Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

" the statement said. "That said, what we did on S...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

" the statement said. "That said, what we did on Sept. 14 was exactly

Started by wff0605, 2014/07/13 03:24AM
Latest post: 2014/07/13 03:24AM, Views: 280, Posts: 1
" the statement said. "That said, what we did on Sept. 14 was exactly
#1   2014/07/13 03:24AM
wff0605
WINNIPEG -- Mike Kelly is on the road to redemption. The former Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach confirmed Thursday hes trying to get his foot back in the Canadian Football League door on a coaching or personnel level. "Im going about my business behind the scenes and letting the cards fall where they may," Kelly said in Winnipeg after being a guest speaker at the Premier Football Factory skills and development camp. "Im not yelling and screaming, Somebody please hire me. I dont want to come off like that. My point is, I have a great passion for the CFL and would like to work in the league again." Kelly, 54, was fired by the Bombers in December 2009 after a controversial rookie season as head coach. His outspoken ways often landed him in hot water with fans, the media and CFL brass and a 7-11 record didnt help matters. Even his firing was dramatic. Just hours after Lyle Bauer resigned as the clubs president and CEO on Dec. 17, it was discovered Kelly had been charged that morning in an alleged domestic dispute with his ex-girlfriend at his Pennsylvania home. After an emergency board meeting that evening, then-chairman Ken Hildahl announced the Bombers were firing Kelly and it had nothing to do with his legal trouble. The charges were later dropped and the record of it expunged. "I know I have to rebuild myself and reprove myself," Kelly said. "I understand that I have to take a step back in order to move forward and Im more than willing to do that, but I think I bring a breadth of knowledge to whatever position I have and an understanding of how to run an organization in this league." Kelly lived in Winnipeg until last August, when he got a job as offensive co-ordinator for the varsity football team at Mariner High School in Cape Coral, Fla. Hes also teaching some physical education and drivers education courses. The young team, which had a Grade 10 starting quarterback, went 3-7, but were competitive in all but two games, said Kelly, whos in Winnipeg visiting friends during the holidays. The new level of coaching was challenging and refreshing, yet he wants to get back to the professional ranks and has his agent, Terry Ray, beating the bushes. He did a phone interview with the search firm looking to hire a general manager for the Edmonton Eskimos, a job that went to Ed Hervey last month. Kelly was Edmontons receivers coach before he got the Blue Bombers head-coaching job, which he called his "dream job." Hed been Winnipegs offensive co-ordinator from 1992-96. A few CFL teams currently have vacancies. "I still have a lot of friends in the league," Kelly said. "I do believe that people appreciate my football abilities. I think where there is some apprehension is the negative media reaction if I was hired, and I understand that. But I think time heals all. "And I think if theres anything negative put out there, I think itll be a 20-minute blip and its all over with and we move on. All Im looking for is somebody to just believe in me again because at one time I did have a pretty good reputation in this league." Ottawa is expected to have its new franchise playing in 2014 so there would be an entire staff to put together there. "I enjoy coaching and being with the players and that dynamic, but I do think I can bring somebody a pretty good background in upper management and finding players," Kelly said. League official and former CFL defensive back Dave Donaldson had Kelly coach at his Premier Football Factory camp the past two years and he was glad he could speak to the kids this week. Kelly talked to the players aged 9-18 about making the right choices, whether thats about the people they associate with or what they say or do. "We all make bad choices and we make bad decisions, but we also make good choices and good decisions so we all deserve a second chance in life," Donaldson said. "I dont think Mike murdered anybody. I dont really know the specifics of his past, I just know he was good at our camp and very helpful to the kids and he showed great mentorship." Kelly said hes "smart enough" to learn from his mistakes. "When I talk about mistakes, I think I go directly to my not taking a breath before answering some questions in public circles," he said. "I think the biggest thing that keeps me going is that all the coaches that worked with me, that I had brought in here from other places, all say that if I ever got another opportunity theyd work with me again. That tells me that I was doing the right things organizationally." Official CFL Jerseys . The sixth-seeded Czech Zahlavova Strycova got past Canadas own Marie-Eve Pelletier 7-6 (7-2), 6-1 on the indoor carpet at PEPS Laval University. Zahlavova Strycova defeated New Zealands Marina Erakovic in last years Quebec City finale. Authentic CFL Jerseys . - Pizza delivery, courtesy of Jeff Francoeur. http://www.cflofficial.ca/ . -- Another 15-inning marathon, another victory. HALIFAX -- The president of Dalhousie University in Halifax has upheld a decision to suspend most of the schools womens hockey team after a hazing incident. Senior players met Monday with Tom Traves and asked him to reverse the suspensions, which has forced the team to forfeit its season. But the university said Wednesday that Traves was unswayed by the teams plea. "Following discussion at the meeting, Dr. Traves agreed to further consider their comments," said the statement. "Dr. Traves has now confirmed that the decision to suspend the players, other than the first year players, stands." All but the teams rookie players were suspended Jan. 3 after the university investigated allegations of hazing at a private house party last September. Dalhousie University has said the party involved excessive drinking, intimidation and humiliation, but wont elaborate because of privacy issues. Players have accused the university of overreacting, saying no players were harmed during the evening or forced to take part in any activities. The team has said rookies were dressed up in "odd clothing" and were asked to eat sardines, hot peppers and whipped cream. It said although there were drinking games, no one was forced to drink alcohol. The team has also been critical of the way the university handled its investigatiion, alleging the school was aggressive and unfairly interrogated players.dddddddddddd The squad said Wednesday it is exploring its options with lawyer Ronald Pink, who could not be reached for comment. The team also released a copy of its remarks to Traves from Mondays meeting, in which it suggested alternate penalties, including performing 50 hours of community service. The players apologized for the party and conceded that the universitys hazing policy was violated. However, the statement goes on to say that players were unaware of the policy until last week and are still not sure what they did wrong. "We have already apologized to the rookies and to others affected," the statement said. "That said, what we did on Sept. 14 was exactly what was done to us, and what we have done each year over the past four years." Former team captain Liz Matheson could not be reached for comment. Dalhousie says it has a zero-tolerance policy on student hazing both on and off campus. The schools policy says "hazing or initiation can be in the form of voluntary or involuntary actions that relate to subjecting newcomers to degrading, embarrassing or abusive actions or activities." Coaches are required to inform teams of the policy, but the statement from the womens hockey team says that never happened. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes