Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

s, said Grassie. "I think if it gets into the Olym...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

s, said Grassie. "I think if it gets into the Olympics

Started by lili, 2014/06/09 04:36AM
Latest post: 2014/06/09 04:36AM, Views: 330, Posts: 1
s, said Grassie. "I think if it gets into the Olympics
#1   2014/06/09 04:36AM
lili
CALGARY -- The Calgary Stampeders signed linebacker Karl McCartney to a contract extension Tuesday. The 25-year-old McCartney, in his third season with Calgary, had a team-high 23 special-teams tackles in 2012 and added six more in the playoffs. McCartney, who played collegiately at Saint Marys and was a 2010 fifth-round draft pick, also recorded nine defensive tackles and a sack. "Our special teams were very strong in 2012 and Karl was a important contributor to that phase of the game," head coach/GM John Hufnagel said in a statement. "I look forward to seeing Karl continue to excel in that department and also to becoming more of an integral part of our defence." McCartney played in all 18 regular-season games and three playoff contests last year after being limited to eight appearances in 2011 due to injuries. He had a team-leading 19 special-teams tackles as a rookie in 2010. cheap coach handbags . Thome, a member of the 600-homer club, had been sidelined with a lower back strain since April 29. Hes just 2 for 18 in limited appearances, mainly as a pinch hitter. coach outlet .H. -- Jeff Gordon came into the media centre after winning the pole in New Hampshire and found that the moderator was not yet at his post. http://www.coachfactoryoutleto... . When the six-foot-six, 295-pound offensive tackle opted to return to the University of Calgary for a fifth and final year, it was to get his economics degree and keep a promise he made to his family. [url=http://www.coachfactoryoutletonlinesale.com/]coach factory outlet . Left-hander Wade LeBlanc will start Tuesday night against Milwaukee, pushing righty Jacob Turner back a day in a rotation that also includes Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Ricky Nolasco and Nathan Eovaldi. coach handbags outlet . Joseph started last week in place of Steven Jyles and went 17-of-27 for 311 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in a 31-30 loss to the Stampeders. CALGARY -- The Canadian Curling Association has no plans to do away with the 47-year-old mixed curling championship following the introduction of mixed doubles trials. The chief executive officer of the CCA says the annual Canadian mixed championship that has run since 1964, and features teams made up of two men and two women, will remain on the calendar. "The Canadian mixed fours continues on," Greg Stremlaw said Monday from Ottawa. A new mixed doubles trials March 14-17, 2013, in Leduc, Alta., will determine Canadas representative at the world mixed doubles championship April 13-20 in Fredericton, N.B. Teams are made up one male and one female in mixed doubles. Its a relatively new curling event and one the World Curling Federation wants to see in the Winter Olympics by 2018. Switzerland has won four of the five world doubles championships to date. Previously, the four curlers who won the Canadian mixed championship elected a male and female from their team to play in the world mixed doubles. Now, the mixed foursome that prevails Nov. 15-24 in Mont-Royal, Que., will break into two pairings and join 30 other Canadian teams at doubles trials in Leduc. "It eliminates the problem of deciding who gets to go from the winning team that wins the nationals, which is not easy having to choose two players," said Winnipegs Sean Grassie, who won world doubles bronze with Allison Nimik in 2009. "Thats definitely the best part about it." But Grassie isnt enthusiastic about having so many teams able to enter the Canadian trials. The 14 provinces and territories will each choose a team to represent them, but the remaining 16 entries will be open invitations. A teams participation will be ddecided by their ranking on the CCAs order of merit.dddddddddddd Stremlaw says residency rules wont apply, so a male from Ontario could conceivably team up with a female from B.C. "I couldnt really call this a true national championship if teams can have curlers from different provinces and dont have to qualify to get in," Grassie explained. "That part I dont like about it. "If you keep it every province represented, and I dont mind including two teams that win nationals as a reward, I dont have a problem with that." In mixed doubles, games are eight ends instead of 10. Each team has six stones to throw with one positioned on the centre line before every end of play. One player throws the first and last stones while the other throws the second, third and fourth. Both team members can sweep the stones. If the International Olympic Committee accepts mixed doubles into the Winter Games, Canada needs curlers who specialize in the event, Stremlaw said. "We feel the latest mechanism will do a better job of producing consistent podium results," he said. He expects the IOC to decide on the 2018 Winter Games program in late 2013 or early 2014. Canadas elite curlers only play mixed doubles in the Continental Cup of Curling, which is a Ryder-Cup-style curling competition between North America and Europe. Olympic inclusion could encourage more clubs and curlers to participate in mixed doubles, said Grassie. "I think if it gets into the Olympics, it will get more exposure," he stated. "Its not a bad idea for clubs if theyre looking to fill some empty sheets because the game goes by so fast and you can play in an hour and you only need two players." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes