Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

dle of the round, and settled for - Off Topic Foru...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

dle of the round, and settled for

Started by a123456, 2013/07/22 11:11PM
Latest post: 2013/07/22 11:11PM, Views: 388, Posts: 1
dle of the round, and settled for
#1   2013/07/22 11:11PM
a123456
OAKLAND, Calif. . -- All it took to change the mood around the New York Yankees was a five-game winning streak that featured plenty of production from their big bats and a strong run through the rotation. Hiroki Kuroda pitched eight scoreless innings and Andruw Jones hit a solo homer that gave the Yankees their longest win streak of the season with a 2-0 victory over the Oakland Athletics on Sunday. "Youre going to have good stretches, youre going to have bad stretches," captain Derek Jeter said. "When things are going poorly its usually not as bad as it looks. When things are going good, youre always that good." Jeter singled to lead off the game for his 3,155th career hit, breaking a tie with Hall of Famer George Brett to move into sole possession of 14th place all-time. "Hes been the backbone of this organization for a long, long time and when a guy like that passes you, Id like to shake his hand and look him in the eye and say congratulations," Brett said in a statement released by the Yankees. Its the fourth Hall of Famer that Jeter has passed this month, following Tony Gwynn, Robin Yount and Paul Waner. Next up on the list is Cal Ripken at 3,184. "Its humbling when you hear those names because any name you pass is a Hall of Fame guy," Jeter said. "Its pretty special but Im not thinking about it." The Yankees got off to a strong start to their nine-game road trip by sweeping the three-game series in Oakland, extending their winning streak at the Coliseum to nine games. That is tied for the second-longest winning streak ever by a road team in Oakland, trailing only Baltimores 13-game run from 1976-79. Mark Teixeira added an RBI double in the seventh, giving him three homers and eight RBIs in the series as he has put the bronchial illness that slowed him earlier this season in the past. "Ive been waiting for that hot streak and I found it the last few days," Teixeira said. "Sometimes thats the name of the game, getting hot. As a team were winning games, which is great." The As managed just four hits off Kuroda (4-6) to wrap up a horrid homestand in which they went 1-5 and scored just eight runs against the Los Angeles Angels and Yankees. Oakland batted .157 for the homestand and lost the final five games for its longest skid of the season. The As get Brandon Inge back from the disabled list on Monday and hope injured Yoenis Cespedes and suspended Manny Ramirez will follow soon. Manager Bob Melvin said the team might have to speed the timetable for Ramirez because of the offensive woes. "Were beyond pressing at this point," Melvin said. "We have to try to relax. Were trying too hard. Were going to try a little easier." The lack of hitting wasted another strong home start from rookie Tommy Milone (6-4), who escaped a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the first and limited New York to Jones second-inning homer before tiring in the seventh. Milone allowed two runs and eight hits in 6 2-3 innings, leaving after Teixeiras double made it 2-0. This was the first time in five home starts that Milone allowed more than one earned run and that proved to be far too much to overcome as the As were shut out for the eighth time this season. "Obviously the team is struggling a little bit and you want to keep the team on top," Milone said. "Sometimes its hard because you feel like you have to make the perfect pitch every pitch, and sometimes it gets away from you. Youve got to go out and pitch your game and hopefully it works out." After allowing a leadoff single to Jemile Weeks, Kuroda retired the next 11 hitters. The As got two hits in the fifth but Kila Kaaihue hit into a double play after Seth Smiths leadoff single. The only real trouble Kuroda faced came in the seventh when the As put runners on first and third with one out. But Kuroda struck out Kaaihue and got Josh Donaldson to fly out to end the threat. "He just got a little rushed," catcher Chris Stewart said. "He was trying to force pitches instead of just throwing them. I just wanted to calm him down and let him know he doesnt have to try to overdo anything. Just trust his stuff and do what he did in the beginning of the game. Once he was able to take a breath and knew his stuff was good enough, he made some big pitches." Rafael Soriano pitched the ninth for his fifth save in as many chances. NOTES: New York improved to 26-11 in games with a homer. The Yankees are winless in 10 games when they do not go deep. ... Yankees C Russell Martin sat for a second straight day with a stiff neck. ... Oakland OF Coco Crisp stole two bases in the seventh to give him 29 straight successful steals, breaking Stan Javiers Oakland record of 28. ... Travis Blackley will make his first major league start for Oakland since 2007 in the opener of a three-game series in Minnesota on Monday. ... Orange County native Phil Hughes (4-5) takes the mound for the Yankees on Monday when they open a three-game series in Anaheim against the Angels. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-joe-flacco-jersey-fe-30.... Flacco Signed Jersey . He speaks so highly of the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland that some publications have referred to it as a bromance. . The autopsy says Seau died of a gunshot wound to the chest. The medical examiners office says it is awaiting a decision by the family on whether to turn over Seaus brain to unidentified outside researchers for study. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-christian-thompson-jerse... . The Brazilian baseball federation said Tuesday it will be "an honour and a privilege for Brazilian baseball" to have Larkin as its manager for the qualifier in Panama City from Nov. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-pernell-mcphee-jersey-il... McPhee Jersey . Ptaszek was named CIS coach of the year Wednesday night at the All-Canadian Awards Banquet. "Theres so many people that I respect, and so many programs that I look up to, that have been acknowledged this way, to be acknowledged is humbling and flattering and overwhelming," said Ptaszek. . Madrid qualified 5-2 on aggregate, but it was Ronaldos third goal in the 87th minute at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in the second leg that put the result of the last-16 match beyond doubt. It was Ronaldos third hat trick this season and the 18th of his Madrid career, but his opening goal in the third minute was the pick of the three.SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Tom Lehman took the lead in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship and moved closer to becoming the first player to win the season points title two straight years. Lehman birdied the final hole for an 8-under 62 and a one-stroke lead over Fred Couples on Saturday in the Champions Tours season-ending event. Couples also shot a 62 to join Lehman in the final group, making two eagles in a round that could have been much lower. "I really like the pairing," Lehman said. "Hopefully, he plays his best, and, hopefully, I play my best and well see what happens. ... You got to go out there and make birdies and shoot low again." Lehman shot the lowest round of his Champions Tour career for the second straight day. At 63-62 and 15 under, he was a stroke off the tour record for consecutive rounds set by Bruce Fleisher at 60-64 and 16 under in the 2002 RJR Championship. "I played really well the last two days, probably as well as Ive played in six months," said Lehman, a two-time winner this year. "I hit the ball very solidly both days. I gave myself a lot of chances for birdie. Ive made my share, obviously. I think the big thing though is the saves. Ive made a couple of really amazing key saves over the last couple of days." Couples is playing for the first time since a back injury forced him to withdraw during the first round of the Boeing Classic outside Seattle in late August. Before this week, he hadnt completed a competitive round since winning the Senior British Open in July for his second victory of the year. "If I can play like this every two months, I think I might finish my career playing four times a year and just say, "The heck with it," Couples said, joking. Lehman was 17 under after three days in perfect conditions on Desert Mountains Cochise Course. He entered the week second behind Bernhard Langer in the Charles Schwab Cup competition for a $1 million annuity. Langer, tied for 10th at 6 under after a 70, was a projected 529 points behind Lehman after starting play Thursday with a 2111-point lead. [url=http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/autographed-anthony-allen-jersey-wu-... Allen Jersey. The tournament winner will get 880 points, with players receiving a point for every $500 they earn in the $2.5 million event. Langer eagled the par-5 18th hole to get a little closer to Lehman, who would win the title with a tournament victory no matter where Langer finishes. "I was certainly not happy with my day today," Langer said. "My mindset has to be aggressive tomorrow. Ill pretty much go at everything." Jay Haas, five strokes ahead of Lehman at the start of the round after matching the tour-record Friday with a 60, had a 69 to drop two strokes back. "I just wasnt as sharp," Haas said. "But the birdie at the last hole still gives me a chance tomorrow, and leaves a better taste in my mouth." Lehman made his best par save on the par-4 16th, holing a bending 35-foot putt from the fringe after popping up a 3-wood drive into a rock outcropping in the middle of the fairway. "I might have teed it up a hair too high, but I just popped it up and it landed right in the rocks," Lehman said. "I actually got kind of lucky that I could at least chip it out and hit a 9-iron." His putt broke about 5 feet. "It was one of those ones, quite frankly, I was just hoping to get close," Lehman said. "It was going to take my licking and keep on ticking with a bogey." He then holed a 20-footer for birdie on the par-3 17th and got up and down for birdie from the front greenside bunker on the 18. Couples chipped in for eagle on the par-5 eighth, his low runner veering to the right in the last few feet. He hit a 3-iron from 239 yards to 8 feet on the par-5 15th to set up his second eagle, and got to 16 under with a 20-foot birdie putt on 17. He also missed five birdie tries inside 12 feet in the middle of the round, and settled for a par on the 18 after hitting his approach into the greenside bunker well left of the flag. "I did leave a couple out there, but I made a couple of nice 20-footers and, obviously, chipped in on No. 8 for eagle," Couples said. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes