Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

e injury has improved daily and he expects - Off T...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

e injury has improved daily and he expects

Started by lili, 2014/05/25 06:59AM
Latest post: 2014/05/25 06:59AM, Views: 315, Posts: 1
e injury has improved daily and he expects
#1   2014/05/25 06:59AM
lili
PITTSBURGH - Ben Roethlisberger laid on the Heinz Field turf, convinced his left leg was broken. The Pittsburgh Steelers huddled around their franchise quarterback, concerned their promising season was in jeopardy. Not quite. Same old Big Ben. And same old Cleveland Browns. Roethlisberger added to his burgeoning reputation as one of the toughest players in the game by returning from a gruesome second-quarter sack to pass for 280 yards and two scores -- including a 79-yard strike to Antonio Brown with 2:52 remaining -- to lift the Steelers to a 14-3 victory Thursday night. "You cant say enough about our quarterback," Brown said. "Its amazing to play with a guy like that who exemplifies that type of toughness." Not that Roethlisberger felt particularly tough after getting his left leg caught underneath Clevelands Scott Paxson midway through the second quarter. "It was one of the most painful things I ever felt," Roethlisberger said. "It felt like the middle of my leg was just, cracked ... it felt like my foot was outside of my leg." He went to the locker-room for X-rays while veteran Charlie Batch tried to fill in. The X-rays showed no break and Roethlisberger returned. "Doctors said Just keep moving," Roethlisberger said. "As we kept going they said, Just keep moving because it literally felt like it was about to explode." Roethlisberger received a rousing ovation when he walked back onto the field to start the second half, though it was obvious he was in serious pain. He hobbled to the line of scrimmage, he tip-toed while handing the ball off and he grimaced while stepping up to throw. Yet he somehow completed 8 of 12 passes for 178 yards after the break, including the sealing touchdown to Brown, who caught the ball near midfield then beat Clevelands Mike Adams to the end zone. "Im proud of him and glad he scored because I wouldnt have been able to make it down there if we had to run another play," Roethlisberger said, laughing. Roethlisberger will have an MRI exam Friday to determine the extent of the damage. The Steelers have 10 days off before a game in San Francisco. Brown finished with five receptions for 151 yards and a score as the Steelers (10-3) won for the eighth time in their last nine games to move a half-game in front of Baltimore for the AFC North lead. Yet the night wont be remembered for Browns spectacular catch-and-run but Roethlisbergers John Wayne impersonation and Clevelands typical meltdown against its biggest rival. The Browns (4-9) lost for the 15th time in their last 16 games with the Steelers, though they had plenty of chances to pick up their first victory at Heinz in eight years. Colt McCoy passed for 209 yards but also threw two interceptions for the Browns (4-9), who lost for the 15th time in their last 16 meetings with the Steelers. McCoy left briefly in the fourth quarter after taking a crashing helmet-to-helmet hit from Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison. The second-year quarterback was scrambling out of trouble when he tucked the ball under his arm briefly as if to run. He pulled up as Harrison approach and flipped a short pass to Montario Hardesty just before Harrison smashed into him. McCoy laid on the field for several moments before making his way off. He refused to say whether he felt Harrisons hit was a cheap shot, but acknowledged that "it got me for a minute." Harrison, who has faced stiff fines in the past for hits against defenceless players, believes he didnt do anything wrong. "From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, hes considered a runner," Harrison said. "All the defenceless(ness) and liberties that a quarterback has in the pocket are gone and you can tackle him just as hes a running back. The hit wasnt late, so I really dont understand why it was called." Seneca Wallace filled in, leading the Browns to the Pittsburgh five-yard line. McCoy returned but he wasnt the same. He was flagged for intentional grounding on his first play back to push the ball back to the Pittsburgh 16. He tried to hit Mohamed Massaquoi in the end zone on the next snap, but Pittsburghs William Gay easily stepped in front of it for an interception. "I just didnt get enough on it, underthrew it and their guy made a nice play and that was basically the game," McCoy said. Pittsburghs defence gave a little but did not break, keeping McCoy winless against AFC North opponents in his brief career. Hes 0-8 against division rivals, though there was plenty of blame to go around. Cleveland receivers dropped several passes and running back Peyton Hillis managed just 25 yards on 10 carries. "You can look at the raw yardage and say, well, I dont know what kind of performance it was," Cleveland coach Pat Shurmur said. "But we kept them out of the end zone until that last big pass. Theres some things we can build on." Maybe, but they failed to take advantage on a night when the Steelers had trouble getting out of their own way. Twice in the first half Pittsburgh turned it over in the red zone. Hines Ward fumbled at the Cleveland 15 early in the second quarter to halt on Pittsburgh drive. The Steelers got it right back on Troy Polamalus first interception of the season. Polamalu returned the pick to the Cleveland 10. Following a false start penalty, Roethlisberger hit Heath Miller in the flat, but the ball came tumbling out after getting hit by Cleveland safety Joe Haden to squander another opportunity. The Browns were hardly better. McCoy appeared to score a touchdown on Clevelands opening possession, but the score was overturned by replay, which showed McCoys knee hitting the ground with the ball just short of the goal line. The Steelers stuffed the Browns on third down and Cleveland settled for Phil Dawsons 20-yard field goal. Pittsburgh appeared to be off to the races when Roethlisberger hit Jerricho Cotchery for an 11-yard score before injury changed things dramatically. Yet the Steelers survived again behind the play of one of the leagues toughest competitors. Roethlisberger has already played through a sprained left foot and a fractured right thumb this season, though the pain paled in comparison to what he felt in the second half. Still, he managed to survive and keep Pittsburghs hopes for a division title and homefield advantage through the playoffs very much alive. "Its one of those things with him where youre literally are going to have to take him off the field on a stretcher to get him out of the play," Batch said. Wholesale Jerseys From China . "Our defence was embarrassing, pretty much from start to finish," Skiles said after Monta Ellis scored six of his 22 points in the final 2 minutes to help the Bucks hold off the New Orleans Hornets 117-113 on Saturday night for their third straight victory. Cheap NFL Jerseys .C. -- Brad Keselowski won the NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Saturday, leading the final 67 laps to give Penske Racing a winning start on auto racings biggest weekend. http://www.wholesalechinajersey.us.... .cas NFL Editor Justin Boone and Fantasy Editor Scott Cullen will compare fantasy football rankings and provide justification for some of the more notable differences in their opinions. [url=http://www.wholesalechinajersey.us.com/]Cheap Jerseys From China . Under Series rules, Hunter-Reay will now receive a 10-spot penalty on the starting grid for Sundays Edmonton Indy race. It was a brutal end to a tough day at the track for the 31-year-old Florida native. His No. 28 car struggled with grip issues all day during two practice sessions on the 2. Wholesale Jerseys . Justin Meram tied it for the Crew (3-4-2) in the 67th minute, 4 minutes after Dallas Zach Loyd was sent off for a second yellow card for his tackle on Meram. "I shot as hard as I could," Miranda said.MONTREAL -- There always seemed to be something on the line when the Montreal Alouettes and Toronto Argonauts met this season, and now theyre locked in their biggest must-win game of the year. The victor in the CFL East Division final at Olympic Stadium today earns a trip to the Grey Cup game. Dont miss all the action on TSN and TSN Mobile TV live NOW. Plus you can watch the pre-game warm-up and bonus video, chat live with Paul LaPolice and get in-game updates with TSN.ca Field Access, all live NOW. "I dont get caught up with people talking about rivalries," Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo said Saturday. "Its going to be a tough game whether you like the other team or not." The Alouettes won two of three meetings with Toronto this season to claim first place in the division, but that was before quarterback Ricky Ray and the Argonauts offence jelled for an impressive finish to the season. Toronto won their first meeting of the year with Montreal 23-20 on July 27 with Ray behind centre, but he was hurt in the first quarter of their next match-up on Sept. 23, a 31-10 victory the Alouettes needed to avoid losing the season series to the Double Blue. Jarious Jackson was in for the injured Ray as Montreal secured first place with a 24-12 win in Toronto on Oct. 14. In three games since returning from injury, including a 42-26 victory over Rays former team Edmonton in the East semifinal last Sunday, the veteran has completed 67 of 93 passes, a 72 per cent clip, for 922 yards and 10 touchdowns. "Everyones playing a lot better," said Ray, Torontos prize pick-up in a trade last winter. "Offensively, guys are starting to understand what were doing. "This was all new for everybody. People understand their roles. Guys arent thinking as much. Were just playing good football." Ray has faced the Alouettes four times in the playoffs with Edmonton, winning Grey Cup games in 2003 and 2005, losing a Grey Cup at home soil 2002, and dropping a 36-26 decision in the East final at the Big O in 2008. He knows it will be deafening in the domed stadium, where a crowd approaching 50,000 is expected. "The biggest challenge for us is the crowd noise," Ray said. "Weve just got to communicate really well. Its every road teams goal to get off to a good start and quiet the crowd." These are teams that know one another better than most. The Argos first-year head coach Scott Milanovich was Montreal boss Marc Trestmans offensive co-ordinator last season. Defensive co-ordinator Chris Jones and offensive line coach Steve McAdoo also once coached in Montreal. Quarterbacks coach Jason Maas was once one of Calvillos back-ups. Among the Argonauts who once played for Montreal are star receiver and kick returner Chad Owens, safety Etienne Boulay and tackle Chris Van Zeyl. "We had some success when I was with this (Montreal) organization, but our team is anxious and hungry to come out here and take that next step that weve been building toward all year," said Milanovich. &qquot;Its nice to be back, but it doesnt feel the same when youre on the other side.ddddddddddddquot; Montreal has won six of 10 meetings with Toronto in division finals, including the last three. The latest was in 2010, when the Alouettes crushed them 48-17. Belli played for the Argos in that game. The Toronto native came out of retirement near the end of the season to help shore up the defensive line. "My last professional game was here before I retired," he said. "Ive got a sour taste in my mouth, losing against the Birds here. "I cant wait to ruin their day." For Milanovich, the key to victory is turnovers. The Argos led the CFL in give-away, take-away differential this season at plus-10, but Montreal was third at plus-7. Of note is that four of Calvillos 14 interceptions were against Toronto, the most by any team. Another key is special teams, which has gradually improved from dreadful to not bad for Montreal over the season, while the Argos have a formidable returner in Owens, who set a league record in all-purpose yards with 3,863. But Owens had been held without a return touchdown this season until he broke one last week against the Eskimos. "It boosted the confidence of the whole return unit," he said. "You could see the excitement in their faces when we scored. I was a long time coming. And we said lets do it again. We want to provide that momentum swing again, that energy." The defences have been a toss-up, with Montreal giving up 27.2 points per game and Toronto 27.3. Montreal has been better at stopping the run, which will be a challenge for running back Chad Kackert, while Torontos had the edge against the pass, making it tough for star receivers Jamel Richardson and S.J. Green. Jones is considered one of the most creative defensive co-ordinators in the CFL, and the Alouettes are expecting the unexpected from Torontos pass rush and coverage. "Usually, teams dont like to blitz AC because he can get rid of the ball real quick and make them pay, but Jonesy does a lot of weird things, so I dont know," said Als offensive tackle Josh Bourke. "He could drop nine or bring eight. Weve got to see. But were prepared for whatever they do." And Toronto has the Belli factor. "I feel like my trash talking game is better than ever," the hulking mischief-maker said. "I cant wait to get our there and cause a little trouble and hopefully cause them to lose their concentration. "Calvillos like ice. Im just going to try to get to him before he throws the rock and undress him delicately." Both teams have questions about a key defensive player. Montreal safety Kyries Hebert, the leagues special teams tackles leader, turned an ankle in practice on Wednesday. Trestman said the injury has improved daily and he expects the veteran to play. Toronto has more concern for cornerback Patrick Watkins, who will work out his sore ankle Sunday morning to determine if he can play. If not, rookie Jalil Carter will take his place. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes