Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

to avoid a tie-breaker. "She was fight - Off Topic...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

to avoid a tie-breaker. "She was fight

Started by fengzhu, 2013/08/06 02:04AM
Latest post: 2013/08/06 02:04AM, Views: 393, Posts: 1
to avoid a tie-breaker. "She was fight
#1   2013/08/06 02:04AM
fengzhu
When it comes to goaltending, Mike Smith and Braden Holtby have certainly had their share of headlines leading the Phoenix Coyotes and Washington Capitals in goal. . Holtby, just 22 and third on the goalie depth chart to start the season, drew dramatic Dryden-esque comparisons with his playoff performance. Smith, who was placed on re-entry waivers by GM Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning just last year, has been instrumental in getting the Coyotes in the Western Conference Final. That said, you would think that Yzerman might be wanting Smith back on his side in the near future - not as the starting goalie for the Tampa Bay Lightning, but perhaps as a No. 1 netminder for Canada at the Sochi Olympics. And at 22, does Holtby deserve some consideration? With less than two years to go before the Games, he may enter the discussion with other Canadian backstoppers like Carey Price, Cam Ward and Olympic holdovers Marc-Andre Fleury and Roberto Luongo. So heres Daves question to you: "Assuming theres NHL participation at the Sochi Olympics, who is your current choice as Canadas starting goalie?" Here are the answers that Dave liked best: "Imagine Carey Price with a good team in front of him." - John "Big goalie. No rebounds. I would vote for Smith and so would Chicago and Nashville." - K Larsen "Unless someone supplants the goalie who won gold the last time, and as yet, no one has earned that right, its Roberto Luongo again." - Ben "Im ready to pick Luongo the minute he gets traded to the Leafs." - James "Fleury and Claude Giroux would be teammates if both make it, but Fleury wont." - Nick "Im all for new blood, as long as Cam Ward is the tried-and-true option in a group of three." - Randy "Braden Holtby shows poise and maturity beyond his years and he certainly bears watching for Sochi." - Cyril And Daves Reply to All: A year ago, Im guessing the answer to this question would have been Roberto Luongo - gold-medallist from 2010, the Canadian goalie with the best stats from the 2010-11 NHL season, and lest we forget, a year ago it looked as though Luongo might become a Stanley Cup winner too. A year later, hes hardly out of the mix but a year later, the best answer, in my opinion, is a guy who wouldnt have been on anyones list 12 months ago and thats Mike Smith. That should tell us that Canadas next Olympic goalie isnt necessarily on this years list.And we do need to see more of Braden Holtby, who wouldnt have been considered a month ago. Oh, for an automatic choice. Oh, how Canada has been spoiled for close to 20 years by Marty Brodeur. He just turned 40, but maybe somebody should ask what he thinks hell be doing at 41. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-donald-penn-jersey-u... Penn Jersey . Schild, the slalom world champion, finished in one minute 51.53 seconds to secure the 30th slalom win of her career. She had also won the season opener in Aspen, Colorado in November and the race in Courchevel, France, two days ago. . -- Jordan MacIntosh and John Grant Jr. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-andre-neblett-jersey... . At the stroke of Noon et/9am pt, over 300 unrestricted free agents hit the open market in search of new deals. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-kevin-ogletree-jerse... Ogletree Jersey . On Friday, former defensive tackle Bruce Smith died. He was 63. Smith had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and recently was admitted into a Toronto hospital. Smith played his college football at Colorado before beginning his CFL career with Hamilton in 1972. . The Montreal native finished ahead of Olympic teammates Brittany MacLean and Alexa Komarnycky, both from Toronto, in second and third respectively. "I was happy with my race tonight," said Jardin, who clocked a time of four minutes 9.NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Caroline Wozniackis 20-match winning streak in New Haven ended Friday when the four-time defending champion retired from her semifinal match with Maria Kirilenko with a knee injury. Wozniacki, who injured the right knee in her quarterfinal win Thursday, called for the trainer right after dropping the first set of the semifinal 7-5 to the 25-year-old Russian. "I could feel it from the start," she said. "But, you know, it just started to get a bit worse. I decided to stop because if you dont feel a hundred per cent, you cant compete at a hundred per cent. Its better to let it rest. I wasnt going to win this match anyways if Im not on a hundred per cent fit level." The third-seeded Dane had won all 20 matches she played at the tournament since entering as a relatively unknown 18-year-old in 2008. She hadnt dropped a set here since the 2010 final. Wozniacki was trying to join Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Chris Evert as the only players to win five consecutive championships at the same tournament. "You know, you defend it again and again, all of a sudden youre in this elite group that has won a tournament four times," she said. "I mean, theres a lot of players that never win a tournament and theres a lot of playeers that never win four. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-adrian-clayborn-jers... Clayborn Jersey. Winning the same one four times in a row is definitely special." That was part of the reason she decided to play Friday, despite the injury, which she suffered on a backhand return in the opening game of the second set Thursday against Dominika Cibulkova. She went on to win that match 6-2, 6-1 after getting the knee taped. She said medical experts had told her she would not hurt the knee further by playing Friday. She seemed to move well during the match, but had a hard time with Kirilenkos serve and did not get single break point in the set. Kirilenko broke Wozniacki in the 11th game and served out the set to avoid a tie-breaker. "She was fighting," Kirilenko said. "She was running. When I hit a great shot, she couldnt run for it. She made the right decision. She has to take a rest before the U.S. Open." The 25-year-old Russian will play either Sara Errani or Petra Kvitova in the finals, the first in the United States for the Olympic doubles bronze medallist . "Every match I feel that Im improving," Kirilenko said. "I found the way to play again on hard court, as grass court is different completely than hard. Today I played, I think, the best tennis in this tournament." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes