brickyard 400, Penske acknowledged that there were no guarantees Allmendinger would get his ride in the No. wholesale nfl jerseys .ca. Hi Kerry, I enjoy reading your column - hope you keep it up! In the final seconds of the third period of the Winnipeg/Montreal game, Brendan Gallagher looked like he was attempting to get back on-side. http://www.chinajerseyscheap.us.com/[/... . "Theres no reason to think that I wont play on Sunday," Vick said. "Ive had two good days of practice. Im optimistic Ill be able to go out there and very excited to play." Eagles coach Andy Reid said that barring a setback, Vick will start against the team that has lost to Philadelphia six straight times. [url=http://www.nflchinacheapjerseysstore.com/]nfl jerseys china . Spurs are two points ahead of their north London rivals, who play their game in hand against Wigan on Tuesday, after Adebayor tapped in Clint Dempseys low cross in the 83rd minute. Dempsey had equalized for Tottenham at Britannia Stadium in the 20th after Steven Nzonzi opened the scoring in the third minute for Stoke, which is still not mathematically safe from relegation. cheap jerseys . Off-Season Game Plan looks at an obviously talented Canucks team that GM Mike Gillis will presumably want to keep intact as much as possible heading into next season.BOSTON -- No collapse for the Boston Bruins this time. Not even close. And for the Philadelphia Flyers, no chance to return to the Stanley Cup finals. Milan Lucic scored his first two goals of the playoffs, Johnny Boychuk got the go-ahead score, and the Bruins completed a sweep of the Eastern Conference semifinal series with a 5-1 win over the Flyers on Friday night. In this same round against the same team last May, the Bruins became just the third NHL team to lose a series after winning the first three games. Boston even held a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7 before the Flyers rallied again for a 4-3 victory. "I think we learned a lot from last year, that experience, and I think it made us a more determined hockey club," Lucic said. "We can definitely put everything behind us with what happened last year. So its a real good feeling." The Flyers went on to the finals where they lost in six games, the clincher for the Chicago Blackhawks coming on an overtime goal. This year, the Bruins outscored Philadelphia 20-7 in the one-sided series. "Its disappointing whenever you end the season on a loss," Philadelphia captain Mike Richards said. "Its a slippery slope when you stop playing your brand of hockey." When it was over -- after empty-net goals by Brad Marchand and Daniel Paille boosted the volume on the fans cheers -- Boychuk embraced goalie Tim Thomas in front of the Bruins net. "The puck came to me and it was kind of rolling and I just tried to put it on net and it went in," said Boychuk, who gave Boston a 2-1 lead on a 50-foot slap shot at 2:42 of the third period. "Thats about it." Nothing special. Except that the win put the Bruins in the conference finals for the first time since 1992. "Regardless of the two goals, this win is a huge win for our hockey club and our organization," Lucic said. Lucic scored a power-play goal at 12:02 of the first period before Kris Versteeg lifted Philadelphia into a 1-1 tie at 13:22 of the second. After Boychuks goal, Lucic connected again at 15:03. "Im not going to say the better team won, but the team that was playing better is moving on," Flyers defenceman Sean ODonnell said. The Bruins will have home-ice advantage against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Philadelphia was swept 4-0 for the first time since losing to Detroit in the 1997 Stanley Cup finals. Boston has won eight of nine games and is aiming for its first Stanley Cup title since 1972. Tampa Bay won it all in 2004. The Bruins began rolling after losing the first two games of their first-round series at home to Montreal. They won the next three games, lost Game 6, and advanced with an overtime win in Boston in Game 7. Their offence took off against the Flyers. The Bruins won the opener in Philadelphia 7-3, then took the second game 3-2 in overtime before returning home for a 5-1 win on Wednnesday night. jerseys from china. "They took it to us right from the start," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "My first reaction is that we got beat by a better team in this series. They deserve to be moving on." Now, with Vezina Trophy finalist Thomas performing brilliantly, the Bruins have reached the round that eluded them last year. But nine of the 20 players who suited up for them on Friday, including Thomas, didnt play in the four losses to Philadelphia in 2010. "You hear all the talk about what happened last year and you have to ignore it to be able to do what we just did," Thomas said. "Im glad that its done with because the longer that series would have went, the more talk about last year." Boychuks game-winner was his second goal of the playoffs. The defenceman got the puck after a faceoff in the left circle and quickly fired a hard shot from just in front of the right point to the near side that Sergei Bobrovsky couldnt grab with his glove. Bobrovsky, who started Game 1 of the series, got the start again with the season on the line. He replaced Brian Boucher, who had been ineffective in the other losses. Bobrovsky "gave us an opportunity to win the game," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said. "It was 1-1 in the third period." The Bruins had taken their 1-0 lead on the goal by Lucic, who scored a team-high 30 goals in the regular season. David Krejci sent a pass from the left circle to Nathan Horton at the left corner of the crease. Horton quickly fed Lucic on the other edge of the crease for an easy goal, his first score of the playoffs, into the open side of the net. It was Bostons second goal in three power plays after going scoreless on its first 31 in the post-season. The Flyers tied it when Versteeg went in alone and beat Thomas after Richards stole a pass by Marchand. Boston had been the aggressor with an 18-9 advantage in shots midway through the second period. But Versteegs goal seemed to energize Philadelphia, although the Flyers had a tough time capitalizing after committing two penalties in the last 3:05 of the period. The Bruins were putting pressure on the Flyers when Marchand tried to pass across the ice from near the right point. Instead, he put the puck right on Richards stick. Richards skated slightly ahead of Boston defenceman Dennis Seidenberg before giving the puck to Versteeg, who scored his first of the playoffs. Notes: Patrice Bergeron, one of Bostons top players in these playoffs, didnt return after being hit by Claude Giroux just before Boychuks goal. Bruins coach Claude Julien didnt have an update on his condition. ... Philadelphia was without D Chris Pronger for the third straight game because of a hand injury. ... Boston D Adam McQuaid missed his second consecutive game with a sprained neck after crashing into the boards headfirst in Game 2. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes