Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

against the Als. ... Lions defensive lineman Mauri...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

against the Als. ... Lions defensive lineman Maurice Evans, who repl

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/20 07:35AM
Latest post: 2014/07/20 07:35AM, Views: 266, Posts: 1
against the Als. ... Lions defensive lineman Maurice Evans, who repl
#1   2014/07/20 07:35AM
wff0605
SURREY, B.C. -- Matt Normans standout rookie season with the B.C. Lions is coming to a premature close, but its ending on his terms. The offensive guard is slated to play the final game of the season Friday in Montreal against the Alouettes before heading back to the University of Western Ontario to study for his teaching certificate. "Its just so that I can be productive in the off-season," Norman said after practice Tuesday. Norman, in his first pro season following his university career with the Western Mustangs, has started seven of B.C.s eight games. He plans to return to the Lions next season after completing the necessary qualifications to teach high school history and geography. Westerns teaching program is currently a one-year program, but it will be extended to two years starting in the 2013-14 academic year. "Without getting too complicated, if I dont do this now, I wont be able to teaching in the off-season and get some experience for teaching down the road," he said. Norman, a 24-year-old Chateauguay, Que., native who was the Lions third-round choice (22nd overall) in this years CFL draft, wants to be ready for the time when his playing days are done for good. In addition to teaching full-time, he hopes to coach. "I dont know how long my career in the CFL is going to last," he said. "Next year? The year after that? Five years down the road? Who knows? But I want to be able to step into a career as soon as Im done instead of having to go through school again." Norman was schooled in his first pro regular-season game against Winnipeg, when he was pulled from his starting post at half-time, but has excelled since then. With his help, B.C. has allowed a league-low 10 sacks. The West Division-leading Lions (6-2) have also racked up four straight wins heading into the game against East Division-leading Als (5-3.) Lions coach Mike Benevides said Norman has done everything that has been required of him while growing as a player and developing his skills. "When you look at what he had to do as a rookie offensive lineman, right off the bat, he performed at a high level that enabled our offence to run the ball extremely well and (the team) to be extremely effective -- and find a way to win six games," Benevides said. "Hes been very impressive. Hes got a real bright future in our league." Quarterback Travis Lulay called Normans first season "a pretty good story." He praised the rookie for being able to jump in as a starter right away and bounce back from his difficult first game. "Hes been a special player for us to this point," said Lulay. "(His departure) will be disappointing, just because hes a guy whos been doing a great job in front of me." Defensive lineman Khalif Mitchell, who will return Friday after serving a two-game suspension for twisting Edmonton lineman Simeon Rottiers arm, praised the rookie for his clean play. "Hes very legitimate," said Mitchell, who has battled against Norman in practice. "When I just kept trying to beat the hell out of him and tried to beat him down, he never came at me or lashed at me. He took it with respect." Norman earned the respect of coaches and players by helping to fill a void on the offensive line after three veterans -- Jon Hameister-Ries, Dean Valli and Jesse Newman -- were all sidelined early in training camp with knee injuries. Hameister-Ries and Valli have since returned, but Newman remains on the nine-game injured list and has one more to sit out before he can return. Meanwhile, Hameister-Ries has missed action due to ongoing knee and back troubles. Although Normans departure, expected for months, will pose challenges, he will go with the blessing of coach Benevides and general manager Wally Buono. "What matters really, when you take a look at it, is what the man wants," said Benevides. "Its what the individual wants." Such talk is not what one would expect from coaches, who usually stress the needs of the team above everything else. But Benevides said it is important to support Normans decision and let him go, because he is doing something that he really believes in "for the right reasons." "Hes one of us," said Benevides. "Hes part of our family, and well bring him back when hes done what he has to do." Norman said it wont be easy to leave, because he has had "amazing" experiences, progressed as a player and built strong relationships with his teammates. He hates the idea of having to sit and watch his former Western Ontario team, which he plans to help coach, as well as the Lions, but still believes its time to go. After he plays one more CFL game. "Honestly, Im not really approaching it in any different way," he said. "Mentally, its the same and the same as anything I do in life. I take it one day at a time. So Ill focus on football this week and then, when footballs over, I just have to go on to the next thing." Notes: Fridays game is the first of back-to-back contests between the Lions and Alouettes. The clubs will meet again Sept. 8 at B.C. Place. ... Lions centre Angus Reid returned to practice after sitting out Monday with a foot injury suffered in Saturdays win over Winnipeg. He is expected to play against the Als. ... Lions defensive lineman Maurice Evans, who replaced Mitchell against the Blue Bombers, will remain on the roster rather than being returned to the practice roster, but he could be scratched, said Benevides. ... Former Lions middle linebacker Solomon Elimimian returned to Vancouver after being released by the NFLs Minnesota Vikings on the weekend. He is currently within a 10-day window for other NFL clubs to sign him before the option year of his Lions contract kicks in. Wholesale NFL Jerseys .53 million title on Wednesday. Greg Merson emerged with the title before dawn in Las Vegas after a session that proved a showcase for his skills amid the unpredictability of tournament no-limit Texas Hold em. Jerseys NFL Cheap . - Mixed martial arts fighter and reality show host Jason (Mayhem) Miller was in jail on suspicion of burglary Monday night after deputies responding to reports of a break-in said they found him naked inside a Southern California church. http://www.jerseysnflwholesale.us/ . The 25-year-old German made his F1 debut in 2010 with Williams and captured a pole position in his maiden year. As a Force India driver, Hulkenberg is 12th in the drivers championship. Jerseys NFL China . -- The Oakland Raiders thin receiving corps got a boost Thursday when Denarius Moore returned to practice from an injury and the team signed Derek Hagan. Jerseys NFL Wholesale . Pittsburgh also got minor league pitcher Kyle Kaminska for minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez and the extra draft pick for 2013 that the Pirates won in the competitive balance lottery for financially weaker teams.SURREY, B.C. -- Matt Normans standout rookie season with the B.C. Lions is coming to a premature close, but its ending on his terms. The offensive guard is slated to play the final game of the season Friday in Montreal against the Alouettes before heading back to the University of Western Ontario to study for his teaching certificate. "Its just so that I can be productive in the off-season," Norman said after practice Tuesday. Norman, in his first pro season following his university career with the Western Mustangs, has started seven of B.C.s eight games. He plans to return to the Lions next season after completing the necessary qualifications to teach high school history and geography. Westerns teaching program is currently a one-year program, but it will be extended to two years starting in the 2013-14 academic year. "Without getting too complicated, if I dont do this now, I wont be able to teaching in the off-season and get some experience for teaching down the road," he said. Norman, a 24-year-old Chateauguay, Que., native who was the Lions third-round choice (22nd overall) in this years CFL draft, wants to be ready for the time when his playing days are done for good. In addition to teaching full-time, he hopes to coach. "I dont know how long my career in the CFL is going to last," he said. "Next year? The year after that? Five years down the road? Who knows? But I want to be able to step into a career as soon as Im done instead of having to go through school again." Norman was schooled in his first pro regular-season game against Winnipeg, when he was pulled from his starting post at half-time, but has excelled since then. With his help, B.C. has allowed a league-low 10 sacks. The West Division-leading Lions (6-2) have also racked up four straight wins heading into the game against East Division-leading Als (5-3.) Lions coach Mike Benevides said Norman has done everything that has been required of him while growing as a player and developing his skills. "When you look at what he had to do as a rookie offensive lineman, right off the bat, he performed at a high level that enabled our offence to run the ball extremely well and (the team) to be extremely effective -- and find a way to win six games," Benevides said. "Hes been very impressive. Hes got a real bright future in our league." Quarterback Travis Lulay called Normans first season "a pretty good story." He praised the rookie for being able to jump in as a starter right away and bounce back from his difficult first game. "Hes been a special player for us to this point," said Lulay. "(His departure) will be disappointing, just because hes a guy whos been doing a great job in front of me." Defensive lineman Khalif Mitchell, who will return Friday after serving a two-game suspension for twisting Edmonton lineman Simeon Rottiers arm, praiised the rookie for his clean play.dddddddddddd "Hes very legitimate," said Mitchell, who has battled against Norman in practice. "When I just kept trying to beat the hell out of him and tried to beat him down, he never came at me or lashed at me. He took it with respect." Norman earned the respect of coaches and players by helping to fill a void on the offensive line after three veterans -- Jon Hameister-Ries, Dean Valli and Jesse Newman -- were all sidelined early in training camp with knee injuries. Hameister-Ries and Valli have since returned, but Newman remains on the nine-game injured list and has one more to sit out before he can return. Meanwhile, Hameister-Ries has missed action due to ongoing knee and back troubles. Although Normans departure, expected for months, will pose challenges, he will go with the blessing of coach Benevides and general manager Wally Buono. "What matters really, when you take a look at it, is what the man wants," said Benevides. "Its what the individual wants." Such talk is not what one would expect from coaches, who usually stress the needs of the team above everything else. But Benevides said it is important to support Normans decision and let him go, because he is doing something that he really believes in "for the right reasons." "Hes one of us," said Benevides. "Hes part of our family, and well bring him back when hes done what he has to do." Norman said it wont be easy to leave, because he has had "amazing" experiences, progressed as a player and built strong relationships with his teammates. He hates the idea of having to sit and watch his former Western Ontario team, which he plans to help coach, as well as the Lions, but still believes its time to go. After he plays one more CFL game. "Honestly, Im not really approaching it in any different way," he said. "Mentally, its the same and the same as anything I do in life. I take it one day at a time. So Ill focus on football this week and then, when footballs over, I just have to go on to the next thing." Notes: Fridays game is the first of back-to-back contests between the Lions and Alouettes. The clubs will meet again Sept. 8 at B.C. Place. ... Lions centre Angus Reid returned to practice after sitting out Monday with a foot injury suffered in Saturdays win over Winnipeg. He is expected to play against the Als. ... Lions defensive lineman Maurice Evans, who replaced Mitchell against the Blue Bombers, will remain on the roster rather than being returned to the practice roster, but he could be scratched, said Benevides. ... Former Lions middle linebacker Solomon Elimimian returned to Vancouver after being released by the NFLs Minnesota Vikings on the weekend. He is currently within a 10-day window for other NFL clubs to sign him before the option year of his Lions contract kicks in. cheap jerseys from china ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes