Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

basketball shoes - Kid Rock is his old genre-mixin...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

basketball shoes - Kid Rock is his old genre-mixing self on his new disc, which drops Tuesday

Started by zrainire, 2012/11/19 09:01PM
Latest post: 2012/11/19 09:01PM, Views: 516, Posts: 1
basketball shoes - Kid Rock is his old genre-mixing self on his new di...
#1   2012/11/19 09:01PM
zrainire
Kid Rock, it turns out, was itching for a little more Kid Rock.
In 2010, the Detroit musician had taken a marked detour with "Born Free," which saw him turning 40 and trying a more pensive brand of Midwest rock.
But the biggest departure came with the mindset: relinquishing control. Kid Rock, the self-made star and musical perfectionist, had handed the reigns -- and veto power -- to

producer Rick Rubin.
With the self-produced "Rebel Soul," due Monday, Rock is back in a comfy spot -- "mixing stuff together, doing the genre-hopping, just being myself."
? TRACKS: Kid Rock's 'Rebel Soul,' track by track
"That's always been the most fun for me, since my early records," says Rock. "As much as I loved 'Born Free,' and basketball shoes

learned so much doing it, it was more a representation of where Rick Rubin saw me going. Not where I saw myself. I just like being me."
Rock is quick to emphasize that he loved the Rubin experience. The two remain close friends, and Rock says he could even see them pairing again down the road.
"Rebel Soul," in Rock's go-to description, is "a greatest-hits album of new songs," an amalgam of Southern rock (the title track), red-white-and-blue salutes ("Let's Ride"),

slinky hip-hop ("Cucci Galore") and a hometown tribute ("Detroit, Michigan"). Festive and upbeat, it finds Rock in a more optimistic frame of mind -- one he retains even in the

wake of defeat for Mitt Romney, the presidential candidate he backed with several campaign performances.
" 'Born Free' was a reflection of the times -- the economy, everything going on in lebron james shoes our city and all over

the world, really," he says. "Now it seems there's some sort of feeling of hope and relief and just ... you know what? We're going to put it behind us, we're going to work hard,

and when I come to town, we're going to have a good time. That's what my hope is."
It may be hard to grasp in a town where he seems omnipresent, but 2012 was one of Kid Rock's most low-profile stretches in years. He played just a handful of live dates around

the country (including one private show in Detroit), spending his time buried in the new record, quietly engaged with the local philanthropy work that increasingly occupies his

world.
March brought a new distraction: a waterfront home in Detroit's Berry subdivision, near the Manoogian mayoral mansion. The handsome Southern Colonial house became an escape pad

for the Clarkston resident, scene of summer parties and weekends with the Jet Skis. For Rock, whose favorite leisure destination had been the south of France, east-side Detroit

was new basketball shoes now a handy vacation spot.
Rock calls the house "a perfect starting step" as he contemplates migrating his business operations into the city from Clarkston, including the Made in Detroit merchandise line.
"It seemed like Gilbert and Karmanos and Penske and Ilitch kind of had the downtown area handled. I was like, maybe I'll try to spark some enthusiasm and move into a

neighborhood."
Meanwhile, his absence from big Detroit concert stages was very much calculated by Rock and his team, alert to the threat of oversaturation. After years of summer shows and

stadium spectaculars, 2012 was a time to let the hometown market breathe, says Rock, citing what he calls "the oldest trick in show business: Always leave 'em wanting more."
You get the sense he also just needed a break. Rock says his grand productions are physically and mentally taxing before he even steps onstage.
"I put so much into those Detroit shows, even my birthday and stuff like that," he says. "The hours I spend pulling my hair out ... it's just hard work. Which I'm not afraid of.

But it was kind of like, 'You know, I've worked very hard. Just chill for a summer.' "
He's already back in hair-pulling mode, booked to perform Thursday at halftime of the Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving game, where he'll play the new "Detroit, Michigan." Rock vows

something even bigger than his 2010 show at the same event, which featured 1,000 extras.
"This stuff doesn't just happen. It's a lot of mornings waking up early and tossing in bed, running through it in your cheap nba

shoes mind and trying to get it to execute," he says. "When you see this Thanksgiving production, it's not like a band just coming out and playing."
"Rebel Soul" is Rock's seventh studio album with Atlantic Records, and likely to follow the others to platinum status. But despite all his success, Rock still regards himself as

a maverick fighting for his way, two decades after learning the music-biz ropes with his Top Dog operation in a Royal Oak basement.
He blasts the music establishment for "being so scared to try something different," reliant on market research and spreadsheet reports. Rock seeks room to maneuver. Last year he

ditched Vector Management, the Nashville mega-firm that had administered his business since 2007, and enlisted Lee Trink, a former Atlantic executive, as full-time manager.
Tour details are expected in coming days, and Rock says he'll spend 2013 "hitting it hard all year" on tour after kicking off Feb. 1. He's already got the live show sketched out

in his head.
And Rock hopes to reprise the Detroit blowout concert that has been a fixture on the hometown calendar in recent years, including shows at Comerica Park in 2011 and 2009.
"We've definitely got something up our sleeves, and we'll see if I can pull a rabbit out of my hat," he says, adding with a laugh: "So far I've been successful. But these

rabbits are getting pretty big."
Contact Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 or bmccollumfreepress
More Details: Kid Rock
?Rebel Soul?
(Atlantic)
In stores Monday

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes