Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ies as well as we are right now," Eakins s - Off T...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ies as well as we are right now," Eakins s

Started by a123456, 2013/07/25 04:16AM
Latest post: 2013/07/25 04:16AM, Views: 390, Posts: 1
ies as well as we are right now," Eakins s
#1   2013/07/25 04:16AM
a123456
MIAMI -- Pitching in air conditioning, Stephen Strasburg nonetheless soaked his jersey with perspiration after only a couple of innings. . The first-place Washington Nationals have reason to start sweating. Strasburg gave up a career-high seven runs in five innings Tuesday night and the Nationals losing streak reached five games when they were beaten by Ricky Nolasco and the last-place Miami Marlins 9-0. "Im sure theres not a pitcher in the history of baseball who has gone out there and done it every single time," Strasburg said. "I struggled for pretty much the whole game. Its a learning experience for me." Nolasco (10-12) allowed five hits in his third career shutout and eighth complete game. The shutout was the first for the Marlins at their new ballpark. The Nationals began the night with baseballs best record, but theyre saddled with a losing streak that matches their season high. "Weve played really good 90 per cent of the year," manager Davey Johnson said. "Were in a rough spot here. That makes the metal hotter. The tougher it gets, the stronger you get, so well be fine." Strasburg (15-6) came into the game with a streak of 27 consecutive scoreless innings against Miami in five starts since last September. But he gave up a homer to his second batter, Justin Ruggiano, and trailed 5-0 by the third inning. Strasburg shrugged off the significance of the drenched jersey, but Johnson said it was telling. "He was fighting himself a little bit," the manager said. "He gave up more hits than hes used to giving up. ... Hes such a perfectionist, when he gives up a hit hes going to be upset. Thats part of the maturation process for a young pitcher." Strasburg is expected to make perhaps four more starts before the Nationals shut him down for the year to protect his surgically repaired elbow. The drubbing doesnt change that plan, Johnson said. Strasburg said the Marlins adjusted to his inside fastball and didnt try to hit the ball the other way. "They had a little different approach this time, and I didnt make the adjustment," he said. "I just kept trying to do the same thing." The young right-hander, who had won his past four starts, allowed five earned runs and gave up nine hits to match a career high. He struck out only three but leads the NL with 186 strikeouts. Nolasco struck out five, walked none and lowered his ERA to 4.78. He retired 14 in a row and held the Nationals hitless until Kurt Suzuki singled with two outs in the fifth. The complete game was his second in the past three starts. "Anytime youre rolling like that, you want to finish it off," Nolasco said. Ruggiano had a career-high four hits in four at-bats and drove in two runs, while Giancarlo Stanton added three hits and three RBIs. Seven of the Marlins runs scored with two outs, and they totalled 13 hits. Ian Desmond (hamstring) and Michael Morse (hand), both sidelined last weekend with injuries, returned to the Nationals lineup but went hitless. "The good news about that one," Johnson said, "is it was only 2 1/2 hours." The Marlins scored twice off Strasburg in the first inning. Ruggiano hit his 13th home run. Carlos Lee doubled with two outs, then came home on a broken-bat single by Stanton. Miami added three runs in the third. Bryan Petersen led off with a single, stole second, took third on a groundout and came home when second baseman Danny Espinosa mishandled a grounder for an error. Greg Dobbs two-out single brought home two unearned runs to make it 5-0. Ruggiano had a two-out RBI single against Strasburg in the fourth. "Hes the toughest Ive faced in a game as far as overall stuff," Ruggiano said. "Hopefully hes tipping his cap to us, because I think we all had a good approach to him." Donovan Solano drove in the final run against Strasburg, extending his hitting streak to 11 games with a two-out RBI single in the fifth that made it 7-0. "Any team wants to come out and make a name for themselves off Stephen Strasburg," Desmond said. "The guy is one of the best pitchers in the game, and theyre not just going to lay down for him." NOTES: Nolasco had been 0-2 with a 6.35 ERA in his two previous starts this year against Washington. ... Jayson Werth went hitless and is 4 for 25 (.160) against Nolasco. ... The Marlins bullpen hasnt allowed an earned run against Washington in the past 31 1-3 innings. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-ryan-broyles-jersey-ol-54... Broyles Jersey . After earning their first walk-off win of the season Friday, the Astros followed it up with their first extra-inning win Saturday night. . Arsene Wengers team trails leader Chelsea by 10 points, after Norwich captain Grant Holt capitalized on goalkeeper Vito Mannones error in the 19th minute. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-matthew-stafford-jersey-a... . Cuban said before Saturday nights game against Memphis that he wanted to be clear with Nowitzki that he was committed "through thick and thin" to getting the team back in contention. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-reggie-bush-jersey-vd-78.... Bush Lions Jersey . Roethlisberger says he stepped on a teammates foot while dropping back to pass but insisted he is fine. He spent the latter portions of practice in the training room but was with the rest of the team when the locker room was open to the media afterward. . 7 Duke had no trouble knocking the rust off after a 10-day break and running its NCAA-best winning streak to 92 straight non-conference home games.TORONTO -- Its the toughest loss of Dallas Eakins coaching career. Mike Kostka scored a fluke goal in overtime as the Norfolk Admirals defeated the Toronto Marlies 1-0 in American Hockey League championship final action on Thursday. Kostka wristed a shot from centre on a dump-in 9:09 into overtime that deflected off a stanchion along the glass into the empty Marlies net. The Admirals now lead the series 3-0 after taking Games 1 and 2 last week in Norfolk, Va. "I would rather someone take a pair of steel-toed boots and hit me in a delicate region than to lose a hockey game like that," Eakins said. "That is a tough way to lose in the playoffs -- off a stanchion -- after our boys battled so hard. "I can never recall in any kind of league final a puck going in like that." It was such a fluke goal that many of the players and coaches didnt see it go in. "I was about to vent on something to (assistant coach) Steve Thomas," said Admirals head coach Jon Cooper. "I heard our fans and then I saw Kostka backing up and it was just disbelief. "Im sick to my stomach for Scrivens. That was a tough break for the kid. But Id rather obviously go in our favour instead of theirs. In saying that...I thought we actually earned it." Scrivens went out behind the goal to play the puck, lost it along the glass and only picked it up just as it went in the net. "Stuff happens -- thats the only explanation," he said. "It sucks to lose a game like that. But thats a one in a million thing. If you watch the replay, the puck was in almost before it hit that stanchion. "I was just hoping it wouldnt go in, but it looked like it even curled around the post to go in." The goal wasnt without controversy, however. "Its a real interesting one for the referees, too," Eakins said. "The puck comes out (of the zone). Then its rimmed in and theres a guy thats offside about eight to 10 feet. The ppuck hits the stanchion, but now hes onside and the puck goes in your net. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-jason-hanson-jersey-uw-39... Hanson Jersey. "Its a fairly grey area. Its something Ive never seen and Im sure the referees have never seen, either." Dustin Tokarski stopped 21 shots for his third shutout and 11th win of the post-season. Scrivens made 30 saves in defeat. After the first period, when Toronto outshot Norfolk 11-6, the Admirals took control of the game and outshot the Marlies 25-10 the rest of the way. "That first period, we did lay an egg," said Norfolk centre Cory Conacher. "We knew what we were in for and we were lucky to get out of that period 0-0." The Admirals thought theyd opened the scoring late in the second period. Tyler Johnson ripped a slapshot from the top of left circle and it appeared to beat Scrivens just inside the post, but the referee waved the goal off immediately. "It looked in to us," Cooper said. "I thought it was in, Stumpy (Tampa Bay Lightning player development consultant Steve Thomas) thought it was in. But in saying that, in the one video feed we had, it didnt appear to go in. I was shocked." Toronto went 0-for-6 on the power play is now 1-for-21 in the series. "Theyre killing penalties as well as we are right now," Eakins said. "Its tough for both teams to score on the power play right now." Toronto will try to stave off elimination in Game 4 on Saturday afternoon, while Norfolk has a chance to win its first ever Calder Cup. "Everyone on this team deserves everything were getting," Conacher said. "Weve worked so hard for this all year...But its not over yet." Notes: Mike Zigomanis was back in the lineup after missing four games to injury, replacing Jay Rosehill....Nazem Kadri missed his fifth straight game to injury... The game marked the first professional hockey game ever played in Toronto in June....Announced attendance was 8,084. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes