Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

, a big part of the second-half surge, missed Sund...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

, a big part of the second-half surge, missed Sundays home loss to

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/29 04:57AM
Latest post: 2014/07/29 04:57AM, Views: 290, Posts: 1
, a big part of the second-half surge, missed Sundays home loss to
#1   2014/07/29 04:57AM
wff0605
SAN FRANCISCO -- Madison Bumgarner fully expected the silent treatment from his teammates after hitting the first home run of his major league career. He received the cold shoulder in the San Francisco dugout only briefly before being mobbed by Pablo Sandoval and others, another highlight in what is shaping up to be a stellar season for the young left-hander. Bumgarner had a season-high 12 strikeouts and his home run provided the biggest blow for the Giants offence in a 6-3 victory over the Houston Astros on Tuesday night. "I was definitely aware," Bumgarner said of the quiet reception he received following his home run. "Theyve been giving me (grief) since about the first day here since I havent hit one. Id just about give up on it but I ran into one finally." Bumgarner connected on a 2-1 pitch from Houston starter Bud Norris leading off the third inning. Its the first home run by any San Francisco player at AT&T Park since May 14. Before Bumgarner went deep off Norris, the Giants had gone 16 consecutive games at AT&T Park without a home run to tie the longest streak in the majors since Clevelands 17-game homerless skid in 1983. "Hes probably got the most power on the pitching staff, incredible power really," manager Bruce Bochy said. "I know in BP hes trying to shorten things up and not swing so hard. Its good to see him get one." Brandon Belt added a two-run homer, Brandon Crawford drove in two runs and Melky Cabrera had two hits and an RBI in his return to the Giants lineup. Bumgarner (8-4) struck out the side in the first, allowed an unearned run in the third following Crawfords two-out throwing error then kept the Astros in check before leaving in the eighth. The left-hander reached double digits in strikeouts for the third time in his last five starts, didnt walk a batter for the third time this season and retired 11 of 13 until pinch-hitter Brian Bogusevics single leading off the eighth. Two batters later Brian Bixler hit an RBI double to pull Houston within 4-2 and chase Bumgarner. Reliever Sergio Romo struck out J.D. Martinez to end the inning, then Bochy used three relievers to close the ninth. Santiago Casilla ended it, retiring pinch-hitter Brett Wallace on a fly out for his 17th save. As good as Bumgarner was on the mound, he provided a bigger lift at the plate when he tied the game 1-1 and ended the franchises longest power drought at home since 1918. Bumgarner wasnt sure if the ball would clear the fence so he sprinted out of the batters box before slowing into a home run trot. "I just swing hard in case I hit something," Bumgarner said. "I wanted to run just in case. I didnt want to have it hit off the wall." Bixler singled, doubled and drove in both runs for Houston, which has lost 12 of its last 16 games. "He mixes it well," Houston first baseman Matt Downs said of Bumgarner. "His stuff was lethal." San Francisco made it 3-1 on Crawfords two-run single in the fourth. Cabrera, who had missed the last three games because of a tight hamstring, singled in Gregor Blanco in the seventh to give the Giants a 4-1 lead. He also singled in the fifth and leads the National League with a .366 average. Belt hit his first home run of the season in the eighth off reliever Wesley Wright. It wasnt all good news for San Francisco. Sandoval left the game after fouling a ball sharply off his left foot in the eighth. The third baseman had just returned from the disabled list on Saturday. Norris (5-4) was knocked out of the game early with a sprained left knee, aggravating an injury he first suffered May 31 against Colorado. The right-hander, who walked three and hit a batter, appeared to get hurt after chasing a pop-up in foul territory in the fourth. Norris was unable to make the catch and nearly collided with Blanco, the on-deck hitter, then slowly walked back to the mound where he met with a team trainer and manager Brad Mills before attempting a few warm-up pitches. "Its sore," Norris said. "Id feel it every third pitch or so and that last inning it really got to me. The last five steps didnt help." Reliever David Carpenter replaced Norris and pitched 2 2-3 scoreless innings but the Astros couldnt get much going offensively against Bumgarner and fell to 2-2 on their nine-game road trip. Notes: With Cabrera back, the Giants gave OF Angel Pagan the game off. Pagan has been nursing a sore stomach muscle. ... Bochy said Aubrey Huff will likely DH when the team travels to Seattle for another round of interleague play Friday. ... Bochy met with general manager Brian Sabean, pitching coach Dave Righetti and bullpen coach Mark Gardner to discuss struggling RHP Tim Lincecum. They discussed possibly having Lincecum skip a start or move to the bullpen but decided to keep him in the rotation to work out his problems. Lincecum (2-7) is winless over his previous eight starts. ... Houston 1B Carlos Lee is anxious to begin his rehab assignment but the Astros are being cautious with him while he recovers from a strained left hamstring. ... San Francisco signed 22 of its 40 draft picks on Tuesday, including first-rounder Chris Stratton. ... The Astros signed five of their draft picks. ... RHP Matt Cain (7-2) chases his seventh consecutive win on Wednesday against Houston LHP J.A. Happ (4-6). ... Rory McIlroy, in town to defend his U.S. Open championship, threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Kyrie Irving Jersey . -- Georgia Southern ran wild against major college footballs top defence, racking up more points against No. LeBron James Cavaliers Jersey . The seventh-ranked Frenchman, playing in the Swedish capital for the first time, put on an impressive display of serve and volley tennis to line up a meeting on Saturday with 2009 champion Marcos Baghdatis. http://ww... . Although a triple-double isnt usually part of Bryants game plan, he happily picked it up along with another win for a team that has been revitalized before their new coach has even taken the court. [url=http://www.nbacavaliersofficial.com/Lebron-James-Cavaliers-Jersey]www.nbaca... .S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro beat Marcos Baghdatis 6-4, 6-1 on Friday to set up a final against Lleyton Hewitt at the Kooyong Classic, an exhibition tournament ahead of the Australian Open. [url=http://www.nbacavaliersofficial.com/Lebron-James-Cavaliers-Jersey]LeBron James Womens Jersey . The San Francisco Giants declined to tender a one-year contract to the closer by Friday nights deadline, making him a free agent as he recovers from a second ligament-replacement surgery on his right elbow. PHOENIX -- Without Carmelo Anthony and Raymond Felton, the New York Knicks still had enough to eke out a 99-97 victory in Phoenix, thanks to a pair of very late, very tough jumpers by J.R. Smith. The first was a 15-foot, fadeaway shot from just inside the key to tie it with 10.6 seconds left, the second a 21-footer from the baseline at the buzzer. "I dont know whatever words you want to use but he loves that moment," Knicks guard Jason Kidd said. "Im trying to figure out if that last shot was tougher than the one before that he took." The game-winner came on an inbound pass from Kidd after the Suns turned it over with a second to play. "It was premeditated," Smith said. "I was walking around the court going, You are going to make it, you are going to make it. I was trying to get my form ready before I even thought about taking it. I was trying to go through my mechanics in my head, get my shoulders square to the basket and just let it fly." Jared Dudley had a career-high 36 for Phoenix, including two free throws that put the Suns ahead 97-95 with 34.5 seconds to go. New York was without the NBAs No. 2 scorer in Anthony (hyperextended knee) and Felton (finger), both hurt in the Christmas day loss to the Lakers in Los Angeles. The Knicks said X-rays on Feltons right fifth finger revealed a fracture and the next course of action will be determined after his return to New York. "We just have to go back and assess it and see where we are and go from there, but again, like I said, injuries occur," New York coach Mike Woodson said. "Key guys get banged up here and there and we have enough guys on our team that guys just got to step up and play until guys get back. Thats how its got to be." The Suns lost Goran Dragic in the final seconds of the first half when he was undercut by Smith on a layup attempt and fell hard to the floor. Dragic had bruises to his hip, back and wrist. Smith was called for a flagrant foul on the play. Phoenix coach Alvin Gentry knew there was no intent to injure on Smiths part. "J.R., hes not that kind of player," Gentry said. "He plays hard and he competes like crazy. It was an accident. It was one of those things that happens." Chris Copeland and Tyson Chandler added 14 points apiece for the Knicks. Dudley, whose previous high was 33, was 11 of 17 shooting, 5 of 8 on 3s, and 9 off 9 at the foul line.dddddddddddd Marcin Gortat added 13 points for the Suns, who lost their third in a row. New York led 54-44 at the half and stretched it to 68-54 when Smith made a fadeaway, falling-down 19-footer with 7:13 left in the third. Dudley responded with a 3-pointer and the Suns were off on a 20-4 outburst. Another 3 by Dudley tied it at 72 with 2:10 to go, and Shannon Brown, who made just one of his first seven shots, scored on a fast-break layup to put Phoenix ahead 74-72 with 1:23 left in the quarter. It was knotted at 76 entering the fourth. Dudley was fouled by Copeland on a 3-point try and made all three free throws to put Phoenix up 90-86 with 5:19 left, but Smith scored the next four, Kidd sank a 3 and Copeland made a 21-footer in a 9-0 spurt that had the Knicks up 95-90 with 3:34 left. After a scoreless 1:28, Sebastian Telfair made a 3, then Brown sank a 20-footer to tie it at 95 with 1:15 remaining. Smith missed a jumper from the top of the key 52 seconds from the finish and the Suns got the ball. Dudley was fouled on a drive to the hoop and made both free throws to make it 97-95. But Smith, with P.J. Tucker all over him, sank a fadeaway from just outside the free throw line to tie. Gentry called a 20-second timeout but the play broke down and, when Telfair tried to hit Gortat for a back-door layup, the ball was knocked back into the backcourt by Kidd. Telfair chased it down but wound up stepping out of bounds with a second on the clock. After a timeout, Kidd tossed the pass to Smith, who got the shot off, again over Tucker, from just inside the 3-point line. It went in and he was mobbed by his teammates. "It happened so fast and obviously you want to keep it for the last shot and live with that," Dudley said, "but you give them one second and J.R. with the big shot." Notes: The Knicks complete their brief three-game trip west at Sacramento on Friday. ... New York has lost two in a row only once this season. ... Michael Beasley, a big part of the second-half surge, missed Sundays home loss to the Clippers due to illness. ... The 36 points were the most by a Suns player in two seasons. ... Kidd also had eight assists and six rebounds. ... New York also was without Rasheed Wallace with a sore left foot. .... It was the first time the team had been without Anthony and Felton in the same game. .... The Knicks are 3-2 without Anthony. cheap jerseys from china ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes