Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

s in attendance at that game were cheering for the...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

s in attendance at that game were cheering for the visiting Detro

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/31 12:15AM
Latest post: 2014/07/31 12:15AM, Views: 227, Posts: 1
s in attendance at that game were cheering for the visiting Detro
#1   2014/07/31 12:15AM
wff0605
CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Drew Hutchison gave up one hit in 5 1-3 scoreless innings and led the Toronto Blue Jays past the Philadelphia Phillies 3-0 on Thursday. Hutchison is scheduled to start Torontos second regular season game against the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday. He allowed a single to Jimmy Rollins in the fourth, walked three and struck out three. The right-hander beat out several candidates, including Todd Redmond, Esmil Rogers and Ricky Romero, for a spot in the rotation. He was 5-3 with a 4.60 ERA in 11 starts as a rookie last season. "I battled today," Hutchison said. "I wasnt really crisp. I got behind way too much, actually. But on days like that, I can come back and make good pitches, its a good sign." Dioner Navarro hit a sacrifice fly off Phillies starter A.J. Burnett in the fourth. Gabe Jacobo added a two-run single in the eighth. Burnett gave up three hits with one walk and six strikeouts in five innings. The right-hander signed a two-year, $22.5 million deal with Philadelphia in February after spending the last two seasons with Pittsburgh. HAMELS PITCHES Phillies starter Cole Hamels (left shoulder inflammation) pitched two innings in a minor league game, his first outing of the spring. The left-hander said he felt well after recording nine outs and throwing 20 of 30 pitches for strikes against Pittsburghs Triple-A players. "Im really pleased and really confident, and what Im able to do now is to truly get spring training in," Hamels said. "Obviously its a little late, but I feel healthy and I think thats really the key." Hamels plans to join the Phillies in Arlington for their season opener against the Rangers on Monday before returning to the teams training complex in Clearwater to continue his rehab. STARTING TIME Blue Jays: Hutchison said despite close competition, he never doubted his chances to make the rotation and is prepared to show he belongs. "For me, I expected to make the team," Hutchison said. "This is not anything (surprising). I expected to make the team and now Im ready to go perform." TRAINERS ROOM Phillies: Outfielder Domonic Brown was held out of the game because of lingering flu-like symptoms. Manager Ryne Sandberg expects the 2013 All-Star to play on Friday against Pittsburgh. Blue Jays: Shortstop Jose Reyes missed his fifth straight game with left hamstring tightness. He is expected to play on Friday against the New York Mets in Montreal. First baseman Edwin Encarnacion said he feels better, but was given the day off after being hit by a pitch on his right forearm Wednesday against the Yankees. ABREU RELEASED The Phillies released outfielder Bobby Abreu on Thursday to allow the 40-year-old to explore an opportunity with another team. Philadelphias decision to part ways with Abreu came one day after the 17-year veteran was informed by the organization that he would not make the 25-man opening day roster. In 17 games this spring, Abreu batted .244 with two RBIs and 10 walks, but struggled defensively. "We just felt like at this stage of the game, he wouldnt be a fit for us," general manager Ruben Amaro said. "It was a tough decision. Not just because of how it affects our roster, but also as a person. Bobby is a great guy. He really made an effort to make this team. It obviously was a goal of his. We decided he wasnt prepared to do that to help us at this time." Abreu signed a minor league deal in January with the hope of returning to the majors for the first time since 2012 when he appeared in 100 games with the Angels and Dodgers. cheap jerseys from china . -- The San Jose Sharks have re-signed defenceman Justin Braun and forwards Tommy Wingels and Andrew Desjardins. Cheap Authentic Jerseys . Jimenez returned to Houston on Friday night in a different uniform, but the result was the same. Shin-Soo Choo hit a leadoff triple and Michael Brantley drove in a run late to back up a strong start by Jimenez and the Cleveland Indians got a 2-0 win over the Astros Jimenez (7-5) allowed four hits with eight strikeouts in 6 2-3 innings to improve to 4-0 with a 1. http://www.cheapauthenticjerseys... . The former AL MVP and three-time batting champion sprained his right thumb and left the Twins 5-3 win over the Cleveland Indians on Sunday, Minnesotas fifth victory in six games following a five-game losing streak. [url=http://www.cheapauthenticjerseyschina.net/]wholesale nfl jerseys . The 29-year-old Scott started 14 games and three playoff games during his two seasons with the Steelers. cheap nfl jerseys . -- Even when others were suggesting he drop his case and accept his punishment, Richard Sherman never strayed from his steadfast belief that his four-game suspension would be overturned.Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca! Hey Kerry, With Sid The Kid back tonight, did you ever ref a game thats had this much anticipation (a players return, etc.)? Im sure Sid, the Penguins and even the Isles are a bit nervous tonight, but how would you think the officials feel? Kenrick,Vancouver Kenrick: The entire hockey world has sat on the sidelines in hopeful anticipation of Sidney Crosbys long awaited return to action. Selfishly, we have held our breath in fear that we might never see this great player perform on NHL ice after suffering the devastation of post-concussion syndrome. Personally, I applaud Sidney and his handlers for delaying any return to action until they were confident that the healing process was complete. Finally, hes back. The breath holding will continue however every time that Sidney goes into a hard area on the ice or absorbs a body check. Is this young man just one hit away from the end of a glorious career such as Marc Savard and others experienced? Questions abound as to how his opponents are going to play against him? I dont think there is one player within the game that wants to be known as the guy that ended Sidney Crosbys career. I saw that kind of fear in the eyes of Scott Stevens in Game 7 of the 2000 Eastern Conference Final when he laid out Eric Lindros with a head rattling hit as Eric crossed the blue line with his head down. Sidney too, will be hit as I dont expect his opponents to take a "softer" approach in the way they play against him - after all, this superstar is a game-breaker that can make people look bad even when they check Sid closely. I anticipate the special attention befitting his superstar status will continue. We can only hope that any form of body contact will be clean and within the rules. More importantly we hope that his body (and brain) will sustain the impact. You can bet that Sidney Crosbys teammates will be quick to shield their captain and respond to any liberties opponents might consider taking. The referees will also be on high alert and have their radar dialed up whenever No. 87 steps over the boards. The refs will naturally feel some added pressure to make sure nothing is missed. Kenrick, I think "excitement" is the emotion to best describe what players, officials and fans alike will feel upon Sid The Kids return tonight as opposed to nervousness. Adrenalin will be flowing through Sidneys veins that will spill over and create positive energy felt by all game participants. There will be a buzz in the Pittsburgh arena tonight that will give new meaning to the CONSOL Energy Center naming rights. There have been several games over the years that have been much anticipated. I dont believe any have captured the attention of the hockey world such as Sidney Crosbys return tonight. The Sidney Watch has been going on for over 10 months as he struggled with concussion like symptoms. The game will be rewarded with his return tonight. As I drove with my NHL Old-Timers Tour colleagues in the van this morning from Medicine Hat to Lethbridge, Alberta for a charity game tonight, I posed your question to them Kenrick. We shared individual stories of games that reminded each of us (to some degree at least) of what will take place tonight in Pittsburgh. I refereed Eric Lindros first game in the NHL after a one year delay to the start of his 13 season NHL career after being selected first overall pick by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1991 Draft. The Big E refused to play in the NHL until a trade could be arranged by Quebec.dddddddddddd Philadelphia won the Lindros sweepstakes and the hockey world watched with much anticipation as the player tagged The Next One stepped on NHL ice for his first game. My father even flew in from Canada to watch Lindros in this first game. Even though it was just a pre-season game, the long awaited day had finally arrived. What made the game even more interesting was the fact that the Flyers opponents in the Spectrum that night were the same Quebec Nordiques that Eric refused to play for. Theo Fleury felt the emotion that Sidney will experience tonight as he attempted to make a comeback with Calgary Flames in 2009 after a six-year absence from the NHL. His first exhibition game in Calgary is something he remembers to this day. Always a fan favourite in Calgary this little guy with the gifted scoring touch and hear of a lion received a standing ovation upon his return that night and was cheered each time he touched the puck. Theo would save his best for when it counted the most. With the score tied in overtime and the Flames on the power play Olli Jokinen appeared to score the game winning goal just as the horn sound and no time left on the clock. The goal didnt count so a shootout would be needed to determine the outcome. Theo told us, "Their first two guys missed I was second shooter for us. I went in and scored and the place went absolutely nuts. I thought the roof was about to come off the Saddledome. My goal in the shootout won the game for us. My wife told me she saw grown men crying in their seats. When youve played in lots of big games the emotion, the adrenalin takes over. It was like I was skating in slow motion." We work out our whole life to play every day. When you cant or its taken from you like Sidney has experienced, it gets very frustrating. Sid was born to do this. I know exactly how he will feel tonight and I believe he will be the best player on the ice." Theo Fleury, Billy Smith and Jimmy Mann both mentioned Mario Lemieuxs comeback game against the Leafs on December 27, 2000 to end his 3 1/2 year retirement along with Wayne Gretzkys first game back in Edmonton following his trade to the Los Angeles Kings as much anticipated returns. Even though Ron Duguay was still a couple of years away from becoming the New York Rangers top draft pick (13th overall) in 1977, Ron, as a Rangers television broadcast analyst, still hears about the night that Eddie Giacomin returned to Madison Square Garden for the first time after being claimed off waivers on Oct. 29, 1975 by the Detroit Red Wings. Ranger fans didnt have to wait long in anticipation of Eddie Giacomins return to Madison Square Garden ice. Two days later the Red Wings played at MSG and Giacomin made his debut in goal for his new team. Ron Duguay said that Eddie Giacomin was so beloved by Ranger fans that he received the longest standing ovation ever by the Ranger faithful. They were also so angered by the move that the majority of the fans in attendance at that game were cheering for the visiting Detroit Red Wings. Duguay went on to say that tears were evident streaming down the cheeks of Eddie Giacomin with the ovation and chants throughout the entire game of, "E-D-D-I-E, E-D-D-I-E!" In Pittsburgh, around the NHL and throughout the entire hockey community I believe there will be the odd tear of joy shed for Sidney Crosbys return. Not only is Sid, "The Face of The Game," but as Theo stated best, "Sid was born to do this." Stay safe, my friend. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes