Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

iak and Ventrel Jenkins went down during the seaso...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

iak and Ventrel Jenkins went down during the season. Defensive e

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/22 04:42AM
Latest post: 2014/07/22 04:42AM, Views: 235, Posts: 1
iak and Ventrel Jenkins went down during the season. Defensive e
#1   2014/07/22 04:42AM
wff0605
DAVOS - Ive seen some remarkable efforts by Canadian teams at the Spengler Cup over the years. Its a cliché, to be sure, but, whenever Canada comes to a tournament like this, time is the greatest opponent. Will there be enough time for the team to develop? Will they have time to sort out proper powerplay or penalty killing units? Will there be enough time for them to truly become the team they can? At big international tournaments, like the Olympics for example, its hardly a challenge unique to Canada. But at a tournament like the Spengler Cup, where youre meeting largely intact club teams in mid-season form, it is a problem that only Team Canada faces. If I had to pick one team over the years that Ive been coming to the Spengler that best exemplified the overcoming of adversity, it would, without a doubt, be the team that won the 2003 championship. It was coached by my old friend Gary Green and, aside from the aforementioned issues of team chemistry, this team was the recipient of the nastiest flu bug Id ever seen tear through a team. It was a grim sight. A couple of hours before game time and I had wandered into the Team Canada coachs office to check on a couple of things. Its not polite to stare, but I couldnt take my eyes off what I saw. There were four players, either hunched over or sitting, hooked up to IV units. All four of the players - and several others on this particular team - were suffering from dehydration because of a particularly vicious flu bug that had been ravaging the club since day one. It was two hours before the championship game, and they were going to try to play. "Why bother", thought I, the reporter guy. Canada had toughed it out to the championship game. It was a rough road as teams were then forced to play five games in six days. There were the usual variety of sprains and strains that any hockey team contends with. But that flu bug - it was merciless. The Bug showed up on day one of the tournament, settled in and made itself at home, and went on to infect more than half of the team at one point or another. In the worst cases - and there were about eight players who fell into that category - guys couldnt keep food or liquid in either end for very long. Players became dehydrated. Throw in the rigors of a high intensity hockey game and the toll was taken. Some players could barely sit straight, never mind play a full shift. But there they were, all hands on deck, IV tubes in arm, and ready to suffer through the last game. They fell behind early and looked, well, like a sick team. But through force of will, they turned what could of been a route around and into a Canadian victory. A few of the players didnt have the strength to celebrate. It was right back to bed. Now, dont kid yourself here. Real heroes run into burning buildings to save people or risk their lives for great causes - they dont chase pucks around. But, still, in the context of sports, there was something heroic and selfless about what many of those sick players accomplished. When I asked "why?", there was no great answer. They ranged from "because I didnt want to let the other guys down" to a shrug and something about "just doing my job." Ive covered international hockey for almost 25 years and seen some great players and teams. But Ill never forget the dedication shown by a bunch of guys who most North American hockey fans wouldnt even recognize. Guys who played through pain and hardship, not for glory or cash, but for fun and because they didnt want to let their teammates down. Is there anything more "hockey" than that? Jerseys NFL China . "Any time you get three on the power play and a shortie, you usually win the game," said the Marlies head coach. "Were finding ways to win every night. Jerseys NFL Wholesale . -- Giving Braylon Edwards another shot might have seemed like a move of desperation but it may turn out to be a shrewd decision by the Seattle Seahawks. http://www.jerseysnflwholesale.us/ . Sharapova cruised to a 6-4, 6-0 semifinal victory over seventh-seeded Li Na of China in the other semifinal. Azarenka, who won her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January, was tested in the first set by Bartoli and her unorthodox style of play, but ran ahead to a 5-1 lead in the second set. Cheap NFL Jerseys . -- Mark Jackson received a congratulatory text message from Hall of Famer Reggie Miller that might have seemed a bit strange after his Golden State Warriors grinded out a win against the Western Conferences worst team. Jerseys NFL Cheap . -- David Peoples got into the 3M Championship on Tuesday when Russ Cochran withdrew because of a back injury. MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes are parting ways with first-year defensive co-ordinator Jeff Reinebold. The club announced Tuesday night that Reinebold will not return for the 2013 season. Despite the Alouettes finishing first in the East Division, the team struggled on defence and gave up 30 or more points in its first four games, and conceded more than 40 points twice after that. Reinebolds rookie year on the job wasnt made any easier by a secondary that was ravaged by injuries. Moton Hopkins didnt play at all, wwhile fellow defensive tackles J.dddddddddddd. Bekasiak and Ventrel Jenkins went down during the season. Defensive end John Bowman also missed a large part of the season. Montreal allowed 489 points for an average of 27.2 points-per-game under Reinebold. The Alouettes were eliminated in the East semifinal by eventual Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts. Reinebold was a former head coach in Winnipeg. He was hired by the Bombers in 1997 and fired late the following season after compiling a 6-26 record. cheap jerseys from china ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes