Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

inder of the progress Keith has - Off Topic Forum....

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

inder of the progress Keith has

Started by fengzhu, 2013/08/03 05:25AM
Latest post: 2013/08/03 05:25AM, Views: 477, Posts: 1
inder of the progress Keith has
#1   2013/08/03 05:25AM
fengzhu
ABBOTSFORD, B. .C. -- Brett Carsons season debut may not have come in the league he wanted, but it was definitely a success. The defenceman scored the winner in his first game of the 2012-13 campaign as the Abbotsford Heat defeated the Milwaukee Admirals 2-1 in American Hockey League action Saturday. Carson was sent down to the AHL by the Calgary Flames this week, joining three other players returning from the NHL camp. "Its been a while since Ive been in game action," said Carson, who trained in Calgary during the lockout. "I was a little rusty early on but I think I found my legs later in the game." Carson played 34 games last season in Abbotsford, scoring two goals and six assists. "Anytime you play you want to make a contribution," he said. "It was good to get into a game, even it is down here. Obviously everyones goal is to be in the NHL but this is where I am right now and I have to make the most of it." Ben Street, the Heats second-leading scorer, was another one of the players returned to the AHL. He was glad to see Carson have success in his debut. "Impressive for him, thats his first game of the year," said Street. "Hes going to help us a lot, however long hes here. If they keep that pairing of him and (Chris) Breen together, thats going to be pretty difficult to play against. He kept it simple for the most part, did a good job on the power play, hes going to be a great addition." Krys Kolanos had the other goal for Abbotsford (20-12-7), which has now won three straight. Danny Taylor made 24 saves in the victory. Taylor improved on his stellar January in which he has a goals-against average of 0.87 and a 0.959 save percentage while going 4-1-0. His best save may have been with seven minutes to go in the game when he robbed Taylor Van Guilder in close with a kick save to preserve the lead. "I think he had to make more great saves for us tonight to find us a win than maybe he did earlier this week," said Abbotsford head coach Troy Ward. "Youve got to give him good credit." Kevin Henderson scored the lone goal for Milwaukee (17-15-6), while Jeremy Smith made 25 saves in the loss. Kolanos opened the scoring for the Heat at 9:37 of the first period. Ben Walter sent Max Reinhart and Kolanos in on a 2-on-1 and after taking Reinharts perfect saucer pass, the Calgary native deked to the backhand and slid the puck under Smith for his 10th of the season. Carson then doubled Abbotsfords lead at 10:49 of the second. With one second remaining on a man advantage, Matczak set up a one-timer for Carson that Smith likely never saw through Quinton Laings screen. "He does that as well as anybody in this league," said Carson of the Heat captain, who will lead the AHLs Western Conference all-star team Jan. 28. "He was in front, I saw the lane, Matczak made a good pass to me and I just figured, Throw it on net and see what happens and luckily it went in." The Admirals got on the board at 16:13 of the period when Van Guilders initial shot was blocked by a Heat defender but came right back to Henderson, who beat Taylor high to the blocker side for his 10th of the season. Notes: Though Taylor has been stellar of late, it will be the Heats other goalie, Barry Brust, that will join Laing at the AHL all-star game. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-kevin-ogletree-jerse... Ogletree Jersey . Doctors told the former light heavyweight champion from Laval, Que., on Tuesday that he had tears in the shoulder and in a biceps muscle tendon, but they arent serious enough to keep him out a title fight in March against (Bad) Chad Dawson. .C. -- Mike Dunlaps reputation as a crazy worker was among the things that impressed the Charlotte Bobcats. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-gerald-mccoy-jersey-... . Selig was at Target Field on Tuesday for a celebration of MLBs Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program. He said "nobody believes it" but hell be done in 2 1/2 years, despite sentiment hell stay until 2016 to pass Kenesaw Mountain Landis as the games longest-serving boss. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-dashon-goldson-jerse... Goldson Jersey .C. -- The Tampa Bay Lightning werent about to let themselves fall behind on the road again. . The tournament opens the 34th Champions Tour season at Hualalai Golf Club. The field of 40 has champions from the past two years and major champions from the past five, plus eight sponsor exemptions.HELSINKI, Finland -- Duncan Keith is nowhere near satisfied. Despite boasting a resume that is the envy of virtually every NHL player -- with an Olympic gold, Stanley Cup and Norris Trophy -- Keith cant help but notice the room that remains in his trophy case. "Im proud of what Ive been able to accomplish so far, but I dont think Ive done a whole lot," Keith said Tuesday after Canadas practice at the IIHF World Hockey Championship. "In my mind, you look at some of the guys who I look up to like Nick Lidstrom: Ive won one Stanley Cup and hes won four; Ive got one Norris, hes won seven. "I havent really done anything." It helps explain why he jumped on a plane for Europe so soon after his Chicago Blackhawks were eliminated from the NHL playoffs. In fact, the 28-year-old defencemen thought that the five days off felt like an "eternity." Keith is one of three Canadian players who arrived at this world championship with a chance to join exclusive company. A gold medal in Helsinki would give him, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry a coveted spot in the "Triple Gold Club" as champions at the Olympics, world championship and Stanley Cup. "The first reason I came here was to win," said Keith. "Having that would definitely be a nice feather in the cap." Outside of goaltender Cam Ward, there wont be another player counted on more than him. Keith averaged a team-high 21 minutes 32 seconds of ice time through the first three games of the tournament and drew high praise from coach Brent Sutter for his play in Mondays victory over France. Injuries and late arrivals have kept the Canadian blue-line from getting into a regular rotation so far, but Keith has been counted on to provide some stability. It was no coincidence that 18-year-old junior prospect Ryan Murray was paired with him in the tournament opener and its no surprise hes seen time on the ice with virtually everyone else since. "Hes a guy thats won and has won on big stages," said Sutter. "And hes made an impact when doing so. Hes a great defenceman and were certainly glad hes here." Added teammate DDion Phaneuf: "He skates with the puck very well, he sees the ice great. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-jonathan-casillas-je... Casillas Jersey. Hes won the Norris for a reason -- hes one of the top defencemen in the NHL." The Canadian team is moving into an important part of the world championship. It will take a 2-0-1 record into Wednesdays game against Switzerland, which has proven to be an extremely tough opponent in recent years. Coached by Canadian-born Sean Simpson, the Swiss have arguably developed into the best team among the second tier of hockey nations and theyre capable of upsetting one of the top countries on any given night. "Theyre going to compete extremely hard and theyre going to be very structured," said Sutter. "Theyre one of those teams that just wont go away, its just the way they are." Its the same kind of mindset that propelled Keith to the NHL. He actively pursued a childhood dream of playing hockey at its highest level by refusing to let anything stand in his way. Never labelled a cant-miss prospect -- Chicago drafted him 54th overall in 2002 -- hes developed into a player every single team would love to have. Theres no real secret to his success. "Most importantly, I just wanted to make the NHL so bad when I was a kid," said Keith. "I always knew that I would find a way and I would do whatever it takes. I always had that determination and work ethic that I feel like I still have. "I think its helped my career." Its bound to result in more accolades being added to his trophy case in the coming years. A reminder of the progress Keith has made comes from the fact he was never given a chance to win gold with Canada at the world junior championship. Invited to the selection camp at age 18, Keith was cut from the team in December 2001. He wasnt able to make it the following year, either. "In my head, I thought I should have been on those teams," said Keith. "But obviously the coaches saw it differently and thats fine, I understand that. ... The main constant is I always knew what I was capable of. "Just because one team didnt believe in me, that didnt phase me." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes