Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

yer to hit 15 homers for the Nationals, most in fr...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

yer to hit 15 homers for the Nationals, most in franchise history.

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/31 12:15AM
Latest post: 2014/07/31 12:15AM, Views: 204, Posts: 1
yer to hit 15 homers for the Nationals, most in franchise history.
#1   2014/07/31 12:15AM
wff0605
TORONTO – Stretching out to six feet, five inches, Jussi Rynnas is a long and wiry presence. But the third-year Marlies goaltender is anxious to impose a more commanding presence in the net, a facet of his game engineered in concert with the organizations new goalie coach Rick St. Croix. "Me and Rick think it maybe challenges a little bit more the [opponent] and makes us a little bit more bigger," said Rynnas, demonstrating the achieved effect by raising his shoulders and arms higher than theyd normally sit. The 24-year-old is one-third of the goaltending stable with the Marlies, a flock that includes presumed preseason number one Ben Scrivens and a fleeting riser within the organization, 23-year-old Mark Owuya. Of the trio, its Rynnas, a free agent signing from Finland, whos raced out to impressive early reviews, posting three wins in four starts with a hearty .938 save percentage. Following a shutout in his debut this season, he declared without malice a singular goal of claiming the top job over his equally qualified counterparts. So far, hes charting such a course. The three-goalie entanglement is neither ideal nor effective for development – the weekend-themed AHL schedule makes playing time potentially sparse – but a reality forced by the ongoing NHL lockout and lacking ECHL affiliate for the Leafs organization. Perhaps the only desirable effect the quandary has had is to raise the bar of competition in the Toronto crease. "You know if you had a bad day theres always two guys taking your spot right away," said Rynnas, who has two shutouts already this season. "Of course, its not the best situation, but its pushing you to keep you pretty sharp all the time because every practice is almost like tryouts. You have to be really sharp every single day." Nicknamed "the bus" by Leafs president and GM Brian Burke upon his landing in Toronto – a distinction his teammates were unaware of – Rynnas had inconsistent results as a sophomore in North America last season, bouncing between the American League and East Coast League with the Marlies former affiliate in Reading. With late-season injuries at the NHL level, Rynnas also saw unexpected action in two games with the Leafs, yielding seven goals in a last-minute debut that saw expected starter Jonas Gustavsson felled by injury in the pre-game warmup. The organizational pecking order beyond annointed Leafs number one James Reimer has muddled somewhat early in the Marlies season. Scrivens was number two with a bullet before the year started, a legitimate dark-horse to steal starts from Reimer whenever the NHL work stoppage finally did lift. The 26-year-old has stumbled out of the gate however – hes allowed three goals or more in five of seven starts – clouding the depth chart while opening up further opportunity to Rynnas and Owuya with the former breaking out in front. "Of course I want to play more," said Rynnas, second to Scrivens with four starts, "but I get a couple wins and right now I feel pretty good for my game so I just try to keep [going] the same way." Now the former Leaf goaltending coach, Francois Allaire, was very much a part of the decision that saw Rynnas sign with the organization in the spring of 2010. Well known for his work and affinity for big goaltenders like Rynnas, the three-time Stanley Cup-winning coach left the Leafs unceremoniously this past summer, replaced by St. Croix, who had coached Ed Belfour to a Stanley Cup in Dallas. "I like him really much," said Rynnas of the Kenora, Ontario native. "Hes [a] pretty easy-going guy. He has some new ideas too. I think we have really good chemistry with Rick. Hes helping me improve my game…so Im pretty happy with Rick right now." The two goalie coaches are a contrast in approach. Allaire "had his own style" and aimed to mold his goalies around that prototype, whereas "Rick is more like whatever you feel like guy". With long legs for example, Rynnas often struggled to hug the posts in frozen form as Allaire required, a decree that has now fallen by the wayside under St. Croix. Hes encouraged instead a return to instincts, whatever formula necessary to make the save. "Maybe Rick believes little bit more you can play what you feel like," said Rynnas. While he works closely with St. Croix, Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins does not have a "set of rules" to manage playing time for Rynnas and the other two goaltenders, instead "going with what I see and with my gut and with our schedule". Pedigree wont play much of a factor. Scrivens led the Marlies to an appearance in the Calder Cup final last spring, but has faltered early on and according to Eakins recently is "officially in a fight for the net". Rynnas has an early and very slight lead, well aware of how quickly that dynamic can shift. "Its a big challenge in the mental side too," he noted of the unorthodox three-goaltender system. "Theres going to be times when youre not going to get games in a couple weeks and you have to still be ready [with] the next chance. When you get a chance you cant be [frustrated] and let easy goals [in], you have to be sharp all the time. "Theres no day off." cheap nfl jerseys . The Pittsburgh Penguins star was pleased after going through another trouble-free practice Monday, a day after taking part in a scrimmage in which hits were banned. wholesale nfl jerseys . Trimming 13 players to get the roster set by Wednesday morning is one thing, but question marks surrounding two high-profile forwards carrying injuries further muddies the picture for the head coach. http://www.cheapjerseyfromchina.us.... . Portland extended its longest winning streak in 15 seasons to 12 games on Sunday, beating the Kamloops Blazers 3-1 in a matchup between the top two teams in the Western Hockey League. [url=http://www.cheapjerseyfromchina.us.com/]nfl jerseys china . One day after being released by the Calgary Stampeders, the veteran receiver, who has been battling injuries, will visit with Argonauts team doctors on Monday. cheap jerseys . Gregg and Bastille both won gold medals as Canadians swept the second set of womens and mens 500-metre events in this weekends World Cup stop in Montreal. Maltais, from La Baie, Que., won Canadas third gold medal of the day in the womens 1000-metre final. PHILADELPHIA -- Hoping for a big team celebration soon, Gio Gonzalez checked off a few more individual accomplishments. Gonzalez became the first 21-game winner in the majors, Michael Morse hit two homers and the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 7-3 Thursday night to move closer to an NL East title. Bryce Harper also connected for the playoff-bound Nationals, who reduced their magic number to three. They have a four-game lead over Atlanta with six to play. "We have to keep fighting," Gonzalez said. "It wont be easy. We just want to do what weve been doing all year." Gonzalez (21-8) settled down after a shaky start and lasted six innings, allowing three runs and six hits. Hes the first NL lefty to win more than 20 games since Dontrelle Willis won 22 for the Florida Marlins in 2005. His 21 wins are a franchise best and the most by a pitcher in the nations capital since Bob Porterfield had 22 for the Washington Senators in 1953. Gonzalez and Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (20-6) are considered the leading candidates for the NL Cy Young Award. The Phillies closed out their home schedule with a loss that left them on the brink of post-season elimination. They trail St. Louis by six games for the second wild-card spot with six games remaining. They finished 40-41 at home, their first losing record at 9-year-old Citizens Bank Park. "We competed. We never gave up when people never thought wed even be mentioned for a playoff spot," slugger Ryan Howard said. The Nationals already are the first major league team in D.C. to reach the post-season in 79 years. Theyre looking for their first division crown since moving to Washington and the second in franchise history. The Montreal Expos won the NL East in 1981, a strike-shortened season. "Weve got three more weve got to win," manager Davey Johnson said. Tyler Cloyd (2-2) got roughed up by an offence that feasted on his straight fastballs. Cloyd, who was 15-1 in the minors this season, allowed six runs and six hits in five-plus innings. Cloyd walked Danny Espinosa to start the fifth and Jayson Werth with two outs. Harper then hit a soft liner to left for a single, scoring Espinosa for a 4-3 lead. Morse crushed a two-run shot to right-centre to give the Nationals a 6-3 lead in the sixthh.dddddddddddd The ball sailed over Philadelphias bullpen and landed in front of Washingtons relievers, travelling an estimated 448 feet. "It felt real good coming off the bat," Morse said. "Its been a tough year for me, but the teams played great and everybody has been picking up for everybody." Harper ripped one out to right-centre to give the Nationals a 1-0 lead in the first. He also homered in his first at-bat Wednesday to become the second teenager to hit 20 homers, joining Tony Conigliaro. Darin Ruf lined a three-run double over Harpers head to put the Phillies up 3-1 in the first. "I was a little bit out of whack," Gonzalez said about walking two batters in front of Ruf. "I was like a split personality out there, talking to myself trying to figure it out. I really wanted to make a quality start." Ruf earned the nickname "Babe" by leading all minor leaguers with 38 homers this season, breaking Howards single-season record at Double-A Reading. He hit his first homer Tuesday in his third at-bat and first start. Morse connected in the second to cut it to 3-2. The Phillies acquired Gonzalez from the Chicago White Sox along with Aaron Rowand and another minor leaguer in 2005. They traded him back to the White Sox with Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia in 2006 in what turned out to be the worst trade by Hall of Famer Pat Gillick in his three years as Phillies general manager. Gonzalez has won at least 15 games three straight years and is a two-time All-Star. Floyd has won double-digit games five consecutive seasons. Garcia won one game for Philadelphia. NOTES: Ross Grimsley was the only other pitcher in Nationals/Expos history to win 20 games. He did it in 1978. ... Morse became the sixth player to hit 15 homers for the Nationals, most in franchise history. It was his second multihomer game of the season and fifth of his career. ... Harper is three homers shy of matching Conigliaro, who hit 24 for the Boston Red Sox in 1964. ... The Phillies lead the majors in attendance at 3,565,718. ... Cliff Lee (6-8) faces Mark Buehrle (13-13) when the Phillies start a three-game series at Miami on Friday night. ... Edwin Jackson (9-10) tries to become the fifth Washington starter to win 10 games when the Nationals visit St. Louis on Friday. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes