Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

three clean sheets in its first four games this ca...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

three clean sheets in its first four games this camp

Started by a123456, 2013/07/25 04:15AM
Latest post: 2013/07/25 04:15AM, Views: 411, Posts: 1
three clean sheets in its first four games this camp
#1   2013/07/25 04:15AM
a123456
SAN FRANCISCO -- Everything seemed effortless for Rory McIlroy last year in the U. .S. Open. He opened with a 65, then kept cruising at rain-softened Congressional en route to an eight-stroke win. This year at The Olympic Club, McIlroy might not even be around for the weekend unless he plays better than he did Thursday. He shot a 7-over 77 and was 11 strokes behind first-round leader Michael Thompson. "I just too many times was in the wrong position off the tee or with my second shot and it makes it very difficult," McIlroy said. "When youre trying to play catch up on this golf course, its very hard ... you have to be so precise. Anything just a little off and it really punishes you." Through 16 holes McIlroy had already missed 10 greens -- the same number he missed in four rounds at Congressional when he shot 16 under to set a record with the lowest score in championship history. He missed the last two greens as well and finished bogey-bogey. "Seven-over is a big hole for any player," 2010 U.S. Open champ Graeme McDowell said when asked about his Northern Ireland countryman. "Rory McIlroys a pretty good player though, so if anybody can come back from it, he can. But this golf course doesnt really offer up many 64s." Even on the reachable par-5 17th, McIlroy walked away with a bogey. Credit goes to Olympics tight, twisting fairways and rock-hard greens -- a stark contrast to Congressional. But there also was no energy to feed off of in the marquee afternoon grouping, which featured top-ranked Luke Donald, No. 2 McIlroy and No. 3 Lee Westwood. Donald shot a 9-over 79, and Westwood was 4 over through the first six holes before steadying himself and finishing at 73. Donald insisted there wasnt much time for chit-chat to boost one other. "The U.S. Open demands your full attention, and obviously Lee had a good back nine, but Rory and I both struggled," Donald said. McIlroy was so deep in the rough on No. 12 his next shot came out sideways, and led to another bogey. On 13, he threw a tired fist-pump when he finally hit the green and sank a birdie putt. But he couldnt keep it going. He mashed a 3-wood on the next tee, leaving him just 79 yards to the green on the 419-yard par 4. But he missed the green left with a wedge and had to settle for par. On the par-3 15th, McIlroys tee shot came up short and disappeared into the deep rough. He couldnt get any closer than 20 feet with his chip, and missed the par putt. The 77 was the third-highest opening-round score for a defending champion dating to 2001 -- with Angel Cabrera (2008) and Retief Goosen (2002) both posting 79s. "Theres a fine line on this golf course between (a) 68 and 78 really," McDowell said. "There really is. Its fine lines. And the key, one of the big keys this week is to get off to a nice start and dont let the place beat you up too early." McIlroy did just that, opening with a bogey then posting three more on the front nine and four on the back. It was a far cry from a year ago when, after his runaway victory, some were suggesting McIlroy might be the guy to challenge Jack Nicklaus benchmark of 18 majors. McIlroy looked better throwing out the first pitch at a San Francisco Giants game on Tuesday than he did negotiating Olympic on Thursday. He insisted he wasnt feeling the pressure as defending champion. "I tried to approach it like any other tournament I play," said McIlroy, who initially declined all interview requests before offering a few quotes 20 minutes after his round ended. "I tried to go out there and shoot the best score I could. And today wasnt my greatest day, but hopefully I can come out tomorrow morning and try and shoot a good one and at least try to be here for the weekend." McDowell expected as much. "Hell be coming out with guns blazing tomorrow trying to get himself back in the mix," McDowell said. McIlroy knows it wont be easy. "Ive got to hit it in the fairway for a start," he said. "And from the fairway, Ive got to hit it on to the green. You just keep it simple and try to hit fairways and try to hit greens and not be too greedy." [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/]Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jersey . The Texas A&M quarterback became the first freshman to be voted The Associated Press Player of the Year in college football on Tuesday. .D. -- North Dakotas rich college hockey history includes seven national championships, plenty of state pride -- and a decades-old dispute over the Fighting Sioux nickname. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-mason-foster-jersey-... . 3 Arizona is off to its best start in 25 years, thanks to a defensive play that no one saw coming -- except for Nick Johnson. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-donald-penn-jersey-u... Penn Jersey . Manager Bobby Valentine said before Saturdays game against the Chicago Cubs that the Red Sox are "going to take the conservative route. . And then it was the Canadian mens turn. And while they took their time to pull ahead, the men ended up savouring their own curtain call after a key 1-0 win over Panama moved them atop their World Cup qualifying group.NORWICH, England -- West Ham held firm to secure a dour 0-0 draw at Norwich in the Premier League on Saturday and maintain the teams impressive return to Englands top flight. Norwich had the better of the chances in a scrappy match at Carrow Road but couldnt find a way past a visiting defence that has kept three clean sheets in its first four games this campaign. Substitute Harry Kane sqquandered the best chance of the match for the hosts in injury time, shooting weakly at West Ham goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen after a counterattack to leave Norwich without a victory. [url=http://www.buccaneersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-dekoda-watson-jersey... Watson Jersey. This was its third draw in a row, having opened up with a 5-0 thrashing at Fulham. West Ham, which was without on-loan striker Andy Carroll because of injury, has seven points. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes