Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

1954 when it was Mays of the New York Giants and B...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

1954 when it was Mays of the New York Giants and Bobby Avila of

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/31 12:14AM
Latest post: 2014/07/31 12:14AM, Views: 296, Posts: 1
1954 when it was Mays of the New York Giants and Bobby Avila of
#1   2014/07/31 12:14AM
wff0605
MONZA, Italy -- Lewis Hamilton took pole position for the Italian Grand Prix after setting the fastest time in qualifying on Saturday, while teammate Jenson Button made it a McLaren one-two. Amid speculation about his future and a possible switch to Mercedes, Hamilton took his fourth pole of the season in a time of 1 minute, 24.010 seconds, just over a tenth of a second faster than Button. Ferrari driver Felipe Massa was third -- much to the delight of the home fans -- but championship leader Fernando Alonso had another disappointing day. The Spaniard, who was just a thousandth of a second behind Hamilton in the final practice, will start way back in 10th position in Sundays race. Hamilton has been in good form all weekend, topping two of the three practice sessions, a week after getting into trouble with his team after posting sensitive data on Twitter. He has yet to commit to staying with McLaren, which has fueled talk about a possible move to Mercedes. "I havent had any distractions this weekend, so its been quite positive...pretty smooth so far," Hamilton said. "Its been a tough weekend but weve managed to work on the setup and the guys done a fantastic job. So, congratulations to the team. Its great obviously for the team to have me and Jenson at the front." Hamilton, however, wasnt completely satisfied with his performance in qualifying. "I think practice was a lot better for me," he said. "I had much, much better laps in practice but I cant complain. Generally I didnt think that lap was anywhere near good enough. "But nonetheless Im happy and Im really happy for the team because theyve been doing a fantastic job." It is McLarens 62nd front row sweep in Formula One -- a record for the sport. It is also the teams third all front row this season. "Its fantastic for the team," Button said. "I think the last few races have really shown our strength and qualifying both of us on the front row is great. I dont know if any other team has been able to do that this year. "Well start thinking about tomorrow in a little while. Even being on the front row, its not going to be an easy race here but its the best place to be." None of the top three has won at Monza before. Hamilton has a great chance at the fast track as the winner has come from pole position in all but two of the past nine Italian Grand Prix. However, the 27-year-old is not reading anything into that as he bids for his third win of the season. "Its not particularly encouraging," Hamilton said. "I think that one that wasnt a winner was me! In 2009. When I was on pole." On Friday, Alonso endured a suspected engine failure in the first practice and a brake problem and gearbox failure during the afternoon session. His problems seemed to be behind him in the morning, but more technical issues saw him finish over 1.5 seconds behind Hamilton in the final qualifying segment. "Better it happens today than tomorrow," Alonso said. "There was a break in the suspension and there was nothing we could do. The car was impossible to drive and there was no time to fix the car so we just tried to complete one lap to see if we could maybe overtake one or two cars. "Its annoying as I drove 1:24.0 in Q2 and normally you can improve by three tenths so it was an easy pole position, I had a good chance as the car was performing well. But the race is long, we need to take the potential of the car into tomorrows race and hopefully we can recover some positions." It could be another troublesome weekend for Alonso, who saw his lead over Red Bulls Sebastian Vettel cut to 24 points last weekend after his race was ended following a wild multi-car accident caused by Lotus driver Romain Grosjean at the beginning of the race. "You have to start with the belief that you can still win," Alonso said. "I have to have that 100 per cent. "You have to think that luck evens itself out and weve had no luck this weekend." There will be some consolation for the Spaniard in that Red Bull has struggled as well so far at Monza. Vettel finished outside the top 10 in all three practices, although the defending champion was sixth in qualifying. Paul Di Resta qualified fourth, but will be pushed down to ninth because of a five-place grid penalty for changing gearbox. A gearbox is supposed to last five consecutive races under FIA regulations, but the Force India team had to install a new one in Di Restas car after last weekends Belgium Grand Prix. Five-time Monza winner Michael Schumacher, who was fastest in the first practice session, finished fifth. He moves up a place because of Di Restas penalty, as do Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Kimi Raikkonen and Kamui Kobayashi. cheapjerseysnflchina . The Spurs announced the move Friday without disclosing terms. The 6-foot Australian was signed by the Spurs on March 27. Cheap Custom Jerseys . -- Jacksonville Jaguars first-round draft pick receiver Justin Blackmon was arrested on an aggravated DUI charge Sunday after authorities in Oklahoma said he had three times the legal limit of alcohol in his system. cheap china jerseys . Morgan hit .304 while helping Milwaukee win the NL Central in 2011, but slumped to .239 this year and the Brewers failed to make the playoffs. [url=http://www.cheapjerseysnflchina.us/Nike-Nfl-Jerseys-Rd-21_San-Francisco-49e... 49ers Jerseys[/url] . Adam Henrique beat Jonathan Quick high blocker with the eventual game-winner as the gritty Devils staved off elimination in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final. "Theres no quit in the group in here," said Henrique, who has three game-winning goals in the postseason.SAN FRANCISCO -- A roly-poly Kung Fu Panda outslugged the Triple Crown winner. An October outcast outpitched the Cy Young ace. With Pablo Sandoval and Barry Zito taking star turns, this World Series is off to a rollicking start. Sandoval hit three home runs and joined Reggie Jackson, Babe Ruth and Albert Pujols as the only boppers to do it in the Series, and the San Francisco Giants jolted Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers 8-3 on Wednesday night in Game 1. "Man, I still cant believe it," Sandoval said. A boisterous AT&T Park crowd -- a sea of black and orange outfits -- roared as Sandoval connected in his first three at-bats. Popular in the Bay Area for his outgoing personality and unusual physique, he went 4 for 4 and drove in four runs. A Giant panda for sure. From the first pitch to last, it was basically a perfect game by the Giants. Coming off a Game 7 win over St. Louis on Monday night, they looked totally fresh. "We played our last game only two days ago," Sandoval said. "Were still hot. We just came here and played our game." Verlander, the reigning Cy Young winner so dominant in this post-season, looked uncomfortable from the outset and constantly pawed at the mound. As fans filed out singing along with Tony Bennetts standard "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," the final score raised a nagging question for manager Jim Leyland and his favoured Tigers: Did too much rest after a playoff sweep of the Yankees mean too much rust? "I just didnt execute tonight," Verlander said. "It was kind of a battle from the get-go. They took advantage of that and swung the bat pretty well, especially Pablo and (Marco) Scutaro. A couple of good bounces their way, bad for us." Game 2 is Thursday night, with Doug Fister starting for the Tigers against Madison Bumgarner. Left off the 2010 World Series roster by the champion Giants, Zito shut out the Tigers until Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabreras RBI single in the sixth. The Giants won for the 14th straight time with Zito starting. "Just the opportunity alone was mind-blowing. Me and my wife were dancing around when I heard," Zito said of getting the Game 1 start. "And then the boys came out swinging and played great defence." Sandoval did his damage with his bat. He donated the wood he used for the first two homers to the Hall of Fame -- no need for it anymore, he broke it on the backswing of his second shot. It was certainly a moment of retribution of Sandoval. He was benched during the 2010 World Series, his production and confidence down, his weight up. In the stands on this night, fans wearing furry panda hats celebrated with him. "You have to keep working. Ive never lost faith to be here," he said. Get this: It was the first three-homer game at the stadium originally known as Pac Bell Park since the very first one, when Kevin Elster did it for the Dodgers in 2000. Nope, not even home run king Barry Bonds had done this. Tagged by Sandoval for a solo shot in the first inning, Verlander could only mouth Wow! when the Giants star launched a two-run drive in the third that set off another blast of fog horns. Sandoval reprised his power show from this years All-Star game, when his bases-loaded triple highlighted a five-run first inning against Verlander. Quite a blast from a team that finished last in the majors in homers. "Were not known for our power," manager Bruce Bochy noted. And if there was any doubt that Verlander was shaky, the clearest sign came in the fourth. Thats when Zito, a career .099 hitter, sliced an RBI single with two outs off the current AL MVP for a 5-0 lead. The festive crowd stood and applauded when it was announced that Verlander was being pulled for a pinch hitter in the fifth. Sandoval gave his followers another reason to get up moments later when he hit a solo homer off reliever Al Alburquerque in the fifth, answering the cheers by waving his batting helmet in a curtain call. The Tigers seemed out of sorts in their first game following a five-day layoff. That was an issue in 2006, too, when Verlander and his teammates had nearly a week off before getting wiped out by the Cardinals. "Im one thats been around long enough too know that a lot of things happen in this game.dddddddddddd This was a big-hyped game with Justin, probably a lot of pressure on him," Leyland said. "But I dont think it had anything to do with the pressure. His fastball command was not good. He got out of sync. He got on fast forward. He just did not pitch well tonight. Its that simple," he said. Pujols homered three times last year, Jackson accomplished the feat in 1977 and Ruth did it in 1926 and again in 1928. For good measure, Sandoval lined a single his last time up. "We were hoping for a water shot but he got a lousy single. Kind of killed the whole deal for us," Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt kidded. Sandoval is one of a record nine Venezuelans on the Series rosters, and his power performance attracted attention way beyond the ballpark. "There goes the third! Pablo makes history," Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez tweeted in Spanish. Scutaro, the NL championship series MVP, twice hit RBI singles after doubles by Angel Pagan. NL batting champion Buster Posey contributed two hits, left fielder Gregor Blanco made diving catches to rob Cabrera and Prince Fielder, and Tim Lincecum came out of the bullpen to prevent further damage. The Giants kept getting good bounces, with Pagan hitting a double that hopped off the third-base bag. ALCS MVP Delmon Young, meanwhile, failed to run after a tapper in front of the plate that the Giants turned into a double play. Pitching in San Francisco for the first time since 2008, Verlander scuffed at the rubber while warming up for the first inning, pulled off his glove after badly overthrowing a curve and kept taking deep breaths. He hardly resembled the guy who was 3-0 with an 0.74 ERA in three playoff starts this year. Ever since two poor outings in the 2006 Series against St. Louis -- punctuated by two throwing errors -- Verlander has worked hard to harness his emotions and 100 mph heat in the early going. Verlander was trying to settle in when Sandoval tagged him, pouncing on an 0-2 fastball and lining it into the front row over the centre-field wall. Verlander got into trouble again the third, and pitching coach Jeff Jones strolled to the mound when the count went to 2-0 on Sandoval. Verlander stared at Jones and shook his head. On the next pitch, Verlander could do little but watch the ball sail into the front row in left. To some, this looked somewhat similar to the 2010 Series opener. That day, the Giants beat up the supposedly unhittable Cliff Lee on their way to a five-game romp over Texas. "Well, you know, its hard to figure this game sometimes. You hear the old adage -- Thats baseball. These guys are human, and sometimes theyre not quite on top of their game," Bochy said. This is how bad it got for the Tigers: Former closer Jose Valverde made his first appearance in 11 days. Leyland still isnt sure what hell get from the struggling reliever. Lincecum, meanwhile, retired seven straight batters and struck out five of them. The two-time Cy Young winner has embraced his new role in the bullpen. Jhonny Peralta hit a two-run homer for the Tigers in the ninth off mop-up reliever George Kontos. NOTES: Tampa Bays Desmond Jennings was the only other player this year to homer twice in a game off Verlander. ... Willie Mays and fellow Giants Hall of Famers Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda and Gaylord Perry took part in the first-ball ceremony. ... Tigers great Al Kaline, now a team executive, watched Detroit take batting practice from behind the cage. ... The Game 1 winner has won eight of the last nine championships. ... Cabrera and Posey marked the first set of batting champs to face each other in the World Series since 1954 when it was Mays of the New York Giants and Bobby Avila of Cleveland. When Cabrera walked on a close full-count pitch, he playfully patted the Giants All-Star catcher on his way to first base. ... Tigers bullpen catcher Jeff Kunkel wandered the stands well before the teams took the field for warmups, snapping pictures of the stadium and field with his cellphone. ... The Giants franchise played its 106th Series game -- they have won 50 -- trailing only the Yankees (225) and Cardinals (112). The Dodgers are fourth with 105. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes