Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

for par. He settled for a bogey and figured there ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

for par. He settled for a bogey and figured there would a playoff si

Started by wff0605, 2014/09/18 10:18AM
Latest post: 2014/09/18 10:18AM, Views: 466, Posts: 1
for par. He settled for a bogey and figured there would a playoff si
#1   2014/09/18 10:18AM
wff0605
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Pirates are all-in as they chase the franchises first playoff appearance in 21 years. . Pittsburgh traded for longtime Minnesota Twins first baseman Justin Morneau on Saturday, hoping the four-time All Star can give the Pirates middling offence a jolt heading into the final month of the season. "We felt that this move gives us a better chance to play in October, a better chance to win the division, a better chance to advance in October," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. The Twins obtained outfielder Alex Presley and either a player to be named or cash in Pittsburghs second major move in a week. The Pirates sent a pair of minor leaguers to the New York Mets on Tuesday in exchange for outfielder Marlon Byrd and catcher John Buck. "Weve got more depth, weve got more options than we had four days ago," Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said. "Were a better team. Were a stronger team." Pittsburgh entered Saturday tied with St. Louis atop the NL Central with 29 games remaining. The Pirates have been in contention all season thanks in large part to a pitching staff currently second in the majors with a 3.17 ERA. Morneaus presence could have an immediate impact on an offence that ranks 10th in the NL in runs. The 32-year-old New Westminster, B.C., native hit .259 with 17 homers and 74 RBIs this season for Minnesota and is finishing off a red-hot month in which he smacked nine home runs. "I think hes found some ways to spark some things offensively in the second half," Hurdle said. The Pirates will pick up the remaining portion of Morneaus $14 million salary, estimated at around $2 million. Its not an insignificant investment for an ownership group that has sometimes shied away from paying the tab for proven players. Yet with Pittsburgh on the cusp of its first winning season since 1992, Huntington worked aggressively after the non-waiver trade deadline to give the Pirates the pieces they need to remain in a tight three-team divisional race with St. Louis and Cincinnati. "We made Clints job a little bit easier," Huntington said. "Hes got a number of weapons at his disposal now." While Huntington believes hell be "mocked" for thinking the Pirates are true World Series contenders, he and Hurdle made a compelling case to Morneau, who had to OK the trade that ends a sometimes spectacular 11 seasons in Minnesota. Morneau won the 2006 AL MVP award and was one of the best hitters in the game until a concussion knocked him out of action in 2010. Still, he remained one of the cornerstones of the Twins clubhouse. His departure is another emotional low point in a disappointing season. "I have great respect for Morny," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He was our leader. He set the table. If there was something that needed to be said, he stepped up." While Morneaus numbers have tailed off the last three years, his power should play better at PNC Park compared to cavernous Target Field. Its just 320 feet from home plate to the right-field wall at PNC, an inviting target for left-handed sluggers. The Pirates had Morneaus No. 36 jersey ready minutes after the trade was announced and Hurdle held out hope Morneau would make it to the clubhouse in time for Saturday nights game against the Cardinals. Whenever Morneau arrives, hell give a club reaching heights not seen in a generation another proven bat and more than an ounce of legitimacy. And hell do it while taking away at-bats from longtime friend Garrett Jones. Jones has spent most of the season platooning with Gaby Sanchez at first and broke out of a lengthy slump by going 3 for 4 with a home run and four RBIs in Pittsburghs 5-0 win over the Cardinals on Friday. Now hell likely be moved to the bench or spot duty in the outfield. Playing behind Morneau is nothing new for Jones. He was a prospect in Minnesotas farm system for years but couldnt break into the majors on a regular basis with Morneau entrenched at first. Jones called Morneau "a friend" and understands why the Pirates pursued him. Until Friday, Jones was hitting just .119 in August. "When were winning and we know we can get a good player, sometimes youve got to suck it up and know whats best for the team," Jones said. "Hopefully I can still continue to get in there and play and contribute." [url=http://www.nhlpenguinshockeystore.com/black-14-chris-kunitz-womens-jersey/]... Kunitz Jersey . Dan Boyles third-period goal lifted the San Jose Sharks to a 3-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks in the first game of their Western Conference quarter-final series Wednesday night. http:... Jersey/ . -- Matt Pickens reached a personal milestone while shutting down Chivas USA. http://www.cheapnfljerseysbest.us/ . Calgary recently posted an 0-2-2 mark on a winless four-game homestand. The Flames, who are just 12-14-7 as the guest this year, will visit Anaheim tomorrow to complete a brief two-game road trip. Chicago Blackhawks Jersey . Nene chipped in 12 points, 12 rebounds and six assists for the Nuggets, who have a magic number of one to secure a postseason berth. They are currently fifth in the Western Conference, 2 1/2 games up on Portland. cheap jerseys . With an NBA record-tying 10 blocked shots, the 7-foot All-Star centre put the Lakers on the good foot -- and the Denver Nuggets on their heels. Kobe Bryant scored 31 points, Bynum posted the Lakers first playoff triple-double in 21 years, and Los Angeles thoroughly controlled the tempo in a playoff-opening 103-88 victory Sunday. ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- Jamie Donaldson won the Abu Dhabi Championship by 1 shot on Sunday for the biggest victory of his career, with Justin Rose narrowly missing a birdie putt on the 18th which would have forced a playoff. Roses eight-foot putt rimmed out of the hole, giving the Welshman his second European Tour victory after a final round 68 for an overall 14-under 274. Rose (71) threw his club up in the air in frustration while Donaldson flashed a relieved smile. Rose shared second with Thorbjorn Olesen (69) of Denmark, who also failed to force a playoff on the 18th when his 15-foot birdie putt rolled past the hole. Olesen, playing with Rose, had putted first. "Awesome," said Donaldson, sitting next to the tournament trophy. "It was a tough field, brutal golf course ... to sit here is quite surreal. " It was fifth-ranked Roses tournament to lose. The Englishman had a two-shot lead over Donaldson and Olesen and led all week, hitting greens and making timely putts. But he was shaky from the start on Sunday, scrambling early to save pars and then hitting errant drives on Nos. 5, 11 and 16 that led to bogeys, while finding it difficult to read the greens. "It was definitely hard work today," Rose said. "You want to close out with a chance to win when you have it and (I) didnt do that today. But I didnt do a lot wrong either." Roses struggles opened the door for Donaldson as well as several other players including Olesen and David Howell of England. Howell struck first. Trailing by four shots coming into Sunday, he ran off five birdies, including one on the 10th when his approach shot spun back toward the hole. He sank it for a one-shot lead over Rose and Donaldson but missed three putts within five feet to triple bogey No. 13. He never recovered. "I felt good out there and the most annoying thing was I thought I hit a beautiful shot to the 13th. It just came up four or five yards short of where I thought it was going to go and it all went wrong from there," said Howelll, who is ranked 258th after fighting injuries for several years. Ma... Goc Jersey. Olesen also made an early run with a string of birdies to draw level with Rose, only to fall back when he hit a drive on the sixth into deep rough and had to take a drop when his second ended up in bush. He settled for a double-bogey, only to put himself back into contention with three birdies on the back nine including a clutch birdie putt on No. 17. "I started out a little bit shaky, I hit a few bad shots on the second and third, but then came back strong," said the Dane, who could have broken into the top 50 with a win. "Unfortunately I got a bad lie in the rough and hit a bad shot which cost me a double bogey which put me a little bit behind." The 47th-ranked Donaldson, who only won his first tournament last year in his 268th European Tour event, started off with a birdie and grabbed another on the ninth. He missed a 3-footer for birdie on the 10th but rebounded to collect a birdie on No. 11 for his first lead of the tournament. He gave himself some breathing room when he sank a 20-footer for birdie on the 14th and a 15-footer on the 15th. After Rose hit a drive into the trees for a bogey on No. 16, followed by a missed 12-foot birdie putt on the 17th, it seemed Donaldson had secured the victory. But the Welshman didnt make it easy for himself. He missed a long birdie putt on the final hole and then a five-footer for par. He settled for a bogey and figured there would a playoff since he only led by one. "It was annoying to finish like that," Donaldson said. "But you need a little luck sometimes in golf to win." After struggling for years with a back injury, Donaldson began to break through in 2012, making the top 50 and finishing 19th in the Race To Dubai. "Confidence is very high at the moment," Donaldson said. "After this win and after a great season last year, I certainly dont put any limits on where we can go from here ... My goal has always been very high, sometimes too high." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes