Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

review to assist umpires in 2008, but only to deci...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

review to assist umpires in 2008, but only to decide whether

Started by wff0605, 2014/08/21 03:19AM
Latest post: 2014/08/21 03:19AM, Views: 378, Posts: 1
review to assist umpires in 2008, but only to decide whether
#1   2014/08/21 03:19AM
wff0605
ANAHEIM, Calif. cheap jerseys . -- Coach Bruce Boudreaus shortened debut season with the Anaheim Ducks was good enough to keep him around for a whole lot longer. The Ducks signed Boudreau to a two-year contract extension Thursday, locking up their respected coach through the 2014-15 season. Anaheim rewarded Boudreau for reviving the struggling Ducks after he replaced Stanley Cup-winning coach Randy Carlyle, who was fired Nov. 30. The Ducks went 27-23-8 under Boudreau, compiling one of the NHLs best records after the all-star break. "This team, weve just started going where we want to go," Boudreau said. "If we had started a little bit earlier, anything could have happened. These playoff teams, we competed with all these teams, going tooth and nail." After a lifetime spent mostly on the East Coast, the Toronto native is finally getting used to Californias sunshine and warmth as well. "Its certainly nice waking up every morning," Boudreau said with a chuckle. "Being an East Coast guy my whole life, I didnt know what it would be like. It was a lot easier to come to work every day than I thought it would be. I used to think, How do they do it every day?" Two days before he took over in Anaheim, Boudreau was fired by the Washington Capitals, who won the 2010 Presidents Trophy and made the playoffs four times during his four years in charge, but had little post-season success. Boudreau also won the 2008 Jack Adams Award as the NHLs top coach. He is 228-111-48 in his NHL coaching career with Anaheim and Washington, winning 200 games faster than any coach in modern league history. He earned 184 wins in his first 300 NHL games, the most by any coach in league history. Boudreau has been busy since the Ducks season ended, taking in minor-league games and doing player evaluation while also spending time on Canadian television. The affable coach seems to be a broadcasting natural, but said hes "glad thats not my day job." During his media blitz, Boudreau picked Los Angeles, the Ducks Freeway Faceoff rivals, to make the Stanley Cup finals after seeing the Kings determination late in the season. Hes conflicted about how hell feel if the Kings advance past Phoenix to the finals -- particularly if they face the Capitals, who play a decisive Game 7 in the second round against the New York Rangers on Friday. Washington never got out of the second round during four seasons under Boudreau despite winning four straight Southeast Division titles. "A new team is going to be in the Stanley Cup final for the first time in a long time (out of the West), and thats great for hockey," Boudreau said. "Im happy in the sense that I think itll grow hockey in Southern California with the attention (if the Kings advance)," Boudreau added. "For me, its really important for the growth of the game. But Ive got to be honest, I dont think Im going to sit here and say Im happy theyre going to win." cheap jerseys . -- Jiyai Shin needed only 20 minutes Monday to do what she couldnt in eight hours a day earlier. cheap jerseys . Unfortunately for the Canadians, so did opposing goaltender Tobias Stephan. Stephan made 50 saves and HC Geneve-Servette capitalized on its chances in a 6-5 semifinal win over defending champion Canada. http://www.cheapjerseysfreeshipping... . The Philadelphia goaltender posted 41 saves as he backstopped the Flyers to a comeback 4-3 shootout win over the Vancouver Canucks. [url=http://www.bootiedock.com/]jerseys from china . Lampard set Chelsea on its way to a 2-0 victory over former club West Ham, while Dimitar Berbatov also punished his old team as Fulham inflicted Tottenhams second successive loss with a 1-0 victory. jerseys from china . Santana threw the first solo no-hitter for the Angels in nearly 27 years and exacted some long overdue revenge, leading Los Angeles over the Indians 3-1 Wednesday.BOSTON -- No need for instant replay. The umpires overturned this blown call on their own. After Dustin Pedroia was called out on a phantom force play in the first inning of the World Series opener, second base umpire Dana DeMuth was reversed by the other five members of his crew. Three pitches later, Mike Napoli lined a cutter to the gap in left-centre field for a go-ahead three-run double, and the Boston Red Sox coasted to an 8-1 rout over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night. Nine years after they reversed the Curse, the Red Sox succeeded in reversing a key Series call. "You rarely see that," Napoli said before adding, "especially on a stage like this." Jacoby Ellsbury had walked leading off the first, and Pedroia had singled with one out. David Ortiz followed with a slow bouncer to second baseman Matt Carpenter that had an outside chance of being turned into an inning-ending double play. Carpenter made a routine 30-foot backhand flip to Pete Kozma in plenty of time for the out. But as the shortstop approached second base, the ball bounced off the edge of his gloves webbing and fell to the ground. DeMuth called Pedroia out on a force, indicating the ball was dropped by Kozma while making the transfer to his throwing hand. "It was just one of those plays. He gave me a good feed and I just missed it," Kozma said. Red Sox manager John Farrell jogged out from the dugout out to argue. "I think were fully accepting of the neighbourhood play, but my view is that it wasnt even that," he said. "There was really no entry into the glove with the ball." All six umpires huddled near shortstop for 30 seconds to discuss the play as Farrell looked on from the infield grass. "Typically theyre probably going to stand pat with the decision thats made in the moment," Farrell said. Kozma believed he established sufficient possession. "I had enough," he said. And then crew chief John Hirschbeck then wallked toward the Cardinals dugout on the third-base side, motioning with his left hand for Cardinals manager Mike Matheny to come out. wholesale jerseys. He told him that Pedroia was being called safe, and Matheny spent 1 1/2 minutes arguing to no avail, repeatedly jabbing his right index finger in the air. "Thats not a play Ive ever seen before," Matheny said. "And Im pretty sure there were six umpires on the field that had never seen that play before either. Its a pretty tough time to debut that overruled call in the World Series. Now, I get that trying to get the right call. I get that. Tough one to swallow." DeMuth admitted he got it wrong. "I stayed with the foot too long. Thats how I ended up getting in trouble," he said. "And when I was coming up, all I could see was a hand coming out and the ball on the ground. All right? So I was assuming." When he saw his crewmates converging on him, DeMuth knew he had made a mistake. "Its an awful feeling, yeah. Especially when Im sure I have the right call," he said. Hirschbeck said in the end it wasnt a difficult decision for the crew. "When I hear all five of us say we are 100 per cent, then I say, OK, we need to change this. Its as simple as that," he said. Major League Baseball started using video review to assist umpires in 2008, but only to decide whether potential home runs went over fences or were fair balls. Under rules changes likely to be approved for next season, video will be used for virtually every call other than balls and strikes. Managers would be allowed one challenge over the first six innings and two from the seventh inning on. Officials in New York City would make the final ruling. Speaking softly in a corner of the cramped visitors clubhouse, Kozma seemed like a player who felt he had let his team down. "You saw what happened the rest of the night," he said. "If I catch that ball and turn that double play, it stays nothing-nothing." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes