Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

the top three seeds in the Western Conference. The...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

the top three seeds in the Western Conference. The

Started by lili, 2014/06/07 10:49PM
Latest post: 2014/06/07 10:49PM, Views: 360, Posts: 1
the top three seeds in the Western Conference. The
#1   2014/06/07 10:49PM
lili
NEW YORK -- The Yankees and Ichiro Suzuki finalized a $13 million, two-year contract Wednesday that keeps the 10-time All-Star in the Bronx. The 39-year-old, who will make $6.5 million in each of the next two seasons, was obtained in a trade with Seattle on July 23, revived his career and quickly became a fan favourite. His batting average jumped from .261 with the Mariners to .322 with the Yankees, with five homers, 27 RBIs and 14 steals. "The Yankees are the kind of team that I always envisioned being a part of," Suzuki said in a statement released by the team. "Everyone in the world of competition has a strong desire to win, but the Yankees also have an atmosphere where losing is not an option. These two observations may sound similar, but I believe it is a rarity to find both coexisting in the same organization." A 10-time Gold Glove outfielder with speed and a strong arm, Suzuki has 2,606 hits in 12 major league seasons. He figures to see corner outfield time, with the Yankees allowing right Nick Swisher to become a free agent. "I believe the Yankees organization appreciates that there is a difference between a 39-year-old who has played relying only on talent, and a 39-year-old who has prepared, practiced, and thought thoroughly through many experiences for their craft. I am very thankful, and I will do my best to deliver on their expectations," he said. New York opened a roster spot by designating right-hander Jim Miller for assignment. Suzuki raises the Yankees payroll next year to $182 million for 13 players with agreements. wholesale jerseys . Lopez broke serve just once, but hit nine of his 14 aces in the final set to advance at the clay-court event. Sixth-seeded Julien Benneteau of France was eliminated after slumping to a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 loss to Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria. cheap nfl jerseys . The Daily News reported Thursday that there were rumours in Major League Baseball and New York banking circles that the Steinbrenner family "is exploring the possibility of selling the Yankees. http://www.tradechinajerseys.com/ . The Spurs announced the move Friday without disclosing terms. The 6-foot Australian was signed by the Spurs on March 27. cheap jerseys from china . -- Mark Jackson received a congratulatory text message from Hall of Famer Reggie Miller that might have seemed a bit strange after his Golden State Warriors grinded out a win against the Western Conferences worst team. wholesale nfl jerseys .Y. -- James Southerland enjoys shooting the basketball.NEWARK, N.J. -- With Martin Brodeur nearing his 40th birthday and entering the final year of his contract, this season at first had the look of a last hurrah for the New Jersey Devils goalie great. Well, the hurrah part was right. Its been one hurrah after another, reaching a high point Friday night. Brodeur made 33 saves to help the Devils defeat the rival New York Rangers 3-2 in overtime in Game 6 to advance to the Stanley Cup finals against the Los Angeles Kings. Game 1 will be Wednesday in New Jersey. After the Devils missed the playoffs last season for the first time since 1996, no one might have been put under the microscope more than Brodeur. Longtime president and general manager Lou Lamoriello certainly had questions to answer after the early-season stumble under new coach John MacLean, but Brodeur was the focal point after a so-so season nagged by injuries. Now at 40, hes back after outdueling Henrik Lundqvist in the first Eastern Conference finals between the teams since their memorable showdown in 1994. New York won that one in seven games with Stephane Matteau scoring the series-clincher in double overtime. Rookie Adam Henrique did the honours for New Jersey on Friday night with a shot from just about the same spot where Matteau scored, from the right edge of the crease. "Its been a lot of fun this season, playing on a really good team, and Im enjoying this ride," Brodeur said. "And I know what I can do, try to compete as hard as I can every night and try to give these guys a chance to win hockey games. And theyve been scoring a lot of goals for me in the playoffs so far, and its been great." Brodeur was the difference in the Devils wins in Games 5 and 6, when the Rangers controlled most of the play in the final two periods. "He was outstanding, all playoffs," Devils forward David Clarkson said. "He kept us in games, stood on his head. Its amazing to see what hes doing right now and our bench just feeds off it." Brodeur was at his best Friday with the game tied 2-all in the third period. He stopped a power-play shot by Brad Richards while prone on the ice and made a save on a shot by Artem Anisimov from between the circles. He also used his stick to poke check the ppuck off Anisimovs stick on a semi breakaway and again used his stick to deflect a pass from the boards by Carl Hagelin in the final minute of regulation just before it got to Marian Gaborik on the edge of the crease.dddddddddddd "Actually, it was fun," Brodeur said. "But at the end of the day, we were in a position that the next goal is going to win. So in my head, the overtime started in the third period. And thats the way I approached the third period coming in. So every save was important. Every shot that we took on Lundqvist was important." Lamoriello enjoyed it, too. Any win over the Rangers is a good one for Lou. "It was two competitive teams that worked very hard at their game and paid a price for success," Lamoriello said in a phone interview with The Associated Press on Saturday. "This was a very competitive series. Put aside the rivalry, it was a competitive series." He scoffed when asked about Brodeur performing so well at 40. He pointed out that some 30-year-old people act like they are 50, and vice versa. He said the same holds true for athletes, adding athleticism and genetics also play a part. "(Brodeur) is just a real thoroughbred athlete," Lamoriello said. "He loves the game. His mind is 100 per cent there and he feels good. Its Mariano Rivera." Brodeur refused to compare this Devils team to the ones that won Cups in 1995, 2000 and 03, or to the one that lost the Cup in seven games to Colorado in 2001. "Every team writes its own story," the Montreal native said. "I was fortunate to be part of great teams that had success, and I was part of great teams that didnt have success. ... Its not just a one-man show out there. A lot of guys are contributing, and theres a good feeling. But until you finish out these playoffs, well see then." Up next will be the Kings. They have posted a 12-2 record in beating Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix, the top three seeds in the Western Conference. The Devils were given Saturday and Sunday off while the coaches worked on their game plan. "They have played well at home and away and we just have to take a step back," Lamoriello said. "We havent seen much of them except the games on TV." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes