Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

in Gomezs path. But Kloses fitness problems have g...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

in Gomezs path. But Kloses fitness problems have given Gomez an opportunity. "Its ne

Started by amy11, 2014/03/05 05:42AM
Latest post: 2014/03/05 05:42AM, Views: 360, Posts: 1
in Gomezs path. But Kloses fitness problems have given Gomez an opport...
#1   2014/03/05 05:42AM
amy11
ARCADIA, Calif. -- Worth Repeating, whose owners include New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, and two other horses were scratched from their respective Breeders Cup races on Friday at Santa Anita. Worth Repeating wont run in the $500,000 Marathon; Sustained is out of the $1 million Juvenile Fillies Turf; and Super Ninety Nine wont run in the $500,000 Juvenile Sprint, with all three races to be run later in the day. Trainer Mike Machowsky said Worth Repeating wasnt quite right after training on Thursday and was checked again by a vet on Friday. He said the 6-year-old horse wasnt 100 per cent and he wont run him in that condition. Brees is part of the Donkey Island Racing LLC group that owns Worth Repeating. Sustaineds defection allows Ireland-based Infanta Branca into the Juvenile Fillies Turf. Trainer Dale Romans said Sustained had been bothered by a right front hoof bruise, which flared up again Friday and resulted in the decision to drop out. Trainer Bob Baffert said Super Ninety Nine got tangled in his stall early Friday morning and sustained scrapes. "It is really too bad," said Baffert, whose Breeders Cup entries were reduced from 10 to nine. "He was going to win that race, and it was his owners first horse -- her very first horse and her very first Breeders Cup." www.nbaofficial.com . No, its not Dwight Howard. The Rockets announced Tuesday that Turkish big man Omer Asik is headed to Houston after the Chicago Bulls decided not to match their three-year, $25 million offer sheet.GDANSK, Poland -- Mario Gomez was seconds away from becoming a footnote at a third straight major tournament. Now hes in the spotlight. Gomez scored for Germany in a 1-0 victory over Portugal in their European Championship opener on Saturday, moments before he was due to be substituted by Miroslav Klose. Klose was on the touchline, ready to come on as soon as the fourth official gave the sign. Instead, Gomez headed in a deflected cross and nearly scored another before finally being replaced by Klose. "It was the most beautiful and important goal of my Germany career. I wanted to pay back the coach for his trust in me," Gomez said Monday. Gomez was aware that Klose was waiting on the touchline. "I saw him but I knew that I still had one more chance," he said. With Klose still lacking match sharpness after playing little since March because of a thigh injury and back problems, Gomez was picked to start ahead of coach Joachim Loews preferred striker in recent years. Loew led reporters to believe Klose would be his first choice. "By now, you should know that I like to spring a surprise every now and then, that I am unpredictable," Loew said. The choice was logical, however, in view of Kloses struggles to get fit at age 34 and Gomezs performances this season. Saying that "a coach is not an idiot," Loew said he had the insight of watching players in training and bbeing close to them every day.dddddddddddd He also acted on his gut feeling. "Mario did not have the ideal game, but he did his defensive duties well and he scored the winner," Loew said. Gomez was expected to make his international breakthrough at the 2008 Euros, only to be remembered for a glaring miss from one meter out in the must-win group match against Austria. He also failed to play a major role at the 2010 World Cup. "Everyone knows that my last two tournaments were not that great. But Ive developed a lot over the last two years and Ive scored many goals," Gomez said. Gomez has scored 54 Bundesliga goals over the past two seasons. He added 12 in the Champions League this season -- the most after Lionel Messi -- to lead Bayern Munich to the final where it lost to Chelsea. Kloses record of 63 goals in 117 matches for Germany, however, is a big obstacle in Gomezs path. But Kloses fitness problems have given Gomez an opportunity. "Its never been that close between us, never so difficult for the coach to choose between us," Gomez said, adding that he got along well with Klose in private. Gomez could now expect to remain the starting forward -- unless Loew pulls another surprise when Germany plays the Netherlands in Group B in Kharkiv, Ukraine, on Wednesday. "I dont say, Never change a winning team. I am not ruling out some changes," Loew said. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes